I don't foresee any quick cleaning methods to get that stuff out. At least not quick enough to get it out before the wife gets back, assuming she's coming back tonight. On the plus side, there's much worse smelling things you could have embedded in your carpet. I like the smell of Hoppes.

Do you have any kids or pets you can blame it on? ^_^

I don't foresee any quick cleaning methods to get that stuff out. At least not quick enough to get it out before the wife gets back, assuming she's coming back tonight. On the plus side, there's much worse smelling things you could have embedded in your carpet. I like the smell of Hoppes.

Yeah, but Ill take the blame myself. I just used some soap and water and it didn't seem to do anything.

• Like 1

Going forward, give M-Pro7 a look. Great stuff...odorless, non-toxic, and cleans fouling like nobody's business. I picked up some free samples at the SHOT show a few years back and haven't gone back to Hoppe's since. BTW, same company, just a newer product.

http://www.mpro7.com/MPro7-Gun-Cleaner.html

Beyond that, I know where you're coming from. My wife hated it whenever I get the Hoppes out. Even when I was in the garage, she swore she could smell that stuff in the house.

Going forward, give M-Pro7 a look. Great stuff...odorless, non-toxic, and cleans fouling like nobody's business. I picked up some free samples at the SHOT show a few years back and haven't gone back to Hoppe's since. BTW, same company, just a newer product.

Beyond that, I know where you're coming from. My wife hated it whenever I get the Hoppes out. Even when I was in the garage, she swore she could smell that stuff in the house.

Thanks Ill have to try it out. Ive got one more hour till my wife gets back, Im hoping someone knows a quick way to lift this smell out...

ANYONE????

• Like 1

Yeah, but Ill take the blame myself. I just used some soap and water and it didn't seem to do anything.

This works with MOST stains. You need the following:

Stiff nylon brush like you use in the bathroom ( leave the metal one for the grill)

Clean rags

Your favorite carpet cleaner solution ( I like Resolve dual power)

Directions:

Put the cleaner on the stain

Brush the stain a bit to work the cleaner into the stain ( just a little)

Wrag rag around brush

Apply elbow grease to said brush and stain.

rotate rag often or replace as it gets dirty.

By using the rag around the brush you are getting stain and dirt into the rag and not spreading it around or working it deeper.

Warning...this tends to work very well, you might get a really clean spot so rest of carpet needs to be cleaned.

This works with MOST stains. You need the following:

Stiff nylon brush like you use in the bathroom ( leave the metal one for the grill)

Clean rags

Your favorite carpet cleaner solution ( I like Resolve dual power)

Directions:

Put the cleaner on the stain

Brush the stain a bit to work the cleaner into the stain ( just a little)

Wrag rag around brush

Apply elbow grease to said brush and stain.

rotate rag often or replace as it gets dirty.

By using the rag around the brush you are getting stain and dirt into the rag and not spreading it around or working it deeper.

Warning...this tends to work very well, you might get a really clean spot so rest of carpet needs to be cleaned.

awsome, Im off to buy some carpet cleaner, Ive got a brush. Thanks to all of you for the help!

• Like 1

Thanks Ill have to try it out. Ive got one more hour till my wife gets back, Im hoping someone knows a quick way to lift this smell out...

ANYONE????

Your obviously a Dead Head. Twist one up and spark it the minute she walks in the door. Even if she notices it she won't care in a few minutes. :haha:

Rent a rug doctor , And get busy

Pull the carpet back and get the padding

Good luck, I would be a dead man

If the carpet is somewhat beat just rip it out and tell her you are buying her new carpet.

Edited by havok

ANYONE????

Your obviously a Dead Head. Twist one up and spark it the minute she walks in the door. Even if she notices it she won't care in a few minutes. :haha:

lol :D No, Sal would never partake of any illegal, (even though it shouldn't be), substances!! :blush:

That's a pretty damn good idea, actually. Twist up a very kind j if possible, Sal. Offer her a hit and a kiss as she comes in the door and odds are, she won't notice and/or care about the Hoppe's spill. :smoke:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

ANYONE????

Heh, thats a thought, but my wife isn't into the same extracurricular activities as I am. :smoke: Anyway The smell died down, and she hasn't noticed it yet. The thing is we just moved here and we are renting this place, so Im not really gonna rip up the carpet to get down to the pad. The carpet cleaner lifted up a bit as did the rag and soap method. Its a huge house, so there is a chance she won't notice it untill the smell totally dissepates.

• Like 1

I am surprised that an aromatic hydrocarbon solvent would leave much of a stain when dry. If so, I would make sure that it was good and dry, then go at it with the stain remover they sell for carpets.

Good Luck, if it does not work you might consider rearranging the funituer...

I am surprised that an aromatic hydrocarbon solvent would leave much of a stain when dry. If so, I would make sure that it was good and dry, then go at it with the stain remover they sell for carpets.

Good Luck, if it does not work you might consider rearranging the funituer...

Its more of a smell then a stain. It smells really fume-ish (if thats a word). A small stain wouldn't bother me.

Anyway my wife found it and did not freak out. But Im gonna have to find somthing to clean it better than the carpet cleaner shit I bought at safeway.

several passes/gallons of hot/boiling water, and a large shop vac poked into the floor hard will do it........sorry for the late response.....

cool, thanks, I am gonna rent a vac tomorrow.

• Like 1
leave it. thats one of the best smells in the world aside from the smell of packing grease and oil soaked paper when you get a new parts kit. :wub:

Ha! in small doses I agree with you, but this was nearly the whole bottle that spilled. I like to keep the strange smells :smoke: coming from my house to a minimum....

• Like 1
leave it. thats one of the best smells in the world aside from the smell of packing grease and oil soaked paper when you get a new parts kit. :wub:

I used to splash a little on as aftershave when I was dating. It went a long way toward attracting the right kind of women!

Thanks everyone for the help. There is no noticeable stain now, I used boiling water and vac-ed it up. There is still a slight smell, but I assume that will dissipate after a few days. Again, thanks for all the great comments!

• Like 1