tapco plate(retainer)

Has anybody here used the tapco retainer plate on their saiga 12? This plate is $5.99 on the tapco site. I just did a conversion and I am wondering if the plate is better than the bobby pin spring.

That is a new version they started selling. It will need to be modified to work on the Saiga 12.

I've seen retainer plates for Saiga shotguns that is also shown alongside ones for a rifle for comparison.

Apparently, it is specifically made for shotguns.

My question is, does it work on S-12s that still have the sight bracket on the left side of the receiver? It's my understanding that the rivets for the sight bracket get in the way of the plate. Are those shotgun retainer plates cut away to clear the rivets, or not?

They are made of soft steel and easily bend. They can be used for the tantal and akm rifles. Some modifiction will be needed to use with the saiga's. I prefer the Red Star Arms ones. They are heat treated hard steel for better wear resistance.

+1

I just got one tonight and They are made of soft steel and easily bend and I to prefer the Red Star Arms ones over the TAPCO one.

I just stumbled through the process of getting a Red Star plate to fit in my Saiga 12 last night. After screwing with it for a while, I finally figured out what to do to make it fit. I had to egg the hole for the safety pin to go through to the receiver, and I had to remove about 1/16" off the top of the plate (the safety pin area) so the bolt would pass over it. I just trimmed it to a flat shape instead of the original rounded top. It takes a little finesse to slip the plate on the trigger pin since the 12's rails are lower than a standard AK, but it can be done without much effort.