Folding Mech

up and down, just slightly.

i know it has a moving part, and i think that is what it is.

so if it is un-folded and your looking down the sight.

the mech will move a tad. can do it while folded as well..

The push button mechanisms wiggle a lot, but it can vary from piece to piece. We've installed some that are tight, and we've installed some that were completely unacceptable. The spring loaded ones all seem to be tight.

Craig

min is a spring loaded one.

and when i mean move. i am talking only the tiniest of a fraction of a noticeable movement.

i have the 2 longer screws with hex caps with washers going into the smaller bit connecting to isa.

Edited by DrWho

My Ace folder is rock solid, even slightly difficult to unlock. It does not have a button to release it. It's a tight as the folder on my FAL "Para", and that's tight.

If I had to I wouldn't hesitate to buttstroke an adversary without fear of damage or that it would come unlocked.

i was afraid of that.

bugs me a bit... not sure if i should send it back and ask for one with out wiggle or will they all have em..

man..

That is the first time I have seen that stock mounted. I like it!

As far as the folding mechanism goes, is it a Ace or...?

I have the Ace folder on mine, and like StarPD's it is rock solid!

not sure if it is an ace folder?

yeah the stock is nice the MSA ISA is sw33t! but the folding mech

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...products_id=125

i don't know..

may try to add some electrical tape to it to close the gap.

i swear the movement is tiny, but to me noticeable

Edited by DrWho

That's the same kind I have. ACE folder. Mine locks pretty solid. It's got a tiny bit of wiggle up and down but, it's barely noticable. It does wobble noticably when folded though.

I also had the pin back out on me at the range a few times so I put some loctite on the non-moving ends of the assembly. Haven't tested it yet but I hope that keeps the bastard solid from now on.

Mine did move a bit but did some fitting of the cam like surfaces an it went away unless fired with high base ammo. It would then sort of unlock and relock while firing. I made a little bracket with a hole on one side that fits against the side of the folder and keeps it from moving. Uses an exsiting threaded hole in the folder and a big knurled screw to hold it one. Yeah, I know, makes it a little hokey, but I have folder on it just for easy storage not quick action, and it is absolutly solid now. I will replace it with a push button one as I know that they can be adjusted with an added set screw to be rock solid too.

My Ace folder unlocked and folded on me last week during rapid fire. Not cool.

It is not the push button one. It's the regular one and I would say it is very tight and even difficult to operate.

Anybody ever have this happen?

It is your firing technique.

You are holding the gun in such a way that the recoil is pushing the locking surfaces out of alignment.

Adjust your firing stance and this should not happen.

Dr. Who: I'd recommend you sell your push button job and get a Galil-style folder. Those are designed to be tight and stay tight until they literally wear away to nothing (as your push button internals wear, they'll get looser and looser).

All the spring loaded cam-type ones I've seen are pretty tight.Maybe a tiny bit of wobble on the pivot pin side. I think it's the fit of the pivot pin.

The push button ones all wobble some, lately they wobble a lot. Totally unacceptable wobble.

I've been tightening them up as I use them.

All the spring loaded cam-type ones I've seen are pretty tight.Maybe a tiny bit of wobble on the pivot pin side. I think it's the fit of the pivot pin.

The push button ones all wobble some, lately they wobble a lot. Totally unacceptable wobble.

I've been tightening them up as I use them.

Well.. I have a push-button Ace folder on my gun, (I might have bought the standard type knowing what I know now), and the wobble isn't really what bothers me. Sure, there is some, (side-to-side), but there's no wobble when I have it shouldered, which is what counts.

No, what bothers me about my Ace push-button folder is how much the "push-button", (screw), likes to loosen itself, (to the point that it fell out at one point). Blue loc-tite should fix it, but it's a bit annoying that loc-tite is necessary.

I haven't bought the folder yet (waiting for my S-12 to arrive any day now) and had the Ace folder all picked out, mostly becasue it can be flipped to allow the stock to fold the opposite of standard way (I am wrong handed) and thought that might be a nice option.

Maybe that benifit does not outweigh the potentiol bad.

I was looking at this one:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...ECHANISM/Detail

Anyone have a link to a better one? I don't really want to go to the AR style one that they sell.

Thanks!

what do you mean by fitting?

I called them cam like but I guess I really should call them wedge surfaces. There are two of them and on mine at least the one nearest the the hinge contacted first not allowing the main one to engage fully. I filled the offending side of the wedge until both were tight. It helped to put a shim over the spring to make it tighter too.

What is the correct stance to keep the thing from unlocking? I would like not to use my homemade clamp if I don't need to. It never actually folded up just could feel the spring compress and then snap back into place.

Edited by WGMann