I am considering putting one on in the future, and was wondering if it would hold up well on a S12 given the recoil? Is their something better for a shotgun for the same amount of money that I am overlooking? Also any other input you may have would be appreciated.

Just put one on last month and I love it. It makes target acquisition really fast. Keep both eyes open and put it in the circle. It allows me to shoot trap reasonably well against the fudds. It is getting difficult to track one down, they stopped importing them.

If you can track one down, I feel that it is a quality product that has impressed me from the second I put it on. Good luck

I got a PKAS-V on my S12 although I prefer irons over it, IMO it works better on the rifles. Its hard to find one nowadays got mine from Tantal but I'm not sure if he has any left.

EDIT: As for an alternative try Kerbs ghost rings, priced at around $99.

Edited by XXasdf

Just be careful to not get your face all up into it, the PK-AS can come back and take a bite out of your forehead :lol:

The PK-AS is nice for the S12 as someone else mentioned and it does work. The only problem I have had with mine is that if you don't make sure the elevation and windage screws are locked down tight, the recoil can cause the elevation shaft to pop out and make the dot look at the ground because the body is sprung up in the rear. Takes about 2 seconds with a screw driver and a hammer to reseat, but at first sight it looks like the scope is wrecked. After I tapped mine back in place I haven't had another issue with it and it's still running great...just mildly surprising is all really.

They are hard to zero though, especially on a shotgun because of the recoil, due to the location of the elevation and wingage adjustments, but for the practical ranges of birdshot I'd say no zero is required. Slugs at 100 yards would probably be a PITA to get on target, but possible I suppose.

Kalinka has them in stock for a whopping $349...but I guess if you have to have one at least there is an outlet.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

I was looking at getting one from eastwave also. So you guys think it is better on a rifle? What would you suggest for a shotgun, keeping in mind that I dont know if I would be up to the challenge and $400 price tag to put on better irons? Possibly a reflex sight for quicker target acquisition? Just looking for input before I spend a couple hundred dollars on a sight only to find out I could have gotten something better suited for my gun. Thanks for the replies so far.

Edited by Death_Delirium
I was looking at getting one from eastwave also. So you guys think it is better on a rifle? What would you suggest for a shotgun, keeping in mind that I dont know if I would be up to the challenge and $400 price tag to put on better irons? Possibly a reflex sight for quicker target acquisition? Just looking for input before I spend a couple hundred dollars on a sight only to find out I could have gotten something better suited for my gun. Thanks for the replies so far.

Kerbs ghost rings are not very difficult to install(front sight is bolt on) and its priced at around $99. The PK-ASV on the other hand will run you about 350-$400. Also consider Kobra sights which are usually priced lower. Its all preference, pick what you're most comfortable shooting with.

Kerbs ghost rings are not very difficult to install(front sight is bolt on) and its priced at around $99. The PK-ASV on the other hand will run you about 350-$400. Also consider Kobra sights which are usually priced lower. Its all preference, pick what you're most comfortable shooting with.

I found a PK-AS for $288, which I dont think is too bad of a price. How hard is it to install the Krebs sights? Are there instructions on the web somewhere, do you need to weld the rear sight on? How does it compare to the HK sight in function and ease of install? Also how do the both of them compare to a PK-AS, what are the pros and cons?

I have a cheap reflex sight that has yet to go on my AK and a Bushnell scope on my AR, but beyond that I do not know a whole lot about optics. I want to get input from you guys before I put the money into an optics system. I like the idea of having the PK-AS from an aesthetic viewpoint and it seems like a good Russian optic, but I dont want to put it on there if it is not functionally up to the task or if it is not necessary for a shotgun.

Kalinka has them in stock for a whopping $349...but I guess if you have to have one at least there is an outlet.

Wow! That's a bit high, considering that EastWave has them for $288. It's the same Belarus made scope and every thing. EastWave ships them directly from Belarus. I received it much faster than expected, in about a week and a half. Bought a POSP from them before too. It had a problem, but they replaced it without a hassle.

It's funny that, in one older thread about optics, one guy says that EastWave is overpriced - that's it's probably some dude who buys stuff from Kalinka and re-sells it on eBay. Well, it looks like the roles have reversed. :)

Oh yeah... if you have Saiga/AK rifle, do zero the scope on it first. It will be much easier to zero it in with shotgun slugs after that.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
I am holding out for the Kobra sights. Everyone seems to be out of stock on them though :/ Does the PK-AS offer much over, say, the EKP-8-02?

The main advantage of the PK-AS is the "black dot", which allows you to aim effectively even without batteries. That's what sold it to me. Also, a couple of eBay stores have Kobra for under $300.

I am holding out for the Kobra sights. Everyone seems to be out of stock on them though :/ Does the PK-AS offer much over, say, the EKP-8-02?

The main advantage of the PK-AS is the "black dot", which allows you to aim effectively even without batteries. That's what sold it to me. Also, a couple of eBay stores have Kobra for under $300.

Thanks for the heads-up. I need something REALLY bright. Being out here in arizona, the daytime hours can be brutal if the red-dot is weak. The kobras have blue-green tinted optics to filter out the incoming red light so that the red reticle has better contrast. I will look into the PK-AS as well. My AK needs something to replace the piece-of-shit NC Star that I have on it now. :(

Kobra's seem to have an issue with the switches breaking. PK-AS though nice, really don't offer that great of an advantage in my opinion. Go with the Krebs. I did, and it was the best money I've spent on my S12. Getting slugs on target is a breeze with Krebs sights replacing the standard irons...

I found a PK-AS for $288, which I dont think is too bad of a price. How hard is it to install the Krebs sights? Are there instructions on the web somewhere, do you need to weld the rear sight on? How does it compare to the HK sight in function and ease of install? Also how do the both of them compare to a PK-AS, what are the pros and cons?

I have a cheap reflex sight that has yet to go on my AK and a Bushnell scope on my AR, but beyond that I do not know a whole lot about optics. I want to get input from you guys before I put the money into an optics system. I like the idea of having the PK-AS from an aesthetic viewpoint and it seems like a good Russian optic, but I dont want to put it on there if it is not functionally up to the task or if it is not necessary for a shotgun.

I believe Kerbs sights come with installation instructions. Also it does not require any welding since it replaces your factory rear sight and adds a clamp-on front sight. The recoil form the 12ga doesnt effect the PKAS too much but the cheap reflex will probably break. As Jpanzer stated kerbs sights are probably your best investment for your S12. You could always get both as long as you don't mind spending the $:dollar:$.

I believe Kerbs sights come with installation instructions. Also it does not require any welding since it replaces your factory rear sight and adds a clamp-on front sight. The recoil form the 12ga doesnt effect the PKAS too much but the cheap reflex will probably break. As Jpanzer stated kerbs sights are probably your best investment for your S12. You could always get both as long as you don't mind spending the $:dollar:$.

Thank you XXasdf. I think I will go with the Krebs first and if after I get it set up I still feel that I want a red dot then I will get the PK-AS.