Best Saiga gas puck

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You really need to own all pucks to answer this question accuratly.

I hate to speak for sinners (AKA BATFE), but they mainly enforce 922R as a pile on charge in conjuction with actually crimes. For example; if you rob a bank, you will get charged for the bank robbery

I voted for the KA puck because it allowed my brother to shoot his reloaded ammo. He did had the GUNFIXER plug prior to buying the KA puck, but was not able to cycle his reloads. When he used the KA P

if your gun cycles great with the stock one & you dont have compliance issues, is there any reason to get a different one?

If you change any parts on your S-12, the puck counts as +1 towards your 922r compliance.

I vote the OEM Puck, because I have never seen an advantage of any of these over it, except if you need them for 922R compliance.

However, I would love for any real advantage to be demonstrated!

I voted Chaos because that is what I have. I give it the edge over the Russian original because the leading edges of the Chaos puck are not chamfered like the Russian one. To me, that is an added benefit in cleaning the gas block. It acts as a scraper in there. Otherwise, the design is much the same as the original.

Until somebody can show me an ATF letter stating that the puck is the countable part I'm not banking on it. Yes, theoretically it should be, but no one has ever asked for a official determination from them. They could just as easily be counting the carrier extension as the piston as in a normal AK, since they are not counting it as an op rod.

I voted KA tappet because,....

I have had most of the others except the twister ones.

The KA one works with all loads on all settings and made a slight but noticeable improvement to cycling low brass.

Changing the setting on the gas plug and choke are enough to do,.. I am not so hip on having to change out gas plugs for different types of rounds,..

FWIW,..

Until somebody can show me an ATF letter stating that the puck is the countable part I'm not banking on it. Yes, theoretically it should be, but no one has ever asked for a official determination from them. They could just as easily be counting the carrier extension as the piston as in a normal AK, since they are not counting it as an op rod.

Well until the BATFE makes a determination on which one they count, non of us can be sure. And yes, they have been asked but no definative answer given. So life goes on. When is the last time the BATFE enforced 922R? With only 4 parts to replace to be "compliant", the puck/tappet should be of little concern.

My modestly converted S-12 has 7 counted U.S. parts not including the puck and pistol grip.

I think what should be determined is what these damn things are....pucks....pistons......or tappets??

[/hijack]

Well until the BATFE makes a determination on which one they count, non of us can be sure. And yes, they have been asked but no definative answer given. So life goes on. When is the last time the BATFE enforced 922R? With only 4 parts to replace to be "compliant", the puck/tappet should be of little concern.

My modestly converted S-12 has 7 counted U.S. parts not including the puck and pistol grip.

I think what should be determined is what these damn things are....pucks....pistons......or tappets??

[/hijack]

I hate to speak for sinners (AKA BATFE), but they mainly enforce 922R as a pile on charge in conjuction with actually crimes. For example; if you rob a bank, you will get charged for the bank robbery and anything else that they can tag you with to include 922R. A 922R violation charge alone is not practicle to enforce, but comply to be on the safe side.

• Like 2
I hate to speak for sinners (AKA BATFE), but they mainly enforce 922R as a pile on charge in conjuction with actually crimes. For example; if you rob a bank, you will get charged for the bank robbery and anything else that they can tag you with to include 922R. A 922R violation charge alone is not practicle to enforce, but comply to be on the safe side.

if you rob a bank, you're already in deep crap... the compliance would be the last thing on your mind.

as that is a decent example none the less... it's a point of mine to make, that if they have a reason to watch you, then and only then would you probably have to worry about the compliance. being on the safe side is obviously recommended either way

I voted for the KA puck because it allowed my brother to shoot his reloaded ammo. He did had the GUNFIXER plug prior to buying the KA puck, but was not able to cycle his reloads. When he used the KA Puck with the GUNFIXER plug he was able to cycle everything except Winchester Universal. The reduced recoil spring took care of that problem.

Once the Go Gun twister puck has been out for a while, it will be interesting how it performs.

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 1
I vote the OEM Puck, because I have never seen an advantage of any of these over it, except if you need them for 922R compliance.

However, I would love for any real advantage to be demonstrated!

Exactly.

I agree, they will not enforce 922r unless your are a dealer selling non compliant weapons, or come on contact with the ATF or law enforcement for other reasons.

In either case, they will most likely not count the puck if it's in their favor, since they are after you.

So why risk your freedom on a part that is in a gray area when there are other parts which we know definably count towards 922r compliance.

IMHO, keep the stock puck and use parts where there are no gray areas to make your gun 922r compliant.

[/hijack]

I agree, they will not enforce 922r unless your are a dealer selling non compliant weapons, or come on contact with the ATF or law enforcement for other reasons.

In either case, they will most likely not count the puck if it's in their favor, since they are after you.

So why risk your freedom on a part that is in a gray area when there are other parts which we know definably count towards 922r compliance.

IMHO, keep the stock puck and use parts where there are no gray areas to make your gun 922r compliant.

My thoughts exactly

I've only used the stock and Chaos pucks so far, but I'm thinking of trying the twister type too. My gun cycles all but the Win bulk stuff though, so the twister might be overkill.

+1 on the 922 compliance. I suppose it couldn't hurt to have a compliant puck, but NOT to count on, if you're barely compliant, or using mags as compliace. Better to have more U.S. parts than you need IMO.

Corbin

I have Chaos, OEM, and KA. OEM puck seems to grab carbon more than KA and Chaos. I like Chaos' puck best. It seems to glide better, is an OEM replacement for 922, and I don't have to worry about which end is which.

I am rocking the Russian made one. It works without issue for me. No point spending money on another puck.

The problem is that the BATFE has not definitively stated that the puck or the connecting rod thing with the smaller piston-looking head is actually the piston. No point in trying to rely upon that part to bring you into 922r compliance because, if they are checking you for 922r compliance, they are going to judge against you whenever they can. I would rather not take that chance.

Why not replace both the puck/tappet *and* the operating rod? Mark both with "USA" and your ass is covered. That what I would have done, but I met 922r via other parts and the factory puck works fine.

Why not replace both the puck/tappet *and* the operating rod? Mark both with "USA" and your ass is covered. That what I would have done, but I met 922r via other parts and the factory puck works fine.

Ya know, something always puzzled me. If you make a part in the U.S., but you make it out of foreign metal stock, is it 922r compliant? At what point does it become 922r compliant? Can you import a part from Wherethefukistan that just happens to have the same dimensions as the puck, make some lightening cuts in it and stamp it with "Made in the USA"?

Why stop there... you can get a russian made AK gas piston, cut it to the right length and diameter for use as the operating rod on the Saiga-12 and stamp it with "Made in the USA".

What constitutes being "made"?

And another point. According to our fucktarded laws, an illegal immigrant operating within the confines of the U.S. can make a 922r complaint part, but an American citizen operating abroad cannot, since he is outside of the states when the part is made. WTF?

Or maybe I do not fully understand the law.

Ya know, something always puzzled me. If you make a part in the U.S., but you make it out of foreign metal stock, is it 922r compliant? At what point does it become 922r compliant? Can you import a part from Wherethefukistan that just happens to have the same dimensions as the puck, make some lightening cuts in it and stamp it with "Made in the USA"?

Why stop there... you can get a russian made AK gas piston, cut it to the right length and diameter for use as the operating rod on the Saiga-12 and stamp it with "Made in the USA".

What constitutes being "made"?

And another point. According to our fucktarded laws, an illegal immigrant operating within the confines of the U.S. can make a 922r complaint part, but an American citizen operating abroad cannot, since he is outside of the states when the part is made. WTF?

Or maybe I do not fully understand the law.

Does not matter. This law is unconstitutional and therefore illegal to enforce. However, we must comply because "might makes right."

• Like 1

Another issue that I have with the pucks...

Some vendors are selling pucks that are smaller or have a recessed face so as to increase the volume of the gas chamber. An example is the KA puck and this is one of the manufacturer's selling points.

Now think about this for just a moment. Increasing the volume of the gas chamber actually works against you. Theoretically speaking, if you had a 10 foot gas tube with the puck at the end, MOST of the gas being vented into the tube would go to work compressing the pre-existing gas (air) in the tube. The amount of work being done on the puck would be greatly minimized.

If anything, I would suspect that making a puck which produced ZERO airspace in front of it would be the preferred direction here. Am I wrong?

• Like 1
Now think about this for just a moment. Increasing the volume of the gas chamber actually works against you. Theoretically speaking, if you had a 10 foot gas tube with the puck at the end, MOST of the gas being vented into the tube would go to work compressing the pre-existing gas (air) in the tube. The amount of work being done on the puck would be greatly minimized.

If anything, I would suspect that making a puck which produced ZERO airspace in front of it would be the preferred direction here. Am I wrong?

I think you're right. The recess on those pucks is so small that it doesn't seem make a difference, though. The position and size of the gas ports makes a much bigger difference. A truly zero airspace puck might be more sensitive to fouling. The solution to that could be adding more vents to the rear of the puck chamber. Stock Saigas already have that one vent which is only uncovered briefly when the puck has traveled full aft. Add a couple more to help the carbon get blown out.

Now I don't mean to put down the recessed pucks like the KA version. They work. The recess looks cool and provides somewhere for fouling to go that doesn't jam the gun. Good enough.