Total newbie questions

Total Saiga newbie here.

After getting into shooting in general, I'm now looking to get a semi-auto shotgun, and a lot of my research points to Tromix-mod Saiga 12s as some of the best. So once the waiting list opens up again, I plan on jumping on-board. Couple of questions if I may:

1) I read somewhere here that Tromix was looking to get something that allowed the use of slip-on chokes (Rem/Win, or something to be decided). Did that ever happen? If someone orders a new Tromix, can they use a different choke for different purposes?

2) Is a S17 count as a SBS (ie, needs a Class 3 permit)? I don't live in one of the "forbidden" states, but I don't have a Class 3 either.

3) Can this gun take a drum magazine or would that take additional modification?

4) How much maintenance/cleaning do these guns take to stay in good shape? Generally, I clean my guns after every shoot (range, match, etc), but I've never owned a gun that needed a lot of intricate stripping, and my mechanical skills are limited.

Right now I'm looking at the S6 because I do want some kind of iron-sight like the HK (so the S19 is out) and I'm not sure I want a permanently attached brake, especially if chokes are available. I'm not sure if I'm legal for the S17, and my understanding is that for some really short-barrel guns have trouble cycling some ammo types.

1. At one time, we offered to install screw-in Rem chokes, but it was not a very popular modification so we discontinued the service. It took a lot of time and was not real profitable as well.

2. The S17 is an SBS and is registered as such.

3. The 8" S17 can take a drum mag. Reliability with it could be an issue though since the bolt velocity is not as consistant as with a longer setup. I have not tested it a bunch, so I'm really not sure how well it will work with the drum. I have tested a 12" S-17 with the MD Drum and it has run perfectly.....but not many guys buy the 12 incher. I have 3ea S-17 8" guns going to MD Arms shortly however. I am pretty confident that Mike will air it out like a wild man, and give us all a pile of feedback. I am looking forward to that.

4. There is really no more maintenance with the S17 over the longer models, but the S17 certainly takes more of a beating, especially with magnum rounds. If you want your gun to run 10,000 rounds without a rebuild, I would not buy it. It's a specialized gun that is not for everyone. It's kind of like buying a Kel-tec .380, then using it for IPSC competition every weekend. Or running 25 pounds of boost in your small block chevy and hitting it with a 350 shot of nitrous.

Just look at the gun, man....it's a fucking crazy out-of-control setup like that.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Thanks for the reply. Right now, based on what I'm seeing and hearing, I'm leaning for the S6. Given that it's a longer barrel setup, I'm guessing that it should be more consistent and takes less of a beating as you say. I'm hoping that the S6 can take a drum magazine, but it's not crucial that it can. The screw-in choke would have been nice, but again not crucial. So now I just have to sit and wait for the list to open back up and place my order.

I've fired 3 Md Arms drums through my S-17 8 inch and can literally count on one hand the fte I've had. Usually cheap Wal-Mart shit, but 00 buck and slug cycle great. Dude I would wait till the list opens up so Tromix can do a conversion for you. You won't be disappointed, I sure as shit am not. As soon as they open up I'm going for another S-17.

:super: :super: :super:

Thanks for the reply. Right now, based on what I'm seeing and hearing, I'm leaning for the S6. Given that it's a longer barrel setup, I'm guessing that it should be more consistent and takes less of a beating as you say. I'm hoping that the S6 can take a drum magazine, but it's not crucial that it can. The screw-in choke would have been nice, but again not crucial. So now I just have to sit and wait for the list to open back up and place my order.

The TROMIX S06 will definitely run with a MD 20 drum.......... I have both a TROMIX shorty and an S06, and they run the drum quite well !!! No worries.....................

post-3950-1249845466_thumb.jpg

I've also run plenty of rounds through the S17 with an MD 20 with no problems at all. Very nice little set up, especially with a vertical grip on the front.

TromixS17withHellion_6.jpg

Stsai465, if you choose to go with the S17 and need help with the tax stamp process feel free to send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help.

Zach

KROSS FA

Thanks for the replies all. I'm leaning heavily to the S6 because of the included HK sights and Galil charging handle/handguard, and also to avoid needing to go through the hassle of the Class 3 tax permit. Last question (until I put the order in once the list opens up):

4. There is really no more maintenance with the S17 over the longer models, but the S17 certainly takes more of a beating, especially with magnum rounds. If you want your gun to run 10,000 rounds without a rebuild, I would not buy it. It's a specialized gun that is not for everyone. It's kind of like buying a Kel-tec .380, then using it for IPSC competition every weekend. Or running 25 pounds of boost in your small block chevy and hitting it with a 350 shot of nitrous.

Do the other models (S6, S2, S19) take less of a beating, so are able to run >10,000 rounds without a rebuild (assuming proper maintenance and care and kept in clean dry conditions, etc)? The primary purpose for this gun would be for match shooting (roughly once a month, figure a couple hundred rounds), and maybe some target shooting, so 90% of the shooting would be lead birdshot, with an occasional string of slugs. I don't plan on ever using magnum rounds (not a hunter and no purpose for match shooting), and the only time I'd ever use buckshot, other than pattern testing, would be a HD/SHTF scenario.