Best Saiga gas puck

Looks like he hasnt used any other tappet. I think members are looking for more of a comparison...as I am also.

Yes, but his review did indicate that the twister puck did keep the tube cleaner and some og the fouling was contained in the flutes. After the flutes fill up it should function a like all of the other pucks out there. I wonder which twister puck he was using. That said, a direct comparison with limited variables is really the only way to accurately compare designs. I also agree that using the same gun would be best and that the gun needs to start in the same clean cold condition.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You really need to own all pucks to answer this question accuratly.

I hate to speak for sinners (AKA BATFE), but they mainly enforce 922R as a pile on charge in conjuction with actually crimes. For example; if you rob a bank, you will get charged for the bank robbery

I voted for the KA puck because it allowed my brother to shoot his reloaded ammo. He did had the GUNFIXER plug prior to buying the KA puck, but was not able to cycle his reloads. When he used the KA P

I deem it a piston because it was designed to operate in a cylinder and react to a fluid load.

The rod on bolt carrier recieves its energy from the piston [a solid mass]. The rod is clearly not designed to operate as piston due to the excessive clearance between the walls of the gas tube.

Thats what I would tell the ATF.

Tony has an ATF letter stating that on the Saiga shotgun the "gas piston" is the puck, not the carrier extension.

Is this something new? The reason I ask is because the question has been asked many times, but until now, nobody has been able produce an definitive ATF ruling on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just added a russian barrel mounted front sight, thanks to the E store. :super:

And From what I understand about 922r I just lost a compliance part, and that means I cannot run the russian mags until I add another US made part. :(

Not that it really matters, I have one russian mag, and the rest of the pile are all US made.

I put about 900 rounds of the federal wally world stuff through my shotgun with no cleaning, and I just opened the gas system up and it was pretty gummed up, but I think I could of kept going.

I had to take a screw driver and scrape out the gunk in order to remove the puck.

My S12 was one of the over gassed ones, I have gunfixers plug and it runs low brass perfect on the 1+ setting, and slugs/heavy loads on the -1 setting.

I don't need anything the add more gas to my system, I have no problems as it is, but the Etac twister puck looks interesting.

I have thought about buying the whole set to play around with, but that will be after I replace my stock with a nice side folder, but I need $160 before I can do that. :ded:

Just got back from the range today with the E-Tac Twister Puck (standard). Cant say if it helped cycle the ammo at all, my 3-port with AGPs has always been pretty much flawless. It definitely did help keep the tube cleaner than usual and the puck just slid out without having to soak it for extended amounts of time. Overall I'd say it did its job just as advertised. Not bad for $25 IMO

I vote the OEM Puck, because I have never seen an advantage of any of these over it, except if you need them for 922R compliance.

However, I would love for any real advantage to be demonstrated!

Looks like we agree on this one, warthog. I find that as long as the gas system is right, the OEM puck is perfect. I'm beginning to think that the gas system in general needs to be better understood.

Sorry I won't be able to join you and the other Saiga freaks at the Waffle House for some eggs and grits.

Cheers!

WS

I vote the OEM Puck, because I have never seen an advantage of any of these over it, except if you need them for 922R compliance.

Looks like we agree on this one, warthog. I find that as long as the gas system is right, the OEM puck is perfect. I'm beginning to think that the gas system in general needs to be better understood.

Sorry I won't be able to join you and the other Saiga freaks at the Waffle House for some eggs and grits.

Cheers!

WS

Which waffle house?

• Like 1

I just added a russian barrel mounted front sight, thanks to the E store and From what I understand about 922r I just lost a compliance part...

The front sight IS NOT a counted part for 922r. Dinzag's list, with existing S12 parts in bold:

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks, trunnion (rifles only)

(5) Muzzle attachments (shotguns w/ threaded barrels only)

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstock

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

• Like 1

Agreed!

Cheers!

WS

Me too, are you local to Georgia? I sent a PM to everyone that identified their location as GA, Georgia, or Atlanta. If I missed someone I am sorry! All are welcome that what to make the drive. I am hoping to get a shoot sit up out of this!

Agreed!

Cheers!

WS

Me too, are you local to Georgia? I sent a PM to everyone that identified their location as GA, Georgia, or Atlanta. If I missed someone I am sorry! All are welcome that what to make the drive. I am hoping to get a shoot sit up out of this!

Actually, I'm way over here in the Land of Enchantment (New Mexico), but Saiga nuts are few and far between out here, and it sounds like it would be a "blast". One of these days, I might just show up anyway.

In the meantime, I'm doing the best I can to convert some of the uninitiated out here.

Have fun!

WS

I only have experience with the twister and the oem pucks. My experience is the same as others have posted, gas tube is much cleaner and the cuts on the twister puck really pack in the crud. So far I've only had to dig out the residue on the puck a couple times but have not felt that I needed to clean the gas tube since using the twister. Probably have 500 rounds on the new puck. I haven't noticed any difference in cycling, but I do use the Gun Fixer plug.

• 3 weeks later...

I just added a russian barrel mounted front sight, thanks to the E store and From what I understand about 922r I just lost a compliance part...

The front sight IS NOT a counted part for 922r. Dinzag's list, with existing S12 parts in bold:

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks, trunnion (rifles only)

(5) Muzzle attachments (shotguns w/ threaded barrels only)

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstock

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

Cool, thanks!

Could you fire magnum loads with a standard twister puck?
+1

I'd also like to know if there would be issues running 2 3/4 shells with a magnum puck.

Taken from their website:

The Standard TwisterPuc is for all loads.

The Magnum TwisterPuc is for full powered and Magnum loads.

The Medium TwisterPuc is for all loads, but with a full flow exhaust design like the Magnum.

Edited by sapper1371usmc

My link

Just order all three of the twisterpucks and be done with it. Right now you can get the set for $50 with free shipping. I ordered mine a day or two ago, and it was shipped the same day. Ill report back once I receive them and put them through their paces. Will probably start with the standard and work my way up to the medium. I dont really have a use for the magnum, as I will be switching between low and high brass often.

Edited by sapper1371usmc

I've had a set of Twisterpucs for a few weeks. They seem to work pretty well.. definitely keeping the gas block cleaner and more servicable than the OEM part does. The "standard" has blind vents built in, and for ~100 or so rounds these absorb most of the fouling that makes it that far into the gas system. The "medium" and "magnum" Twisterpucs have vents that run the length of the part, and allow a lot of fouling to blow back into the receiver, (plenty of room back there). These require medium-high brass to work as designed, and under these conditions they work very well.

This set of parts is a great value for $50 delivered, no question about it.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I've had a set of Twisterpucs for a few weeks. They seem to work pretty well.. definitely keeping the gas block cleaner and more servicable than the OEM part does. The "standard" has blind vents built in, and for ~100 or so rounds these absorb most of the fouling that makes it that far into the gas system. The "medium" and "magnum" Twisterpucs have vents that run the length of the part, and allow a lot of fouling to blow back into the receiver, (plenty of room back there). These require medium-high brass to work as designed, and under these conditions they work very well.

This set of parts is a great value for $50 delivered, no question about it.

I would refer you to the CSS link: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-ALL-SAIGA-PARTS/Categories

I don't know if $50.00 is a good price while Gregg still has them in stock for less.

When the heck did they come out with a medium piston? The only ones on the site I had seen before are the standard and magnum. The medium looks like a magnum that has cuts that are about half as deep. I'll likely pickup a set, I just want to know if the gun will be able to cycle properly if the magnum piston is left in and standard 2-3/4 loads are used with a gasfixer plug.

Crusader, it looks like Carolina shooters supply only has the standard and magnum pucks, no medium, at the moment. There Standard and Magnum package is $39.95. I'd say the Standard, Medium, and Magnum package for $50 shipped is a darn good deal.

Edited by Juice

When the heck did they come out with a medium piston? The only ones on the site I had seen before are the standard and magnum. The medium looks like a magnum that has cuts that are about half as deep. I'll likely pickup a set, I just want to know if the gun will be able to cycle properly if the magnum piston is left in and standard 2-3/4 loads are used with a gasfixer plug.

Crusader, it looks like Carolina shooters supply only has the standard and magnum pucks, no medium, at the moment. There Standard and Magnum package is $39.95. I'd say the Standard, Medium, and Magnum package for $50 shipped is a darn good deal.

The price just went up to $65.00. CSS still has the better deal.

Edited by Crusader

Ahh WTF! I was gonna order those today.. I guess not, now. That's what I get for pointing people to the better deal, and waiting for an answer to my question before buying.... Had that page said that deal was ending yesterday I'd have bought them....

Edited by Juice

Ahh WTF! I was gonna order those today.. I guess not, now. That's what I get for pointing people to the better deal, and waiting for an answer to my question before buying.... Had that page said that deal was ending yesterday I'd have bought them....

I spoke with Craig @ E-Tac and he hooked me up with the $50 shipped pricing for the set because they take care of forum members! Thanks Craig!

Definitely will do business with E-Tac again!

Crusader, I bet if you call them today they will probably hook you up too!

This thread is starting to get long in the tooth but since it started we have been getting a lot more feedback on real use of the E-TAC TwisterPuc in the field.

So far the reports are very favorable especially in the reliability area due to fouling resistance. We cant speak to which one actually works better but so far our users have been pleased. In our own test firing we have come up with zero problems due to our GoGun TwisterPuc.

Thanks to all the early adopters who have tried a new idea from E-TAC!