newbie----why use or install magwells?

Some guys want one because they compete and speed matters. Some want one because they want to make their S-12 work like an AR.

Still others just want every possible accessory, or because they think it's cool.

Personally I like shooting with the drum so I probably won't be getting one.

Still others just want every possible accessory, or because they think it's cool.

In almost every other AK-related forum I have been a part of, most are traditionalists and keep their AK as close to factory spec as possible. This forum is like Bizzarro-world where everything is the opposite....just look in the photo gallery. Lasers, lights, optics, rails, VFG's, etc. To each their own, I just prefer the simple design as old Mikail intended it. :smoke: That being said, I do like to add my own touch to my Ak's to make them uniquely mine.

In almost every other AK-related forum I have been a part of, most are traditionalists and keep their AK as close to factory spec as possible. This forum is like Bizzarro-world where everything is the opposite....just look in the photo gallery. Lasers, lights, optics, rails, VFG's, etc. To each their own, I just prefer the simple design as old Mikail intended it. :smoke: That being said, I do like to add my own touch to my Ak's to make them uniquely mine.

Good point, I think that the reason for that is that a Saiga 12 is a spin off from the AK-47, but can never be an AK-47. Keeping a Saiga 12 close to factory configuration means not hardly modifying it at all. However, at least one member here actually prefered the "sporting" factory configuration. I believe that most modify their Saigas to increase performance rather than try to maintain any type of historical integrity. This behavior likely carried over to the 7.62x39mm Saigas as well.

The saiga 12 is and has been evolving. It is a platform for modification.

The magwell is just another evolving modification to enhance or increase the firearms potential. In the magwell case, faster reloads.

Edited by red_cedar
The saiga 12 is and has been evolving. It is a platform for modification.

The magwell is just another evolving modification to enhance the firearms potential. In the magwell case, faster reloads.

Faster reloads and better positioning of a forward vertical grip.