Installing an AK-47 Bullet Guide in a 7.62 Saiga

It is possible to install an original AK-47 Bullet Guide in a 7.62 Saige with a flat trunnion but it is not as simple as installing Danzig's Part.

If you decide to go this route I hope my experience will help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The part will not fit correctly without a few minor modifications.

As you can see in this image the machined groove is not against the barrel which makes it sit too far back

BG01.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first step to fitting the Bullet Guide is notching the front edge.

If you look under the barrel you will see why it needs to be notched.

This is simple since you only have to remove about 1/16" of the material to the left and right of the section that sits in the trunnion groove.

BG02.jpg

Now you have to decide if you want to use the 3rd rivet to rotate the bolt into it's locked position or do you want the ramp on the left side of the bullet guide to perform that function.

If you want to use the ramp on the bullet guide you will have to remove the 3rd rivet (indicated with a red dot), The bolt will cycle more smoothly BUT you will have to fit your bolt to the ramp, which is explained below.

OR you can cut the original ramp off of the bullet guide and use the original rivet.

I removed the 3rd rivet for my conversion, it was simple to drill the rivet to remove it and the bullet guide covers the hole so nothing should come out of it.

BG03.jpg

Once the rivet was out, I mounted the Bullet Guide by drilling a through hole in the trunnion for a 6-32 counter sunk bolt. Then I applied white high temp locktite to the entire surface of the bullet guide and set it in place.

I set the 6-32 bolt in the hole and used long needle nose pliers and went under the trunnion to set a lock washer and nut in place. Then I used a wrench to tighten the nut.

The 3rd rivet sits forward of the the ramp on the Bullet Guide. In order to make the bolt function you have to remove material from the bolt until it rotates and locks into place with out any resistance at all.

I used a file with a safe edge and slowly remove material from the area on the bolt, indicated with a red arrow, until it worked properly.

BG04.jpg

I think I covered everything but if you have any questions please post them below.

Thanks

Edited by Boba Debt

Nice guide, but can you please mention the bolt mod necessity right up next to the rivet drilling part. It completely changes the whole equation - modify a cheap part - bullet guide vs drilling the rivet out and mod a bolt - I would say most people would never mod two important parts of the rifle over an expendable $15 dollar one, right?

Thanks for the input, I have made some changes

Personally I wanted my gun to be a close to an AK as possible so using the original ramp would have been my first choice.

You do not have to mod 2 parts, you just have to mod the ramp on the bolt that rides on the Bullet Guide Ramp.

It's not very difficult to do.

Personally I wanted my gun to be a close to an AK as possible so using the original ramp would have been my first choice.

Very much a valid point - I would add that as a rationale for your tutorial and the choice you recommend if I were you. Some people are fussy about being faithful to AK in their conversions and would very much appreciate your tutorial and some do not care, so they can skip.