.223 Saiga Conversion mag choice.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should be more specific about this, otherwise you'll have folks hogging out their mag wells "Century angry beaver style" and then badmouthing the gun when it rattles and flops more than a ill-main

i just got two Circlo 10s for $37 shipped on gunbroker. They fit pretty nice in the Saiga after just opening the magwell up some.

You should be more specific about this, otherwise you'll have folks hogging out their mag wells "Century angry beaver style" and then badmouthing the gun when it rattles and flops more than a ill-maintained Model T.

The part you 'open up' is here:

interdiction-tab-saiga_1447.JPG

PLEASE do not touch any other area of your mag well.

filigree.png

CCB, I run both types in my Saiga. With the removal of the interdiction tab (shown above), both types run like grain through a goose.

With Bulgarian mags:

saiga556_1246.JPG

With Galil mags:

saiga556_663.JPG

So I guess what I'm sayin' is "they're selling you a bill of goods" when they ask "which mags to cut your Saiga for", because both of the types you're after work fine with just the interdiction tab removed (I didn't have to mod the mag catch to use the Bulgies, either).

Ya got me kinda concerned as to who's doing your rifle.

• Like 1

Red stick/Red Jacket is doing a build for me.

Will the Saiga take the steer IMI Galil mags with that mag mod, or is there more involved in getting the Steel galil mags to work?

i just got two Circlo 10s for $37 shipped on gunbroker. They fit pretty nice in the Saiga after just opening the magwell up some.

You should be more specific about this, otherwise you'll have folks hogging out their mag wells "Century angry beaver style" and then badmouthing the gun when it rattles and flops more than a ill-maintained Model T.

The part you 'open up' is here:

interdiction-tab-saiga_1447.JPG

PLEASE do not touch any other area of your mag well.

filigree.png

CCB, I run both types in my Saiga. With the removal of the interdiction tab (shown above), both types run like grain through a goose.

With Bulgarian mags:

saiga556_1246.JPG

With Galil mags:

saiga556_663.JPG

So I guess what I'm sayin' is "they're selling you a bill of goods" when they ask "which mags to cut your Saiga for", because both of the types you're after work fine with just the interdiction tab removed (I didn't have to mod the mag catch to use the Bulgies, either).

Ya got me kinda concerned as to who's doing your rifle.

Will the Saiga take the steer IMI Galil mags with that mag mod, or is there more involved in getting the Steel galil mags to work?

Dunno, I've never dealt with the steelies.

Galil polymers are pretty cheap, in comparison, and much more common.

Numrich had some today at 39.99 each......

Price being equil I prefer the steel mags.

You've gotten the steel Galil mags to work in your Saiga? What was involved?

Edited to add: never mind. Evidently, reading comprehension isn't my strong suit tonight.

Edited by protected static
The weakest link in my AR-15s are the mags.

Do I really want to shoe horn that same weak link into my Saiga?

Bulgy Circle 10's please.

Yes, but you can buy a wonderful spring from CMMG and a great follower from the same source and end that problem! It's still cheaper than any other kind of mag. The Spring is a braided AK type that should never give out.

I bought a converted Saiga that had 4 orlites with it and the bullet guide. I have since bought 4 more orlites and now 4 steel mags and have used the steel mags before and they work without any modification except the bullet guide which both need I am sure. I like 5 extra rounds and the quality of the galil mags is great.

I just tried my Bulgy Circle 10's yesterday after grinding the interdiction tab naolith(Thanks for the pics) speaks of. The mags work well and i dont have a bullet guide, it could do better but nothing the Saiga cant fix on its own. However i had 2 rds slam into the trunnion and a couple of misfeeds but these could both be fixed with a bullet guide.

where do you find yours redsoldier? i always see galil orlites going for 10 - 20$ more than the bulgies.

I actually bought mine off the shelf of a local store for $15 a piece. I bought 7, which was every one they had left. I really like these mags, honestly.

I haven't tried a steel galil mag in it yet to see how that works, I've just been running the orlies I have. I'll have to pick up a steel mag sometime and try it.

The differance in setting up your magwell for orlites and steel is that the guys at Red Jacket will champfer your magwell if using steel mags. The steel ones have a steel palte on teh side to give them thickness, adn this can drag when you take the mag out, so they champfer it for you - hence why he might have asked if you want to run steel or orlite. other than that, there are no other differances in the setup.

What would be the method for use of steel weiger or steel romanian? would rechamber be required or is mag mod possible?

Do what?

Weigers and their Romanian clones are for .223/5.56x45 NATO. Why would rechambering be needed?

These guns are all made slightly different, depending on the day and proximity to beer-o-clock at the plant.

The mods to fit a Bulgarian 5.56x45 waffle will get you into the ball park for the use of Weigers or their Romanian clones. You'll then be able to see what needs a little 'polish' for them to work.

thanks guys, that clears the confusion. i was searching the forums, but all i could find was some old threads. They made it sound as if it would need the magwell modded to allow the space difference in a way similar to the mod needed for MSA's AR adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted Orlite because I bought a bunch before they really dried up. If I were back to square one, I'd go Bulgy. Unless there is some warehouse somewhere filled with Orlites, it is going to get ever more stressful trying to go the Orlite route.

• 5 months later...

I vote NEITHER: but that wasn't a choice. If I "Needed" magazines for "REAL WORLD" situations, I want original magazines that were made/meant for that rifle. E.g. Saiga or Surefire magazines. And that would be the #1 reason for using the Renegade (NOT MSA) adapter. It can be removed as quickly as removing the magazine. You could then use the quality Saiga or Surefire magazines that were meant specifically for the weapon, and not have to deal with adaptation that MIGHT fail when you need it most. And being Russian American Armory seems to sponsor and promote surefire magazines, I trust those. Again; for "Real World" situations where it's NEEDED. For day to day use, whatever you want is fine. But I prefer any change/modification done to adapt to other magazine, be IMMEDIATELY REVERSIBLE if needed. That's why I think the Renegade AR-15 adapter is perfect. In 3.5 seconds, it can be removed, and factory OEM magazine can be put back in. Dinzag bullet guides don't allow for the immediate use of factory mags. Relying on modifying magazines, or the weapon in order to make a magazine work is open to risk of failure. But if a modification can be removed instantly, like the renegade AR15 adapter, you get the best of all worlds.

I tried using 2 steel galil mags in my Saiga and could not get them to work. The bolt would ride over the bullet and catch it about 1/4 inch up, jamming the bullet into the chamber wall. The mags snapped right in but looked like they just sat to low in the rifle. I've heard about adding material to them to make them sit up higher but that sounds like a pain so I'm selling them. And before anyone asks, I do have a bullet guide installed. I guess i will pick up some bulgys after i find time to do the conversion.