Glocks and steel cased ammo

Do Glocks tend to digest steel cased ammo easily?

Once I get out of NY, I'll be picking up a G19 for a range toy and that is the first question that came to mind. I exclusively run steel cased ammo through my 9mm AR, so I always have it around.

Any potential problems with running steel cased ammo through a G19?

(The above is specifically for fun-gunning. I plan on also picking up a G27 for CCW, and using "good" ammo :victory: .)

I have put over 5000 rounds through an old police issue G-17 2nd-gen (Nightsights are awesome, they're on all cop-glocks, & I dont understand it, they glow FOREVER) a few hundred of those were steel cased & I have NEVER HAD 1 JAM/MISDEED. I try never to use steel cased due to wear on the firearm. However these days, before I not to long ago began "collecting" 9mm (I still pick up a little steel) if all you can find is steel.... well. But it is a wear issue. Nothing immediate. Good barrel, & they feed well the just beat the shit out of the firearm. The lord only knows how many rounds have gone through my glock & still on good days I get 8" groups @ 25m supported & generally 12-14" one handed unsupported, unless I am double tapping, then they spread a bit more, but usually both on silhouette. so apparently these things really can go forever. The only big glock problem I have heard about is the .40 cals :eek: Kabooming :eek: (happened to a Portland Or. cop, he's suing Glock. Google it...) because the .40 is a modified 9mm barrel & have less metal in the breech than Glocks that were designed specifically for their ammo. But even then it only blew a little shrapnel out the top, most of the energy is said to blow out the bottom. (It blows the mag out the bottom too.) & I don't think anyone has gotten anything blown off :unsure: . So seriously consider 9mm & air freedom ammo Or 45 cal glocks that is what portland cops have to choose from now. Or atleast google Glock exploding, or catostrophic failure, :unsure: do some research on if glock has fixed the .40s yet. I LOVE :wub: my 17 :wub: I have the Glock clip, so I can conceal even while wearing shorts & a light shirt.

Anyhow back to the point, steel feeds flawlessly in my 9mm g-17 so far. Good luck!! :up:

Can you not own a glock in new york? Is there a drop safety test there or something?

Glocks are perfectly legal in NY (also, pre-ban 10+ round mags for certain calibers seem somewhat readily available)..........but I just never got the motivation to go through the application/waiting process NY has, regarding hand guns :ded: .

Where-as in South Carolina, where I'll be soon, ya wanna know what is required to buy a handgun? An SC drivers license. That's it. They don't even have a minimum residency-time requirement. So as soon as I get my DL switched over, and it arrives in the mail, I can go straight to a gun store and buy any handgun I want. That's probably nothing for those who've lived in a "free" state for their gun-owning life.............but for an NY'er........that's like heaven.

Here's NY's process (as far as I know, I could be wrong on some accounts):

-Go to local Sherriff's office.

-Get pistol permit application and fill it out.

-Wait for it to be processed and for your "character references" to send back in their paperwork telling the Judge what a wonderful person you are.

-Wait some more.

-Look at handguns you can't buy yet.

-Wait some more.

-Forget you even have an application being processed.

-Hope and pray that it goes through within the 9 month (?) time "they" are allowed to take to green-light it, or deny it.

-Finally get your permit.

-Go pick out one of the guns you've been eyeballing for the last 9 months.

-Pay for it.

-Get it "added" to your permit (which, AFAIK, can take as long as the Judge decides to actually add it)

-Get a "receipt" for said gun.

-Go pick up your gun that you already paid for, that's been sitting at the shop for the last X days/weeks.

Some of that might be a bit off, I'm not sure. I thought I remember reading something about when you first get your permit, they give you one "receipt", as to avoid waiting for it. I don't know.

Here's SC's process, as far as I know:

-Get drivers license

-Go to gunstore and pick out a handgun.

-Buy it.

-Win!

Can you not own a glock in new york? Is there a drop safety test there or something?

Because the Glock-17 was the 1st polymer pistol it was torture tested up the ying-yang before being adopted by the Austrians for military use. Including 10' drop tests from all angles. It passed with flying colors. It just amazed the testers on every different level. there are reasons that the g-17 being so widely adopted by law enforcement & military. It really is the AK of handguns (except the g-17 is accurate).

Steel cased ammo is generally lacquered, wouldn't be surprised if you got some fouling from it, as many AR owners complain about from cheap Wolf/Tiger/BrownBear ammo.

I just shot a friend's Glock 23 and was really surprised; I fired a Glock 17 years ago and absolutely hated it. I picked up the 23 and got a decent group, don't know if I'd buy one, as my list is already pretty long of stuff to buy.

Steel cased ammo is generally lacquered, wouldn't be surprised if you got some fouling from it, as many AR owners complain about from cheap Wolf/Tiger/BrownBear ammo.

I just shot a friend's Glock 23 and was really surprised; I fired a Glock 17 years ago and absolutely hated it. I picked up the 23 and got a decent group, don't know if I'd buy one, as my list is already pretty long of stuff to buy.

What did you absolutely hate about it? I was choosing between the A9 Beretta & g-17. (For my concealed piece :lolol: ) The g-17 won hands down. The Beretta looked good, but damn was it heavy in comparison. The G-17 with it's light weight & the glock-clip so no holster is needed is what sold it for me. Also I had just been shooting my Polish P-64 (Polish made Walther PPK clone chambered in 9mm Mak) & that little thing would leave a bruise on my hand.(cool little pistol though once you lighten the 28LB!!! trigger pull & compensate with a heavier recoil spring.) & comparatively speaking the Glock was soooooo nice to shoot, caried 10 more rounds & although bigger, wasnt much heavier. Was it the 3rd gen with the damn finger indents that are to small for a lot of guys hands? (Mines 2nd-gen) Were you not able to get good groups? It took me a while to get used to the sights. What was it for you? Other than their ugly.

I have shot thousands of rounds of .40 wolf through my Glocks without a hick-up. At one of the first point shooting courses that came out, I burned through almost 1000 rounds of wolf .40 through my G23 in a weekend - without cleaning. Most glock owners are like AK owners; they don't have a favorite training ammo, just whatever is cheapest.

I have shot thousands of rounds of .40 wolf through my Glocks without a hick-up. At one of the first point shooting courses that came out, I burned through almost 1000 rounds of wolf .40 through my G23 in a weekend - without cleaning. Most glock owners are like AK owners; they don't have a favorite training ammo, just whatever is cheapest.

Thanks man, that's even more reassuring. 1K rounds of Wolf + no cleaning = no hiccups? That's what I'm talking about!

Because the Glock-17 was the 1st polymer pistol it was torture tested up the ying-yang before being adopted by the Austrians for military use. Including 10' drop tests from all angles. It passed with flying colors. It just amazed the testers on every different level. there are reasons that the g-17 being so widely adopted by law enforcement & military. It really is the AK of handguns (except the g-17 is accurate).

H&K beat Glock by 10 years, FYI.

First post here so hello to all and it's a pleasure. I'm a Saiga 12 owner and I swear by them. Anywho on to the topic at hand, as mentioned above the Glock is like the AK of the handgun world. My first handgun was a Glock 20 (10mm), I had shot many 1911s and Berettas as well as Glocks before I made the purchase. It is in my opinion the best gun I have ever owned for several reasons,

-they are incredibly accurate

-you CAN NOT break them

-they are idiot simple

-cleaning is a breeze

-no matter what caliber your shooting the feel is the same

-easiest saftey (and in my opinion safest (makes you keep your finger outside of trigger guard until ready to engage))

-price stays rock solid ( I bought my 1st gen glock for $450.00 new way back when and just sold it for $425.00 used)

-easy and cheap to customize

-I have never had (thank God) an FTF or FTE with any type of ammo including steel cased. I don't own any other gun (and I have quite the collection) that can boast this, all of them except for the Glock have had an FTF or FTE.

Hope this helps make the decision easier!

YARP

What did you absolutely hate about it? I was choosing between the A9 Beretta & g-17. (For my concealed piece :lolol: ) The g-17 won hands down. The Beretta looked good, but damn was it heavy in comparison. The G-17 with it's light weight & the glock-clip so no holster is needed is what sold it for me. Also I had just been shooting my Polish P-64 (Polish made Walther PPK clone chambered in 9mm Mak) & that little thing would leave a bruise on my hand.(cool little pistol though once you lighten the 28LB!!! trigger pull & compensate with a heavier recoil spring.) & comparatively speaking the Glock was soooooo nice to shoot, caried 10 more rounds & although bigger, wasnt much heavier. Was it the 3rd gen with the damn finger indents that are to small for a lot of guys hands? (Mines 2nd-gen) Were you not able to get good groups? It took me a while to get used to the sights. What was it for you? Other than their ugly.

It didn't fit my hand, it was uncomfortable for me to shoot, poor grouping, etc. Just didn't like it at all, shot a friend's XD-9, 100% the opposite. Some people love the G-17, it just isn't for me, definitely not saying it is a bad gun :) I actually used to have a P-64, couldn't stand that either, sold it about a year after buying it, same as you with the hand bruising and heavy trigger pull. I'm not sure about the generation of the G17, I fired it, back maybe 2000-2002, so I guess it was probably manufactured in the late 90's. If I had practiced with it more, I probably would have done better, I just didn't want to bother with it, due to the comfort factor.

First post here so hello to all and it's a pleasure. I'm a Saiga 12 owner and I swear by them. Anywho on to the topic at hand, as mentioned above the Glock is like the AK of the handgun world. My first handgun was a Glock 20 (10mm), I had shot many 1911s and Berettas as well as Glocks before I made the purchase. It is in my opinion the best gun I have ever owned for several reasons,

-they are incredibly accurate

-you CAN NOT break them

-they are idiot simple

-cleaning is a breeze

-no matter what caliber your shooting the feel is the same

-easiest saftey (and in my opinion safest (makes you keep your finger outside of trigger guard until ready to engage))

-price stays rock solid ( I bought my 1st gen glock for $450.00 new way back when and just sold it for $425.00 used)

-easy and cheap to customize

-I have never had (thank God) an FTF or FTE with any type of ammo including steel cased. I don't own any other gun (and I have quite the collection) that can boast this, all of them except for the Glock have had an FTF or FTE.

Hope this helps make the decision easier!

YARP

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the informative post as your first!

Now that I'm researching Glocks a lot more, I keep seeing them referred to as the "AK of handgun world". That's enough to sell me right there.

I found a guy on another forum, from near where I'll be moving in SC, who said he can hook me up with a NIB G19 for $500 out-the-door :super: . I'm almost thinking of throwing down the change to get a G19 and G30 at the same time.

that sounds like a pretty good setup.......but there are many more options. get out a pen and paper and your check book so I can give you the low low down on the ultimate Glock setup. I'm a true believer in the "Fear the man with one gun" theory.... ok only partially because I love toys to. I started out doing a TON of research before I bought my first pistol, I had used plenty of them but mostly 1911s and berettas (I hate berettas) the first time I picked up a Glock it fit my hand like it was made just for me. Anywho I did research till my eyes blead and I had found the end of the internet and decided on the Glock 20 in 10mm, it is an amazing gun but I already blabbed about that so..... My biggest problem was finding ammo, so I started to reload (whoever says you can't shoot reloads in a glock dosn't know what there talking about) after awhile I wanted to shoot other calibers but I didn't want to go through the hassle of buying a bunch of different pistols and that's when I found Lone Wolf Distributors. there website is www.lonewolfdist.com (no I don't work there). They have drop in barrels for the glock 20 in .357 sig, 9x25, .40 S&W that was all great and dandy but I wanted .45 ACP so I went out out and splurged and got the Glock 36, of course a month later my buddy tells me about this real great setup he bought for his Glock 21 that allowed him to shoot 10mm, needless to say I was pissed but I listened to the setup and it made sense. Lone wolf sells an extended slide that fits on the G20 or G21 frame that allows you to put the .45acp extended barrel on the Glock 20 frame. they also sell a .22 LR conversion from Advantage Arms and last but not least the .50 conversion from Guncrafter industrys, it is SWEET!!!!!!

All in all not shabby, I obviously don't carry all of this concealed on me but it makes for a great day at the range, if I run out of ammo all I have to do is switch out and use some of my buddies! so in one handgun frame I can shoot a total of 7 yup that's right 7 different calibers. I will keep the Glock 36 because its great for concealed carry but other than that I don't forsee myself purchasing any more semi-auto pistols in the future. :smoke:

Oh hell you thought I was done already!!!!!!! nope there's more. I unfortunatley live in a state where you can not have an SBS or SBR but if I could I would get the Glock 20 Tactical Carbine Package, it consists of 1 16" barrel a buttstock and a forward grip. I have shot one of these (I think it was the 21 in .45acp though) in a place where such things are legal and it was awesome, if I could have this setup I would probaly get rid of my PLR-16.

I imagine that you will want to carry concealed when you do get your pistol, I have mine in three different configurations depending on how I'm carrying that day.

1. holster carry=stock-with a lasermax laser (pretty nifty laser that replaces your guide rod=less junk hangin off your gun)

2. Maxpedition bag carry=threaded barrel with Compensator (lone wolf again), Lasermax laser and light

3. Maxpedition bag carry=Threaded barrel w/ compensator, Lasermax laser, light, GIS Glock tactical Scope Mount with an EOTech 511- this is by far my favorite when I can get pics up I most definatley will

yup thats about it :blues:

YARP

Do Glocks tend to digest steel cased ammo easily?...

Not really, when I fire mine with steel cased ammo, it spits the steel cases out in neat little piles.

I imagine that you will want to carry concealed when you do get your pistol, I have mine in three different configurations depending on how I'm carrying that day.

1. holster carry=stock-with a lasermax laser (pretty nifty laser that replaces your guide rod=less junk hangin off your gun)

2. Maxpedition bag carry=threaded barrel with Compensator (lone wolf again), Lasermax laser and light

3. Maxpedition bag carry=Threaded barrel w/ compensator, Lasermax laser, light, GIS Glock tactical Scope Mount with an EOTech 511- this is by far my favorite when I can get pics up I most definatley will

A 511 on a handgun? Interesting. Is that setup for competition or something? Looking forward to the pics.

"A 511 on a handgun? Interesting. Is that setup for competition or something? Looking forward to the pics."=22 shooter

I actually was in the mind set for years that iron sights were the only thing that belonged on a pistol. I think the first time I shot a pistol with a red dot on it was at an IDPA competition that my buddy was in, I LOVED it, I felt like an fing machine.... ping ping ping ping ping ping god I love that sound. rounds on steel=a day well spent

not long after that I took an advanced pistol course that more deeply covered the subject of the pistol being the last line of defense.

I had bought the tactical mount and had the EOTech 511 mounted on so I started to take it of for the class when the instructor spotted me and said "hey leave it on I wanna play with that later.". So I took the class with 511 on and it went awesome, through the CQB portion of the class I used the iron sights and the 511 and it makes a world of difference, the rate at which your putting solid hits on target is almost doubled.

I leave it on most of the time now, the mount allows you to use the iron sights if the EOTech goes down for any reason.... it's a great setup. I will get pictures up as soon as I can get my POS camera working.

on the flipper

YARP