May have to trade 7.62 for 223

Not looking good on the shoulder any time soon. I DID have Levaquin about two moths before the original injury, and it did make the tendons brittle. That's why a simple slip and fall ruptured three tendons in the shoulder in January. As to why one popped loose now, that is still unknown. While 57 is not old, I won't heal as quickly or completely as you young stallions out there. Pretty much told that my deer hunting from now on will be with my Magnaported 8 3/8" S&W Model 29-2, as that won't stress the shoulder. The Mossberg rifled barrel with 3" slugs is probably not ever going to be an option again.

I will heal enough for the M1 Carbine (which I have and love), or a 223 like an AR15, mini-14 or Saiga 223. Right now I wish I still had the 223 I converted for Galil mags and had the Galil handguard ( I trade to get into a 7.62x39). While I know I can pick up another 223 and convert it (that part is fun!), it is the aggravation of changing out magazines, ammo, dies, etc. that I have been accumulating for 5 months.

I will find out more when I see the actual surgeon.

UGH! THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Ordered a US made Russian/Bulgarian style grenade launcher recoil pad from FSE for $16.95. Identical to Russian, but made to be a tighter fit. I will try it before surgery and see if it works. 7.62x39 out of an AK with a 103 brake has not much recoil, so maybe I am just being paranoid. I shot it with the folder on about a week ago (before I found out the pain was caused by a detached tendon) and it HURT! Damn I have turned into a wuss!

If you do go with the .223, don't repeat your mistake and sell the 7.62. Who knows? You may be fine in a couple of years. Don't need to be kicking yourself about letting another good conversion slip away.

If you do go with the .223, don't repeat your mistake and sell the 7.62. Who knows? You may be fine in a couple of years. Don't need to be kicking yourself about letting another good conversion slip away.

+1.

The 7.62's recoil is light enough that I think time to heal or a simple fix like a recoil pad could make it comfortable for you to use again. After all the work you've put in converting your Saiga 7.62 into more of an AK-103, I think you should hold onto it if at all possible.

This could be your opportunity to develop a skill that many/most? of us never spend the time on........

achieving proficiency with the weak side :up:

Good luck with everything. Maybe after some good rehab you'll be even stronger on that bad shoulder :D

HarvKY

Don't give up on the shoulder. I have had three major reconstructions on my left shoulder (age 19, 25 and 35). I grew up a lefty, which is the side all of the work was done on. I just took my time and learned to be very proficient while shooting right handed. In time, you can make it work very well for yourself as I even carry right handed now while on duty and I have been healed for a few years. I'm still left eye dominant, but like everything else, you can learn to adapt. Where there is a will, there is a way. Keep us posted and good luck.

as much as you have put into that rifle, you should definitely not let it go. Did you switch back to the Kvar stock that you were using prior to the folder? I think a pad will help you greatly. Maybe a shooters vest with reinforced should could help also. You just may need a 5" stock by the time your done with the padding though lol.

Also there is the Romanian Recoil Reducing Buttstock. It looks like it was built with a shock absorber inside.

DSC05554.jpg

i have not read any reviews of one though, so i do not know how well they work.

Thanks for the moral support and ideas, guys! Post A, you are right, I would kick myself later if it gets better. I have heard good things about the FSE copy of the Russian/Bulgarian recoil pad, and read some great reviews of the FSE on some other forums. Side by side you cant tell it apart from an original (he used an original for the mold), but it fits tighter.

As for the brake helping, it is true. Before I put the metal side folder on, the KVar polymer did not seem to relay much felt recoil, but that was before this tendon had detached. That was before I left for vacation. The tendon snapped on vacation, though it was two weeks before I found out what the trouble was. After I came home I had taken the Romanian folder off my Rommie and put it on the Saiga, I tried to shoot it, and it hurt like hell. I guess I was stupid to try shooting, but I thought I had a pinched nerve or strain. It never occurred to me that it was torn again!

I'll put the recoil pad on the KVar stock and try it BEFORE surgery. If it isn't bad when I shoot it now, it will be better after surgery.

Here's the link to the recoil pad. As far as I know, no sponsors sell it, so it shouldn't tread on anyone's toes. It looks like besides absorbing recoil it spreads that force over twice as large of an area, and it is VERY Russian AK looking.

http://www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?cPa...products_id=339

I feel your pain! At 56 I just had surgery on my left shoulder to remove bone spurs in March. Slowly but surely I am getting back to a state of normal.

It takes time and it takes some effort to regain your strength. Be sure to include physical therapy and resistance training as part of your RX. It can help you reach your recovery goals quicker.

I'm just glad that it wasn't my shooting shoulder!

Best wishes for a successful surgery!

Steve F.

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks. This poor shoulder has had its share of abuse, having injured it 3 or 4 time in 20 years of LE. Just never had surgery then. I finally had a tune up surgery on the right shoulder 4 years ago, but in January I fell and dislocated it, completely detaching three rotor cuff tendons (thanks to Levaquin making them brittle) and almost tore the forth one completely through. The split me opened and rebuilt it. I did three months physical therapy and got 100% range of motion and 85% strength back within 5 months. The about 3-4 weeks ago on vacation, I was putting on my underpants in the morning and one tore off again! Damn. You're right Jake, getting older SUCKS! My brain tells me I am 20, but my bad back that retired me and various other injuries remind me daily that I am 57!