308 Winchester chambered rifle + 16 inch barrel = bad

I'll leave that one open to interpretation.

nope. you are right. seals aren't using em. not like everyone is saying. They use a 14 all sopmod'd out. barrel still at 20"....find one real operator that uses that 16"....you wont.......

armchair commandos only need apply.

I have seen several posts on this site that have said that (at least Saiga) 16" Barrels were more accurate. I wouldnt know the difference I dont have a 308. I will say I dont care who uses it I think its a bad ass looking gun.

I have seen several posts on this site that have said that (at least Saiga) 16" Barrels were more accurate. I wouldnt know the difference I dont have a 308. I will say I dont care who uses it I think its a bad ass looking gun.

that may be just the saiga ak style.....this is the only time i've ever heard 16" is the most effective length for .308 barreled.

Dodge: Agreed. I believe the topic of barrel length on the saiga 308 has come up several times, but to my knowledge no one has ever offered compelling evidence that the shorter barreled rifles are more accurate.

It seems to me that if one is going to need a short weapon for whatever reason, it should be in a more appropriate caliber. 16"s is really even too short for the normal 5.56 load. However, with pistol calibers a barrel of that length would provide a number of benefits. That said, I'm not entirely sure that American 9mm loadings are up to the job, but European 9mm might be. Personally I think 10mm would be great for a service pistol/carbine combination.

On a side note, I just tend to think that those short barreled M1As tend to be ugly as sin. Much less appealing than the original M14.

Dodge:  Agreed.  I believe the topic of barrel length on the saiga 308 has come up several times, but to my knowledge no one has ever offered compelling evidence that the shorter barreled rifles are more accurate.

It seems to me that if one is going to need a short weapon for whatever reason, it should be in a more appropriate caliber.  16"s is really even too short for the normal 5.56 load.  However, with pistol calibers a barrel of that length would provide a number of benefits.  That said, I'm not entirely sure that American 9mm loadings are up to the job, but European 9mm might be.  Personally I think 10mm would be great for a service pistol/carbine combination.

On a side note, I just tend to think that those short barreled M1As tend to be ugly as sin.  Much less appealing than the original M14.

I think they are todays equivalent(not by caliber) of the M1 carbine.......kinda that role......but with precision in mind....

I just hate anything less than 18" barrel with 5.56mm when folks start talking accuracy.....I've engaged paper targets at 500yd, and kicked ass with proper sight alignment/sight picture, and proper breathing(as taught)....And actual combatants at roughly 300yds with my M16A2...I go with what I know works....I don't look forward to the Army giving me an M4A3 anytime soon.......

Honestly...I've always wanted an M1 from Springfield....just the standard match model though....

It worked for my father in Vietnam as a LRRP...it'll work for me.....

I think the length issue is more due to barrel harmonics, giving the layout of the connecting parts on the AK. That, and the overall thickness of the barrel.

i.e. where the lower handguard retainer is ( different obviously on the saiga ), front gas port, etc.

I know that on the Panther .308, there is a noticable different between the 18" and 24" barrels. Of course, since the longest range I go to regularly is 100yards, its academic for me.

It's interesting you mention that Dodge. My father is currently building a replica of the M21 he used in Vietnam. It's based on a Poly-Tech M14 clone. The only thing missing currently is the scope mount. Basically, the only orignal parts on it (the way the gun came) are the receiver and the barrel, possibly the gas cylinder. The rest is US.

Best of luck to you if you do get issued an M4. I'll be praying for you. ; ) ... and every other soldier cursed to endure it.

Honestly, I'm not sure why they havent just modified the M1 carbine to accept higher pressure ammunition (possibly 223?). Either way, what I think the armed forces need is a TRUE submachine-gun. Instead of chopping down a longer weapon and praying. :angel: