I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my next rifle purchase. I have found an AK 74 I want, and likewise an AK 47 I want. Only enough money for one. I could go either way on this, but I'm leaning towards the AK 74. Aside from my Saiga 12, this will be my first AK platformed rifle, and might be my only one for quite some time.

What I would like is the informed opinion of you folks as to which you prefer and why? Accuracy of one vs. the other, cost to shoot, etc. will all figure into my decision. Just looking for the merits of the one vs. the other in general.

Comments?

That's a lot of question with little facts to back it up.

You do realize there are over 50 variants EACH of both those rifles here in the USA?

Are you looking at kit builds? If so, who built it and from what?

Are you looking at pre-bans? If so, tell us what it is.

To answer your question, we need more info.

Now, I'm gonna go and suggest you get yourself a nice Saiga rifle (in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39) and convert it yourself.

This'll take the guesswork out of "where did my rifle originate?" if you are looking at a kit build. Believe me, a good blast and park will cover up a lot of "holy cow! I wish I'd seen that!"

Edited by nalioth

I have no emotional attachment to various builds, as I own none. While I beleive I could convert a Saiga following tutorials here, I have neither the needed workspace nor the time to invest.

The 47 and 74 are both built on Nodak receivers from parts. The 47 from Romanian G parts, the 74 from Bulgarian parts. Both have US made barrels, - 4140 Chrome Moly, Chrome Lined.

Not trying to get into a hair splitting discussion over part desirability, just looking for the merits of one caliber over the other, potential accuracy of the rifles, and availibility of ammo and accessories for both.

About every AK importer on the market has had stones thrown at their product on this forum, I don't want another rehash of that in this thread please....

Edited by Jpanzer
I have no emotional attachment to various builds, as I own none. While I beleive I could convert a Saiga follwing tutorials here, I have neither the needed workspace nor the time to invest.
So I guess you missed the post where the guy did it on his patio table in a couple of hours?
The 47 and 74 are both built on Nodak receivers from parts. The 47 from Romanian G parts, the 74 from Bulgarian parts. Both have US made barrels, - 4140 Chrome Moly, Chrome Lined.
Who built 'em? As I remarked in your other thread, the builder is 95% of "a good rifle".
Not trying to get into a hair splitting discussion over part desirability, just looking for the merits of one caliber over the other, potential accuracy of the rifles, and availibility of ammo and accessories for both.
Well, if your parts kit was used as the company training rifle, and has had 9zillion rounds run through it before it was cut up and sent over here as parts, it's not gonna be accurate for nothin'.

All things considered, the 5.45x39 is gonna be more accurate.

Accessories? 95% of the AKM and AK74 are interchangeable. Anything you see marketed for "AK rifles" (aside from caliber-specific parts) will fit any of 'em in a military caliber.

Ammo? Milsurp 5.45x39 (complete with combloc corrosive primers) is cheap right now. However, that situation won't last forever. Hopefully some US companies will pick up the caliber for domestic production (so it can be reloaded more easily). Unless Washington sticks their thumb in it (again), the "animal ammo" in both calibers should be steady in supply from the former combloc countries.

Who in the USA makes AK barrels with chrome lining? Inquiring minds want to know.

AK 74-shoots softer, can still find cheap ammo. AK 47-IMHO is the better choice just for the hitting power factor and ammo can be found at a decent price. nalioth is right about all the different versions (47 or 74), if you haven't handled one, get your hands on a few and get a feel for what stock feels good to to, does it have an optics mount or not, etc.

More or less the choice is the same as a .223 or a .308, small round or large one.........

I like the 74's and I have had a bunch of both. Bulgie is far better than a romy. I would look at arsenal rifles if you plan to buy new. Good selection and quality. Used is fine as well, just know what you are buying. After you shoot a 74 there is no going back.....

That's a tough decision. Without seeing the individual rifles you are looking at for comparison, it is impossible to give you anything but a generalized answer.

My gut tells me you should go with the 7.62x39, and the gut's backed up by a few good reasons. Some pros for the 7.62x39 variants:

• 7.62x39 is generally thought to have more stopping power than 5.45x39.
  • 7.62x39 non-corrosive ammunition is readily available and fairly inexpensive (as little as $.25 a round plus ship right now if you buy 1000 at a time)
  • 7.62x39 is produced domestically, as well as in foreign nations outside the old comm-bloc countries. In the event that imports from Eastern Europe are cut off, other options (albeit expensive ones) remain. This also means you can readily obtain brass-cased, boxer-primed ammunition in case you wish to reload or just want to baby the rifle.
  • Everybody and their brother makes magazines to feed your 7.62x39, in 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 47, 50, 75, and 100 round capacities (might have missed a few there, but you get the idea)
  • Reliable magazines are readily available made of plastic or metal, and some plastic magazines are produced domestically. Additionally, Magnolia State Armory makes a mag well conversion that will allow the rifle to use AR-style magazines, which can be had for $20-$30 new, made by C-products.

• Some pros for the 5.45x39 variants:
  • Very cheap corrosively-primed steel-core milsurp ammunition is available, and it will keep for a very long time.
  • Very low recoil, even in comparison to the fairly low recoil of the 7.62x39.
  • Higher accuracy, generally - obviously it will vary rifle to rifle.
  • Very good for varmint extermination; accuracy and small projectile diameter make it a shoe-in.
  • It can be suppressed with a .223 can (I know, I'm reaching here... trying hard to think pro-5.45 thoughts...)
  • Not sure here, but I believe the cartridge is smaller than the 7.62x39, so you could readily carry more ammunition

Whatever you decide, good luck.

I just went through the same thing. 5.45 or 7.62. Since I used to have a 7.62 I went with the 5.45. Almost no recoil. I cannot comment on accuracy yet but I'm sure it will be better. I just bought a Polish Tantal. Fit and finish is great. 10x better than my old Romanian and I do not have any keyhole issues that you may read about with this rifle. The bore is not chrome lined. If you want chrome get one from Atlantic Firearms for about 200 more.

Ammo for both calibers has been available from manufacturers like wolf for quite some time now. I have old magazines with 5.45 from wolf selling cheaper than 7.62. The good thing is 5.45 surplus is very cheap now, about $160 for 1080 rounds. Mags are a little more expensive for 5.45 but they a available all over the net right now. The $20 surplus ones is excellent.

If you want a cheap 7.62 check out Henderson Defenses WASRs. They certify that all the little things like canted front sights are fixed before they ship them. I met the owner at a local Shoot and he is an outstanding guy.

7.62x39

Projectile mass= Damage and Penetration

Better barrier penetration(cars,bricks,wood)

High quality ammo available

Wider availability

5.45x39

Flatter shooting

Slightly longer usable range

Lower recoil impulse

cheaper ammo(while available)

Atlantic, can you post who the manufactuer is, because I bought one last year from my local dealer, and it was a POS, he tried to fix but made it worse and then wouldn't make it good. I finally "kind of" chunked it over the counter at him and and told him that I wanted my money back, didn't get it all, and won't be buying anymore of these from him.