Shotgun or rifle  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Saiga shotgun
    • Any other semi auto shotgun
    • Pump shotgun
    • Saiga rifle
    • Some other brand of rifle

I do not have a clue why, but I enjoy my shotguns more than my rifles. I think this may be due to my age and decreasing eye sight. I like to be close to the target and with water filled jugs and phone books, I like to watch them fly up into the air when they are hit. Watching through a scope or binoculars just is not the same.

And, absent an economic collapse or invasion by China, is there any reason why I need a rifle if I have shotguns?

So, factoring age out of this equation, is this normal, abnormal, weird, or not worth any further thought?

Edited by WarriorJudge

I don't own a shotgun (yet). I prefer rifles. My eyes are failing me, but I still prefer to shoot rifles and shoot at targets 100 yards or more away. I feel like I'm making the most of my eyes for whatever time I've got left with them!

I could see where a shotgun would be the best bet for home defense, but I've got a handgun and frangible ammo for that...

I am at the point were I am am refining my collection. I am getting ready to sell or trade off some modified Remington 1100 and 870. I also have a spare High Standard 10-B I am going to part with. I have always liked shotguns for close in work, but I still have a use for rifles.

I want a Valmet or a 7.62x39 Galil, but am most likely going to settle for a copy built on a Norinco Hunter. I want a shooter, not a safe queen.

Hell, get what you enjoy, you don't have to answer for your choices to anyone!

Although I really enjoy all of my shotguns and rifles (including the Saigas), I would have to say that for a favorite that it is a toss up between my FAL and Galil. I would have to take one of these over all of the others.

And BTW, I'd say that you are a normal American with the freedom of choice. Ok, maybe just a wee bit AB Normal :lolol:

Edited by GeorgiaPD

It really comes down to application.

I like rifles because of the obvious accuracy and long range uses. Some game just cannot be taken easily with a shotgun because, well, you get detected within 100 meters.

Likewise, I would never use a rifle for home defense... too much penetrating power. I suppose an AK with hollow-points might be safe indoors... but would probably be best to carry a handgun in addition.

If I were to be tossed out in a wilderness battlefield, I would take a rifle and a handgun without thought. If I were in an urban situation and had to do any fighting indoors, the shotgun would be my weapon of choice. You have a selection of loads that serve different purposes, and their lethality and chance-to-hit at close range is unmatched.

But honestly, what is the likelihood of any of us ending up on the battlefield any time soon. :D So from a practical standpoint... I choose shotgun. I cannot shoot clays with my AK very well :lolol:

When I'm on the computer and a room suddenly needs to be cleared I like my Saiga 12 with the drum attached even though I don't have either yet and if there are no hostages involved. If someone is trying to take my wallet from 200 yards away I like my 7.62x39. When I was on the road with that kid who kept calling me papa all the god damn time all I had was my revolver but that served me just fine until I died. I guess though, I would have to say, as far as shooting for fun goes, I love to shoot clay.

all I had was my revolver but that served me just fine until I died.

Hate to hear about your loss...

Thanks for the support. Truth is I got over it pretty quick...I was a bit of an ass hole if you know what I mean. No big loss.

You left out pistols. Your closer so it's fun + practical.

As for the 2 choices... Shotgun. Do be proficient with your riffle, but for fun & just "Blowin stuff up," not to mention that shotgun ammo is cheaper than 9mm lately, (yeah whats up with that!!) The Saiga-12 wins hands down.

Bob: You are correct. My intent was stated a bit ambiguously.

I was trying to justify selling my rifles and buying even more shotguns. I guess if that is what I like, that is what I should have.

More succinctly stated: What are the arguments/reasons why I need a rifle?

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

Personally, I would get rid of my shotguns before I got rid of my rifles. In a pinch, I can always use my rifle at closer ranges. Unless I practice indirect fire with slugs, I can't push the shotgun past its max range.

WJ, even if you prefer the shotguns, why not hold on to one rifle?

Seeing as how I only own and have only ever shot shotguns, my opinion is bias towards them. My husband bought me a Mossberg to start off, which I love, I have two of them now. We also (or HE rather) has two Saigas that are sweet, although the kick back hurts (I'm a delicate flower, what can I say :P ) And we also have an Eqyptian AK.

I've never shot a rifle, but in my head (this is just purely my opinion) I equate rifle shooting to hunting, and I am NO hunter. I prefer the look of a scary tactical Saiga, AK what have you to the look of a hunting rifle. I know, not ALL rifles are for hunting (like a sniper rifle), but whenever I see a rifle, I always think 'hunter'.

My husband has a few in mind he'd like to buy eventually, I'm cool with that. I'll try it out... I may even love it, who knows!