"Due to recent problems with Silver Bear we have discontinued it&

I've noticed the 7.62x39 silver bear ammo at ammunition to go and the armory has disappeared.

The Armory even says, "Due to recent problems with Silver Bear we have discontinued it."

I'm just wondering WHAT that problem might be since I just bought a lot from ammunition to go like 3 weeks ago.

I did a search but didn't find anything (except a few people saying that Silver Bear was being discontinued due to corrosion problems, which is doubtful though we've all heard that it'll rust faster than the Brown or poly stuff).

Any ideas?

I've fired thousands of rounds of Barnaul, both silver Bear and Brown Bear in 7.62x39 and 223. It was clean, accurate, and always performed 100%. The only thing I have had happen is the projectile fell out of one while I was loading a magazine.

Yeah, I've never heard ANYTHING bad about silver bear (except that some people have pointed out that it can corrode in wet environments).

Most people seem to think it shoots even a bit cleaner and/or more accurate than the Brown Bear--both of which, again, so I've heard/read, tend to be a bit cleaner/more-accurate than Wolf.

Yeah, it's still available in some calibers around the web, but the 7.62x39 seems to have disappeared. I'm just wondering if it was a distribution problem or a batch of hard-primers or what.

I once got a few boxes of Winchester White Box 9mm that gave me a few problems--and I later read online that a shipment went out--mostly to wal-marts--with a ton of hard-primers.

I'll email the Armory and see what they say.

Silver Bear seems to work fine for me, other than the corrosion thing, which everybody already knew about.

I did a simple test.

I left several lacquer cased empties, and Silver Bear empties outside in the elements during the winter, the snow melted, and the lacquer cases looked almost new, and the Silver Bear cases had a white fuzz around them where the zinc coating had started to corrode.

At least they look cool.

That's disappointing since it is my favorite ammo. My only hope is a reintroduced Silver Bear will pass a magnet test too, since some places seem to be dicks about ammo that responds to a magnet (not anywhere I would go, but this seems to be coming)

I've noticed the 7.62x39 silver bear ammo at ammunition to go and the armory has disappeared.

The Armory even says, "Due to recent problems with Silver Bear we have discontinued it."

I'm just wondering WHAT that problem might be since I just bought a lot from ammunition to go like 3 weeks ago.

I did a search but didn't find anything (except a few people saying that Silver Bear was being discontinued due to corrosion problems, which is doubtful though we've all heard that it'll rust faster than the Brown or poly stuff).

Any ideas?

well I dont know about the 7.62 stuff but I bought a couple of boxs of 9mm at the phoenix gun show and they wont chamber into my SR9 ruger 1 box being hollow point and the other ball and neither one works never buy that garbage again!

Any ideas?

well I dont know about the 7.62 stuff but I bought a couple of boxs of 9mm at the phoenix gun show and they wont chamber into my SR9 ruger 1 box being hollow point and the other ball and neither one works never buy that garbage again!

Make sure you didn't buy 9x18 Makarov... It's nominally 9mm, but the actual diameter is higher than 9x19 (9mm Luger/9mm Parabellum) and it will NOT work in your weapon chambered for 9x19.

Any ideas?

Just put 150 rounds of Brown Bear 9mm Luger through my new Glock 26 yesterday. No problems and I'll be buying more.

Any ideas?

Just put 150 rounds of Brown Bear 9mm Luger through my new Glock 26 yesterday. No problems and I'll be buying more.

That was my favorite ammo when I could find it. i shot a lot of it and it worked flawlessly. It was cheap, and I accidentally shot down a tree with 4 shots once.

Never any problem with SB. Any steel unlacquered ammo is going to rust faster thats kind of like complaining about gravity. It is more accurate than Wolf and costs less so hate to see this.

Have had trouble finding it in 308 FMJ as well but I love that stuff, while SP is everywhere but only use it for hunting.

Edited by Rhodes1968

I would like to know what problems they had. To me Barnaul Brown Bear and Silver Bear work perfectly fine and seem less dirty than Wolf ammo. I had three defective rounds in my firing thousands of rounds of Russian ammo they may have been Wolf or Barnaul.

I hate to see Silver Bear disappear from shelves (unless they are sold to shooters). It's good ammo and it works. It's also non corrosive.