Best Trigger

I'm researching triggers for my conversion and came across the Texas AK trigger.

How does this trigger compare to the Tapco?

Is there any advantage to the Texas AK double hook?

Is the Texas AK forged or cast?

Is there a difference in the trigger face?

What modifications does the Texas AK require for the Saiga 12 conversion?

Thanks.

Not really much difference in the two if you ask me. They are both cast, both take about the same mods to work in the S-12, and both will work great if tuned properly. The Texas trigger does come with a quality disco spring and retaining wire though. The G-2 does not have either. I've got G-2s in almost all my Saigas and they are a forum sponsor so I will most likely use them again in my next conversion.

The required mods to the hammer are shortening the axis on the RH side for the BHO, and carefully grinding away the hump on the lower front part that hits the cross member. I also recontour the top of the face slightly before polishing, to eliminate any friction with the bolt carrier. No mods necessary to the trigger itself but I always polish all the contact surfaces on the ones I do, as well as the disconnect.

I have used both now. I prefer the Tapco for the money and the I like the little sleeve that make assembly a little easier. Plus, they are a sponsor!

I am not saying that the Texas AK is a bad FCG, I am saying that it fails to trump the established product and sells for more money.

• Like 1

It's sad when a question can't be honestly answered due to money being involved.

One (or more) of our vendors sell Texas AK Triggers, so thanks for thinking of them, guys.

I can answer that the Texas AK Trigger is a duplicate of the trigger set that Global Trades used to sell (made from the same blueprints).

It is made of investment cast steel.

These were designed by Ivan Kolev (head of the Bulgarian factory 10) to improve upon the original AK trigger set.

Some of these revisions include a trigger face with ridges in it (for a better contact area), enhanced interface angles on the hammer and trigger (for a smoother release), and the whole setup is designed so it doesn't slap.

The Texas AK Triggers ship with a brand new bulgarian style pivot pin retainer wire and a brand new made-to-military-specification disconnecter spring.

I personally think they are an excellent buy.

I have used both now. I prefer the Tapco for the money and the I like the little sleeve that make assembly a little easier. Plus, they are a sponsor!

I am not saying that the Texas AK is a bad FCG, I am saying that it fails to trump the established product and sells for more money.

It sells for a little bit more money, because it's a much better trigger set.

Now that I've established that we're not stepping on anyone's financial toes, I'm sure you'll hear more input from others on them.

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 1

Honestly....I'm getting damned tired of all these "which is best?" threads that keep popping up every day. Whether it's mags, FCGs, gas pucks, stocks, HGs, PGs, TGs, rails, sights, magwells, dare I even mention drums... :rolleyes: ..., hell even gun builders. Everyone wants an easy answer and doesn't want to spend the time I did learning all this stuff by reading the archives. No offense to the new guys, I help them all I can, just like I tried to here. Trouble is, all you are gonna get by asking these questions is people's opinions. You know what they say about opinions..

Truth is, no product is necessarily the "best" one available all the time. They all have their plusses and minuses.

Sorry to play the sponsor card there nalioth. I could have just left that out of there I guess. I have tried both triggers and I've made many of each "Saiga-12 Friendly". It is my opinion that the G-2 is every bit as good as the Texas Trigger from my experience....but that's just me. I do like the finger grooves on the TAKT. I forgot to mention that before. And I tried to convey that the disco spring and retainer spring made up for the slight extra cost. My main thing was just answering the part of the question what had to be done to use either one in the 12.

• Like 1

All of my builds so far I have utilized Tapco G2 Double Hook Triggers. A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to look at a Texas AK FCG and looks to be a very well made product. I like the feel of the ridges on the trigger face. Compared to the Tapco sets I have the TAKT FCG seems to have a little more attention to detail on the finishing. So I thought I would give them a try. Besides I'm from Texas and I like the logo.

sKott

• Like 1

Thanks for ALL the opinions. That is the reason I post a question, I'm after other peoples opinions, other people that have more experience than I and have been there, done that.

Thanks to the reply's I feel I can now make a better purchasing decision. I will go with the Texas AK trigger, the better springs and trigger face are the deal maker.

After all this is a Shotgun trigger not a Match rifle trigger, I'm sure I would be happy with either choice.

]It sells for a little bit more money, because it's a much better trigger set.

Now that I've established that we're not stepping on anyone's financial toes, I'm sure you'll hear more input from others on them.

Really Nalioth? I mean really?

Because I could see, nor feel any difference at all!

But the difference in price, that was easily quantifiable.

• Like 1

I've used Tapco and Century FCGs. With the Century FCGs you need to grind off the disconnector tail to avoid trigger slap which really hurts. The Tapco FCG works well but I've had problems with the trigger sticking in the fired position after firing but this problem is becoming less common as I shoot the Saiga. (Good thing it's a semi auto FCG.)

Any FCG you use will have to be adapted to the S-12 by grinding the hammer as Cobra 76 two states to fit with the bolt hold open and to clear the small box in front of the FCG (I don't know what its function is) to allow the hammer to strike the firing pin.

If the Texas FCG is as simple and reliable as a Tapco, then I'm sure it's a good choice. However, if you want the very best AK trigger and don't mind a little extra complexity, get a Red Star.

Tapco and Red Star make double hook triggers, too. Let's stick to comparing these triggers based on actual differences.

Nalioth summed it up pretty well:

I can answer that the Texas AK Trigger is a duplicate of the trigger set that Global Trades used to sell (made from the same blueprints).

It is made of investment cast steel.

These were designed by Ivan Kolev (head of the Bulgarian factory 10) to improve upon the original AK trigger set.

Some of these revisions include a trigger face with ridges in it (for a better contact area), enhanced interface angles on the hammer and trigger (for a smoother release), and the whole setup is designed so it doesn't slap.

The Texas AK Triggers ship with a brand new bulgarian style pivot pin retainer wire and a brand new made-to-military-specification disconnecter spring.

I wish they'd offer the Texas trigger without a shepherd's crook. Let people use what they want for pin retention, and quit jacking up the price by only offering a "deluxe" package.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Quick cost comparison,

Texas deluxe fire control group $38

Shipping $9

Total $47

At CSS

Tapco G2 $29.69

Disconnecter sprig $1.49

SHEPERDS CROOK $3.00

shipping $7.00

Total $41.18

So if you are going to buy a disconnector spring instead of digging out your factory spring and you want to use a shepherds crook the Texas trigger is still $5.82 more,

Edited by RavenTai

Quick cost comparison,

Texas deluxe fire control group $38

Shipping $9

Total $47

At CSS

Tapco G2 $29.69

Disconnecter sprig $1.49

SHEPERDS CROOK $3.00

shipping $7.00

Total $41.18

So if you are going to buy a disconnector spring instead of digging out your factory spring and you want to use a shepherds crook the Texas trigger is still $5.82 more,

I have a few Saiga's with both Tapco and Texas AK. Even at $6 more, the Texas AK trigger is still a better deal.

• Like 1