I do not think its his fighting style.He drops his hands when he has figured out there timing.Then he precedes to dominate them.I just wish Dana White would get off his high horse and allow Fedor to compete in Sambo so he can come in and beat Brock.Then maybe we will get to see Fedor vs. Silva at 205 and finally decide who the best is.

human or some weird experiment that killed his makers and now lives as the best fighter in the world???

My own theory is he is a cyborg from the future. Seriously though, I knew he was going to win but I thought Griffin would at least be able to make it to the second round. At this point I think the only one who has any sort of chance against Silva is Machida.

I do not think its his fighting style.He drops his hands when he has figured out there timing.Then he precedes to dominate them.I just wish Dana White would get off his high horse and allow Fedor to compete in Sambo so he can come in and beat Brock.Then maybe we will get to see Fedor vs. Silva at 205 and finally decide who the best is.

White claimed that he had agreed that Fedor could keep competing in Sambo even if he signed with the UFC. According to White what killed the deal was that Fedor wanted M-1 to have co-promotion with the UFC. If that's that case I can understand why White didn't do the deal. Fedor would bring a lot to the UFC, but still not near enough for a UFC/M-1 co-promotion to make any sense.

He must be from the future to pick someone apart like that. For Gods sake he didn't even bother to keep his hands up! He knocked down Forrest at will! Hands down backing up with a little jab, lol. I'm telling you the man can stop TIME.

problem is Silva vs. Machida will not happen.....they are buddies or some shit like that..............

Yeah I heard that too, but if Silva keeps putting light-heavies away like he has been, I think for him the temptation to try and win the light-heavyweight belt and be the first UFC fighter of the current era to be champion in two different weight classes at the same time will be more than he can resist, friendship or not. Also, at this point to be the guy who finally stops Silva would be an accomplishment just as great as, if not even greater than, winning another championship, so there would be plenty of temptation for Machida as well. Still even if it were to happen it's probably not something that would happen anytime soon, and another rumour I heard was that White is floating the idea of a catchweight fight between Silva and GSP, which sounds like something more plausible and which could be set up sooner.

Edited by Frogfoot

GSP walks around about 185....Silva prolly 200....so a 180 would sound good.....this is how I see that fight going down....GSP takes Silva down...Silva puts him in a body triangle(legs around midsection).....GSP tries to land anything...Silva submits him.....1st round

...GSP takes Silva down...Silva puts him in a body triangle(legs around midsection)...

"Body triangle"? :huh: The technique/terminology I'm familiar with would describe that as GSP being in Silva's guard.

To the topic, it seems to me that Silva would tear up any/all fighters even close to his weight class. The man's amazing.

Guard is on your back with your opponent inbetween or within range of your legs. Closed guard, your legs are closed around the opponent. Half guard you have just one leg trapped. Open guard is more complicated since there are many different variations spider, monkey, De La Riva, etc. A body Triangle is basically back mount with your foot in the crook/inner joint of your opposite knee, wrapped around and under their ribcage/diaphram. You tighten your clinch each time they take a breath. Makes it really hard to breath. I have made people tap from just this control position many times.

Guard is on your back with your opponent inbetween or within range of your legs. Closed guard, your legs are closed around the opponent. Half guard you have just one leg trapped. Open guard is more complicated since there are many different variations spider, monkey, De La Riva, etc. A body Triangle is basically back mount with your foot in the crook/inner joint of your opposite knee, wrapped around and under their ribcage/diaphram. You tighten your clinch each time they take a breath. Makes it really hard to breath. I have made people tap from just this control position many times.

Alright. I guess I don't have quite the range of terms/techniques that you've learned. The description made me think of closed guard, (which is very common/effective as a defensive technique).

If you have the opportunity/position to use a "body triangle", (as you describe it), on your opponent, wouldn't a rear naked choke be more effective/easier to employ?

edit: I can see how it would depend entirely on your opponent; some know how to defend against chokes better than others... still, a basic rear choke would be the preferrable technique to use, if you have the choice.

It'll be interesting to see who they pit against Silva next.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Most MMA fighters just have very sloppy striking. Consider than for a long time Liddell was considered a good MMA striker despite walking around with his hands at his waist. Anderson has dozens of Muay Thai fights. He actually knows how to kick box. His striking while fairly low level for kickboxing (Can you imagine what Spong or Corbett would do to him in a full rules thai fight at 185?) is light years ahead of most MMA guys. Guys like Forrest are loose as a goose with there defense and have rather poor head movement and footwork.

Anderson has another advantage to his striking game, his very solid guard game. Many good strikers are not able to let loose in MMA for fear of take downs. Anderson has enough of a guard game that he doesn't fear the TD. His take down defense was traditionally his weak point (although in the last year or two it has gotten much better) this was likely in part because he was looking to strike and not let TD defense curb his striking. Most guys with good Muay Thai skills don't have the ground game Anderson has and thus have to be more reserved in order to avoid the take down.

I would like to see Anderson fight Manhoef. Personally I think Manhoef would tear him apart standing. Anderson would have an advantage on the ground and in terms of Cardio (it is not that Manhoef has horrible cardio per se, it is largely that he fights at an insane pace that cannot really be sustained for 20 minutes +. If Anderson looked to bang with Manhoef it would be ungly. Manhoef has KOed guys that are much much better strikers than Silva. Manhoef would be a bad match up for Silva but luckily for him one he is unlikely to ever have to face.

I like Anderson but as someone that has followed MMA for a very long time I must note that 185 is a paper thin division. Anderson's win over Henderson is his only really impressive win at 185. The best fights for him at 185 never happened. I would loved to have seen him fight Butamante at that weight when Busta first went to Pride and was the king of that division, although Anderson was still fighting 170 at the time. Another fight that I wish would happened in Pride was a match with Filho, particularly given the chute boxe BTT rivalarly that existed at the time. Another fight I would have liked to see would have been a fight with Lindland. The fact is Anderson had made a name beating Mach at 170 but didn't really shine after going to pride. He had solid fights in Cage rage and then made the mover to the UFC and ran the thin division. It is by far the thinnest of all the divisions. Henderson was the only test the UFC has given him. 185 is so thin they have had him fight the two fights at heavier weights and are already talking about a rematch with Hendo. Henderson fought smart the first round but got careless and fell into trying to slug it out with Anderson and paid the price. If Hendo fought five smart rounds I still think he could take a decision. If Hendo tries to bang with Anderson he will more than likely come out on the wrong end. Irving and Forrest at 205 were gimmie fights. Both guys look to strike but are un-technical inferior strikers.

Anderson is very good and has a solid skill set. However he would be tested much more at 205 and not forcedly because of the weight. A fight with GSP is interesting but GSP really is too small right now. Can he keep his speed and cardio at a heavier weight? St Pierre fights smart and typically has good game plans. He is not dumb enough to bang it out with Anderson and Phil Nurse will have him ready to deal with it defensively I would think. Look at the fight with Thiago (who is very good at Muay Thai btw) GSP has insane TDs. I have been wowed with how easily he took down both Kos and Thiago. He could take down Silva. Silva has a good gueard game but GSP has come along way since he got caught by Hughes. In fact I have been following his carrier since he and Spratt fought and ever one was sure the secrete weapon was going to kill the prissy frenchie. That is funny looking back on it. GSP would get him down it would be a matter of weather Silva could sub him from the guard. I'm not so sure he could to be honest. I'm not sure St Pierre really wants to leave 170 right now but he has pretty well cleaned out that division as well.

If Anderson fights Roy Jones in a boxing match two things will happen. A) Anderson will make way more money than he could in the UFC. Anderson would make millions if not tens of millions something he does not do so in the UFC. B) He would get tooled so bad it wouldn't even be funny. For what it is worth Anderson would destroy Roy in the cage. The boxing match would be akin to Jordan playing baseball. He could do it, but only at a low level.

To the topic, it seems to me that Silva would tear up any/all fighters even close to his weight class. The man's amazing.

hmm tell that to Chonan and Takase they both submitted Silva. Ryo was making a very good account of himself on his feet as well. There are other guys like Mahoef who would be stylistically very tough for Anderson but likely couldn't work their way into contention and or don't fight in the UFC.

Edited by Zambidis
Fedor to compete in Sambo so he can come in and beat Brock.Then maybe we will get to see Fedor vs. Silva at 205 and finally decide who the best is.

I don't see Fedor fighting 205 for few reasons. At even weight Fedor destroys Silva. Fedor has not only been much more consistent throughout his career, he has fought vastly superior competition on a whole to that of Anderson. He has fought better strikers and he has fought better submission guys than Anderson ever has. Cro Cop's striking is light years ahead of Anderson's, the kickboxing career of Mirko is like the majors and Andersons is AA ball. Fedor gets him down and then lets loose the most brutal GnP in MMA. A cage and elbows would only make it more devastating. The GSP fight for Anderson would be more interesting and more competitive. Fedor would have a much harder time with Lesnar than Anderson, particularly in the cage and with US judging.

I would like to see Fedor fight Brock after Brock has a few more wins (particularly a fight with Nog) and outside of the UFC, preferably in a ring. I am glad that Fedor went else where. Dane White is douche. He called a Fedor a joke, what is a joke is the UFC heavyweight title.

Forrest wasted too much time and energy taking hit shots at Silva. He also exposed his own head in the process. The best way to take Silva out is blows to the body or submission on the mat.

A lot of good points there Zambidis....I to believe that Fedor would smash Silva into the ground.....but I disagree when you say CroCop is a better striker than Silva.....if its K-1 rules yes...but im talking strictly MMA.....Silva is twice as fast.....and speed kills

but I disagree when you say CroCop is a better striker than Silva.....if its K-1 rules yes...but im talking strictly MMA.....Silva is twice as fast.....and speed kills

In K1 rules there is no debate. They are very different types of strikers. Mirko is not a Muay thai guy, Anderson is. Anderson is much better in the clinch but Mirko has better hands and has much much more power in his punches and kicks. I can think of a few people who had their orbital bones broken by single punches. One could argue Anderson might be the better MMA striker but if he is it is a result of his superior ground skills. When Mirko has come up short with his striking it has been a result of being thrown off his striking game by take downs. Anderson's confidence in his guard always him to avoid that (and it is a pit fall to so many MMA strikers). I would not call Anerson that much faster and his strength and power is certainly less. Mirko has probably slowed down as a result of his recent injuries but he has to have speed, power and technique to have fought the level of kickboxing that he has. A level that Anderson doesn't even approach. Seriously imagine Anderson fighting LeBanner, Bonjasky, Hug (RIP) etc. Much of Andersons speed is the result of him fighting guys who cannot strike. It is easy to put on a highlight reel when the competition is thin or when you are given the right matchups style wise (for example look at Liddell vs wrestlers who cannot strike). I actually really like Anderson. I route for most thai fighters. I just get very tired of the cycle of casual MMA fans. Some guy becomes popular, they ignore all fights before he gained his popularity and declare him invincible, then when he loses as all fighters who face top competition are bound to do, they jump on another bandwagon. They did this with Chuck, Faber, etc.

It is worth mentioning that Mirko has faced better competition in MMA as well as kickboxing than Anderson. In an MMA fight Anderson would not want to stand with Mirko. If he did he would be wise to follow the strategy of Kongo, make it a thai fight and clinch. That was the perfect strategy for Kongo and the one place he had an advantage.

but I disagree when you say CroCop is a better striker than Silva.....if its K-1 rules yes...but im talking strictly MMA.....Silva is twice as fast.....and speed kills

In K1 rules there is no debate. They are very different types of strikers. Mirko is not a Muay thai guy, Anderson is. Anderson is much better in the clinch but Mirko has better hands and has much much more power in his punches and kicks. I can think of a few people who had their orbital bones broken by single punches. One could argue Anderson might be the better MMA striker but if he is it is a result of his superior ground skills. When Mirko has come up short with his striking it has been a result of being thrown off his striking game by take downs. Anderson's confidence in his guard always him to avoid that (and it is a pit fall to so many MMA strikers). I would not call Anerson that much faster and his strength and power is certainly less. Mirko has probably slowed down as a result of his recent injuries but he has to have speed, power and technique to have fought the level of kickboxing that he has. A level that Anderson doesn't even approach. Anderson might have more speed the way smaller guys do but there is a reason that they have weight classes, and I say this as a smaller guy, speed is not everything. Also imagine how much speed Anderson would lose if he were to bulk up to be heavy enough to fight HWs. Seriously imagine Anderson fighting LeBanner, Bonjasky, Hug (RIP) etc. Much of Andersons speed is the result of him fighting guys who cannot strike. It is easy to put on a highlight reel when the competition is thin or when you are given the right matchups style wise (for example look at Liddell vs wrestlers who cannot strike). I actually really like Anderson. I route for most thai fighters. I just get very tired of the cycle of casual MMA fans. Some guy becomes popular, they ignore all fights before he gained his popularity and declare him invincible, then when he loses as all fighters who face top competition are bound to do, they jump on another bandwagon. They did this with Chuck, Faber, etc.

It is worth mentioning that Mirko has faced better competition in MMA as well as kickboxing than Anderson. In an MMA fight Anderson would not want to stand with Mirko. If he did he would be wise to follow the strategy of Kongo, make it a thai fight and clinch. That was the perfect strategy for Kongo and the one place he had an advantage.

At the end of the day styles make fights.

yeah....Bonjanksy would murder him....I also hate when I watch MMA with people who have no fucking clue of whats going on...I can not stand the bullshit rule in UFC of standing fighters up if there is no "action"....I wish MMA had strikers Ramon Dekkers or Mike Zambidis

I always took the "pound for pound" stuff with a grain of salt. It is unproveable and highly subjective. And the rules of the different fighting organizations may play to one fighters strength and take away from anothers arsenal. Still, these guys are great athletes. There is one guy named "Crazy Horse" Bennett who is as dumb as a box of rocks. From what I have heard he doesn't even train for a fight. Just gifted with great strength and fighting ability. He has beaten some of the very best in the sport. If this guy would have some discipline and train I think he has the tools to be something great.

And I like watching the girls fight. Before and after the fight they are very polite to each other. They sure don't seem to concerned trying to kick the shit out of each other in the ring. I could just see some poor guy trying to pick up Gina Caranno and making her mad. That girl can punch and kick! And yes, she's pretty...pretty mean. How embarrassing would it be for Gina to turn down your advances and then have the woman knock you out? :cryss:

In the old days there were fewer rules. No fishhooking, could not gouge eyes or break your opponets fingers. Those no rules matches must truly be brutal where all is allowed. I remember watching Royce Gracie in one of the first tournaments. He was amazing beating much bigger opponents. Back then they used to have elimination tournaments which the fighter had to fight several times the same night to win.

I wish MMA had strikers Ramon Dekkers or Mike Zambidis

Dekkers actually fought MMA. A few important things to know about the fight though. 1. It was at the very tail end of his career when Ramon was only a shell of the fighter that earned the nick name "The Turbine of Hell." In fact Ramon had such server injuries that he had to completely change the way he fought latter in his career. He nearly had to have his foot amputated as a result of chronic injuries to his leg/ankle/foot. 2. Ramon never wanted to fight MMA. He had a contract to fight in K1 (imagine a prime Dekkers in Max!) and they essentially wouldn't give him any fights until he agreed to fight MMA. He was contractually obligated to them yet they wouldn't let him fight. They more or less strong armed him into the fight. I don't know how seriously he even took it or if he made any effort to train MMA. He agreed to a fight with Genki Sudo. He probably just went out figuring he would hope to land standing and tap as soon as he was in any trouble on the ground. A young health Dekkers that focused an MMA would have been scary indeed.

Dekkers in MMA:

And for those that don't know who this guy is watch this. I don't want people to only see the above and have the wrong impression of Dekkers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLIAY0riBEQ...;feature=fvste3

For his part Mike has said he has no interest in fighting MMA. His striking style would be good for MMA but he would need to learn the rest of the game for sure. When elite strikers learn good take down defense and decent ground game they are very formidable in MMA because mma striking is so rudimentary for the most part. Look at what Ludwig has done as a mid level pro kick boxer. Look at Cro Cops accent to the top of the sport in only a matter of a couple years.

Here is a guy you have never heard of but he has to be one of the best strikers fighting MMA. His ground game is surprisingly good too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLgWbYMk4SI His mma fights are on youtube.

Since crazy horse was mentioned I'll post my favorite video of him.