What are you using for padding on the stock?

My Saiga has the standard Tapco stock with the metal plate.

Ok, it was cool the first two times showing off the bruised horizontal lines on my shoulder but would like to shoot it without seeing this every so often.

What padding are you using on the end of the stock?

While searching through some threads I came across the following image an noticed the padding and am curious to know how this fairs along with what other options are available.

SaigaStockPadding.jpg

I removed the metal plate then modified the end of the tapco stock and installed a grind to fit limbsaver. Just the right length and I'm able to shoot hundreds of rounds without even feeling anything on my shoulder.

Post 13 here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry256468

The gun:

limbsaver001.jpg

Edited by hobbyshooter
This: Butt pad

I've had 3 different stocks now on my Saiga and used the same grenade launcher pad like the one in your pic example on all 3. Notice it did not even fit well on this stock, but a couple feet of paracord with some epoxy fixed it tight. Best pad for pounding magnum slugs out of the S-12s all day. Lots of rubber and air cushion. Sticks tight in your shoulder also since it is wide and sticky (just like my girls).

http://www.twinhairdryers.0catch.com/

I think I paid 25 bucks for mine, but this place has them for 15 or 16.

http://www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=339

Edited by twinhairdryers
My Saiga has the standard Tapco stock with the metal plate.

Ok, it was cool the first two times showing off the bruised horizontal lines on my shoulder but would like to shoot it without seeing this every so often.

What padding are you using on the end of the stock?

While searching through some threads I came across the following image an noticed the padding and am curious to know how this fairs along with what other options are available.

SaigaStockPadding.jpg

I use a 1 inch slip on pad, it was the most cushy of any I've seen. It is the Limbsaver!!

This pad makes it sooooo comfortable to shoot my 12. As your forum name implies,

I too was taking a beating. I have a ace stock so the slip on isn't the most secure on a skeletal stock,

but my shoulder sings songs of praises and thankfulness.

Edited by double

All I can say is......I love my Limbsaver. Even with slugs, no bruising yet.

**EDIT** I don't know if you've tried this, but applying isometric tension on the weapon is supposed to help, if you can get over the weird feel of it. Personally, I never developed a taste for it, but some folks swear by it. It works like this:

You use the front and rear hands to either push towards each other or pull away from each other (while holding the weapon, obviously). I was told to push together, but I've seen others say you're supposed to pull apart instead. Regardless of which way you do it, you also press your shoulder firmly into the buttpad.

Edited by Corbin

Technique.

It can't be taught because it's different for everyone. You have to develop your own.

Think absorbtion....

Left hand 33%

Right hand 33%

Shoulder 33%

Balls 1%

If you are absorbing 100% of the recoil through your shoulder, your technique is all wrong. Put the gorilla grip on the forend and pistol grip then man-up on that thing before you pull the trigger. When I was a kid, my Dad had a sawed-off 12ga. that had to be held firmly to fire. That's how I learned.

In other words, stop limp-wristing that thing and fire it like a man!

The Ace 1" recoil pad on my folder does a great job!

On the other hand I am used to the Remington 870 factory metal folder!

DCP_0051-5.jpg

That is not mine, mine is a Stainless Marine Magnum,

Technique.

It can't be taught because it's different for everyone. You have to develop your own.

Think absorbtion....

Left hand 33%

Right hand 33%

Shoulder 33%

Balls 1%

If you are absorbing 100% of the recoil through your shoulder, your technique is all wrong. Put the gorilla grip on the forend and pistol grip then man-up on that thing before you pull the trigger. When I was a kid, my Dad had a sawed-off 12ga. that had to be held firmly to fire. That's how I learned.

In other words, stop limp-wristing that thing and fire it like a man

Edited by double
Technique.

Think absorbtion....

Left hand 33%

Right hand 33%

Shoulder 33%

Balls 1%

In other words, stop limp-wristing that thing and fire it like a man!

Thanks for the tip,sound advice

Technique. *snip*

Thanks for the tip,sound advice

While I agree good form is something we should all train to have but expecting to always have that perfect form is purely for range shooting.

Getting off the X rapidly and immediately trying to bring your sights of any shoulder fire weapon on target rarely puts it in the "perfect form" position.

Even doing standing-still ambidextrous drills will continuously put the weapon in a shitty position if you do it long enough and push yourself hard enough.

Recoil of the S12 is mild at worst. Try a pump with that shorty PG choate stock thats square and pointy at the end :)

Get something smaller or get stronger!

I am using the recoil pad that you have shown in the photo of your first post. Works for me for the recoil but primarily because it lengthens the stock and makes the gun fit me better which is an aid to accuracy right there. Mine came with my gun when I bought from Rusmilitary but I ended up using the screws out of the buttplate and screwing it on directly to the stock/buttplate.

Man... 22_shooter beat me to it.

I don't have anything for a pad, and the only time i really got any bruising was during the warthog test. around 100 3" goose loads and 40 3" turky loads will do that.

Its all part of the expirience!

The first time I shot my s12 I bruised pretty bad...yellow and black w/tenderness for a few days The second time there was just some redness so I am sure I will get use to it. That said I have ordered one of the above recoil pads because I feel that this gun is about an inch short and this seems to be an easy way to increase the length...Thanks for the ideas guys!!

That is the Izhmash made buttpad that they use on some of their Taktica and military/police models including the S12S-01 ver. 030 and the KS.

Oooh.. I want :D Where to find these?

Anyways, 12GA kick is peanuts. You want a kick, you can fire my unmodified 8mm Yugo Mauser with some of that really hot 1950 Turkish ammo. Steel butt plate is all you get. :D I fire that thing all the time and I am used to it now. Makes the Saiga12 feel like a .22 rifle.

Saiga-12KButtpad5.jpg

Saiga-12KButtpad2.jpg

Saiga-12KButtpad3.jpg

Saiga-12KButtpad4.jpg

Saiga-12KButtpad.jpg

B)

Is this even avail anywhere? I would like 1 of those for my factory 12-C because of the folding stock not really anything else you can put on it and not have to remove when folding the stock.