Original AK Bullet Guide Fits a Flat Trunnion Saiga Perfectly

I bought an original guide for about $15 and it fits the gun perfectly

You will have to remove the rivet indicated by the red dot in the last picture. I don't know what this rivet does but it doesn't look like it's needed.

It also takes some creative wiggling to get it the correct position. I have done it several times now but I never seem to know what exact motion gets it in there :)

I plan to secure it with a 6-31 counter sunk screw but before I do that I have a few questions

It extends past the trunnion which you can see in this picture:

BG03.jpg

Is this normal or should I grind the front edge a little to make it fit better?

The mag seats fine and the bullets look like they will easily clear the guide but I don't know how a normal AK looks so I don't know if this is how it's supposed to fit.

BG01.jpg

Here is the image that shows which rivet has to be removed.

BG02.jpg

Edited by Boba Debt

I know Dinzags guide sits FLUSH with the REAR EDGE of the TRUNNION area..

That lip may interfere with the front mag tabs on certain mags... Guessin here...

I would say try it all out and try feeding it by hand. The hole may not be NEEDED but the primer powder may blow thru it??? Again guessin here.

I'd grind the HIGH side off (and keep my rivet) and grind the other edge to be flush (like Dinz's)..

Thats just me though.. IMHO..

Let us know how it functions.. Be careful..

The overhang is there on real AKs. Dinzags one is the only one I know of that fits flush. If you look at the angles, a longer non flush ramp would be optimal (99.9% of the millions of AK's cant be wrong) But both work. Whatever you do dont go grinding down your original style bullet guide because it will probably stop working. Look at an Ak mag, it has the cutout in the front FOR the bullet guide.

You removed the so called "Third Rivet" a nice feature of the AK-100 series. You should probably stop removing rivets/grinding things before you understand what they do.

"So-called "third rivet" used in some production from 1991 and by 1994 appears to be present in all production. This "starter post" or "bump starter," which acts as a bearing surface and helps the bolt unlock, is now a separate part that can be replaced, and not part of the riveted in feed ramp."

I'll bet that hardened rivet was a pain to remove too. Since you have removed th 3rd rivet, you are now required to run the original style bullet ramps.

This pic is from an AK-103 clone and is the closest ive seen to what a real AK-103 guide looks like, although ive never seen any for sale.

riveted_bg_ak103.jpg

Edited by jabara572

Thanks for the info

Regarding the third rivet - It was easier to remove then the other rivets. It drilled like soft steel and didn't make those crunchy sounds the other rivets made.

There was no way the bullet guide would have gone in with it installed. With the bullet guide in place, the hole it covered so I doubt much of anything will come out of it. The top edge on the left side has some interesting machined features that may be a a bearing surface for the bolt.

When I talk with Bachir he told me that Arsenal uses the same bullet guide on all of their conversions.

He also told me to grind the front tabs to make it fit until the barrel was at the edge of the machined groove.

It took about 30 seconds to get it to fit. I will mount it tomorrow and post some pictures of it with the modifications.

K-var has them for $15

It comes with a rivet that might be a replacement for the original.

It looks too big to fit in the counter sunk hole for mounting the BG and it fit the third rivet hole perfectly.

Edited by Boba Debt