None of them! Forget the cars. Buy a Ducati.

Or else buy a clunker! I totaled my first car twice (an OLD Buick)... then trashed it when it couldn't be salvaged anymore.

Look, buy your auqa blue Camaro... drive it youeself, and tell her she can move up from the peice of crap clunker car to the Camaro when if she can keep a clean driving record for a year. That way you can drive it for a year! :D

Athough I still vote for aa Ducati instead...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is bringing back memories. One summer while in College I worked at an Oldsmobile and Datsun (Datsun, before they changed it to Nissan) dealer. I was the "wash boy." I washed and prepped cars. I got to drive Datsun 260Zs, but I really loved the Hurst Olds 442. It was the first car, as I recall, with a digital tachometer and it looks sharp and hauled balls - I really liked the black with gold stripes and trim.

Oh, the good old days!

The first Hurst Olds 442 I saw was at the Summer Nationals and was being modeled by Ms. Linda Vaughn, "Miss Hurst Golden Shifter." Now that is a memory! :wub:

Obviously by my screename, I'm a chevy guy. BUT!, I agree with Juggs on the front clip of the new camaro. It's a awesome car that has a celebrity front grille. I really like the new Ford Cobra. Really fast, with all forged internals, lots of available mods and a overall awesome look.

I'm really a classic car guy. If it takes more brains than gas, fire and timing, I'm lost when it comes to repairs or even understanding how it works...

I voted for the Challenger since it will probably end up being the most collectible of the three.

That said, I bought a Mustang due to the price, the ability to customize with all the aftermarket out there, and the nostalgia of my first car. Funny, I thought that I was the only one who bought my car based on my first car, which was also a Mustang of the same color.

I sure wish I had parents like those on this thread, though. My first Mustang was an '85 that I got in '91 and it only had 88 horsepower! My new one, after a few mods, has around 350.

I voted for the Challenger since it will probably end up being the most collectible of the three.

That said, I bought a Mustang due to the price, the ability to customize with all the aftermarket out there, and the nostalgia of my first car. Funny, I thought that I was the only one who bought my car based on my first car, which was also a Mustang of the same color.

I sure wish I had parents like those on this thread, though. My first Mustang was an '85 that I got in '91 and it only had 88 horsepower! My new one, after a few mods, has around 350.

I was "blessed" with pretty good parents and I am trying to take the good things they did, and apply them to my kids, and reject the things I did not like about my parents and not apply those things to my kids.

One of the things my middle class parents, who did not go to college, did was to gently bribe my sister and me. We were told from a very early age that if we never got into trouble (arrested, kicked out of school without good cause, etc.) and got accepted to a four year college, they would buy us a new car. That was all I needed to hear to keep me on the straight and narrow. So, in December 1973, with an acceptance letter to college in hand, my dad and I went to the local Chevy dealer, we plunked down cash and I drove off the lot in a brand new 350, four speed manual, aqua blue Camaro. (Which was not a good choice to drive in December in Michigan).

Anyway, I am trying to keep that tradition alive. I have promised both my girls the same deal. Financially, it is going to hurt, but they will need a car eventually and I have stressed that we are buying them one, after that first car, they will be on their own to pay for subsequent cars. So far, despite being a bit "boy crazy" they are both living up to the standard and are on track for the new car. I likely will buy Alyssa her car a bit before the college acceptance letter, but only because she is in honors classes and is clearly on track to earn her car (besides, if she lets me down afterward, I'll take the car away!)

WJ

True performance begins with two wheels:

bmw-hp2-sport1_59.jpg

BMW HP2

1200 cc 130 h.p. opposed twin with six speed shaft drive (I know, the motorheads are saying wait a minute thats a....but, it is less expensive than the cars and least double or triple the gas mileage.)

Edited by Ronswin
True performance begins with two wheels:

BMW HP2

1200 cc 130 h.p. opposed twin with six speed shaft drive (I know, the motorheads are saying wait a minute thats a....but, it is less expensive than the cars and least double or triple the gas mileage.)

I wouldn't buy a BMW car let alone a bike.

IMHO :booo: and i guess that means more for you.

Motorcycles are way too dangerous in my opinion. A minor accident in a vehicle can easily be a major accident on a bike. And I do not allow my kids on them. Seen too many deaths and injured people. Even the guys who think they are expert riders, which 90% are not even close, are at the mercy of the other driver. Motorcycle V car = a trip to the hospital if the motorcyclist is lucky.

A lot of my friends have Harleys. I tell them they should not be allowed on the road. I can always see the oil trail they leave behind on the roadway. Not to mention all the nuts and bolts that rattle off of them! :lolol:

Motorcycles are way too dangerous in my opinion. A minor accident in a vehicle can easily be a major accident on a bike. And I do not allow my kids on them. Seen too many deaths and injured people. Even the guys who think they are expert riders, which 90% are not even close, are at the mercy of the other driver. Motorcycle V car = a trip to the hospital if the motorcyclist is lucky.

A lot of my friends have Harleys. I tell them they should not be allowed on the road. I can always see the oil trail they leave behind on the roadway. Not to mention all the nuts and bolts that rattle off of them! :lolol:

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing."

-Herger the Joyous

Edited by Ronswin

Wipe my oil off yer face, and put the pacifier back in yer pie hole.

oddpix036.jpg

WJ, we sold 3 in the past 2 month's. We have a 2010 BB 6spd SS on the lot now. I put the stripe kit on it last week. Getting the ground effects kit on it now. Orange and black. Sweet ride! Send me a pm if you want some info on it.

I think the Hemi would take the SS tho........

My determination is based on observation...reality. Too many idiots on the road.

And Herger the Joyous never saw a motorcycle because he never existed. Big difference between fiction and reality! I heard the book and the movie both sucked.

Motorcycles are fun and I used ride on country and trails. I sold my last dirt bike 3 years ago. I just made the personal choice not to ride in town or on highways anymore. I do not have enough fingers and toes to count how many of my friends have been injured or killed on motorcycles. And I'm not insulting anyone who chooses to ride them in town. Like I said earlier...they are fun. Two years ago I was paying for a burger and fries at the Vincennes Hardees drive-up window when two young guys pulling up behind me and the drivers foot slipped off the brake pedal and hit the accelerator when he was trying to pull his money out of his front pocket. He accelerated for about 20 feet and knocked my forward about 12 feet. If I had been on a motorcycle...who knows what might have happened to me? :ph34r:

Challenger - Chrysler hasen't made a good car in years and the warranty would be suspect... Go Fiat.... :booo:

Camero - Government Motors Hummmmmm I think not..... Go Renault.... :nonono:

Mustang GT500, or is there not a new Shelby, or a Roush Mustang Now we are talking...... :exciting::victory::red_heart:

I've been a diehard GM fan for years, not because I was picking sides, just because they are well-built and reliable. However, with Obama the Fucktard running GM now I don't want a shitty vehicle that dispenses welfare checks everytime you push the brakes. Of the choices given I would have to opt for the Mustang, I've been missing my '92 GT ragtop with the X motor and all the bells and whistles.

To me all of them look too skinny and tall, it's especially noticeable from the rear. with certain mods the can be made to look better, but it sucks that they didn't get it right to begin with. The new body style mustang is old news and really wasn't that cool to me when it was just released. It would be a tie between the Challenger and Camaro for me. I would test drive them both before I purchased and decide after that. I like the idea of a new Challenger more than the idea of a new Camaro, but the Challenger just looks so damn tall from the rear. The GM bailout sucks, but on a large purchase like a car, I wouldn't pick a car I like less as a result.

I know the OP isn't asking about bikes, but I have to say Aprilia RSV or Tuono>BMW HP2. That said, I'm getting a Buell XB12 shortly for my first bike.

The newest issue of Mopar Action has a couple of convertibles on the cover. You can get a NEW turnkey Challenger OR 'Cuda based on any 08 Challenger on up made into a droptop by none other than Mr. Norms. They look very, very sweet, and are made by the same company that was origanally slated to do the Chrysler OEM conversions. If you get them with all the bells and whistles, expect to spend a couple of dollars, but they WAY outclass the Camaro droptops. (725 HP avail.) I had a 68 Plymouth Sport Satelite convertable at one time (think 68 roadrunner) and I sure wish to hell I would have kept it, 383 4 bbl and power disk and all.

I love the challenger, but ask a police mechanic how he feels about the dodge platform compared to ford (not nearly as dependable). The mustang however is not as fast, they never have been short of a specialty such as Saleen. My personal choice is the Camaro. The Camaro is on a dependable platform, fast as hell & it seems to be what YOU want. You only live once. As for the politics, the only reason ford isnt government owned is that they were bailed out with huge loans by bush, so they may still become government after all. Also you gotta show the government that COOL CARS SELL. Otherwise they will kill off the Camero. Also guys, if there are ANY companys that our country MUST bail out, it is the auto industry, THEY ARE A PART OF OUR NATIONAL DEFENSE WARTIME PRODUCTION CAPABILITIES!! Remember WWII? In an emergency the tooling can be converted to produce military vehicles. Also if the auto industry was let to fail, it would look pretty weird w/ nascar racing Hondas & Hyundais. I used to like European cars but in this economy I drive a Towncar because I want to have credibility when I say "buy American your country needs you now".

I've had way fewer problems with my pursuit Chargers and Magnums than with my P71s!

While I wanted to buy a new Hemi Challenger I gave in to the wife and bought the Camaro instead. However, I did vote my heart on this poll and cast it for the Dodge Challenger. Because that is what I wanted to buy. And I stated I liked all all of the three vehicles mentioned in the poll because thats the truth.

Well god must have rewarded me today for being honest and not badmouthing the other vehicles out of pettiness. I was at Westport Chrysler Dodge today located in Westport, Illinois when a friend of mine pulled in with his new car. It was a Dodge SRT8 Challenger with the 6.1 Hemi that had been sent to SpeedFactory for additional modifications. This Challenger can be seen and read about at WWW.speedfactorycars.com! It is owned by Doug Auberry. Doug is from Vincennes, Indiana. Westport Illinois is located right across the Lincoln Memorial Bridge which connects it with downtown Vincennes. I jumped in and he took me for a ride. Speedfactory added a supercharger along with several modifications to the vehicle's suspension. Speedfactory made several other modifications too laborious to mention. The car was very quick. Once the supercharger started pulling it just seemed to keep pushing me back harder into the seat during acceleration. It was a very smooth powerful acceleration. And the car had no bounce or funny movement or quirks as we accelerated to 155mph in a very short amout of time. It was a very straight acceleration. Hard to describe but with the tens of thousands he spent for the Speedfactory modifications I would have expected no less. Loved the experience. Doug is a disabled Gulf War veteran and a class 3 firearms dealer. He said he is also a explosives dealer...whatever that is...I think he mentioned class 20? I'm not familar with these classifications. Pictures of his Speedfactory modified SRT8 Hemi Challenger are posted below. Doug has since added new black rims and much wider tires. Looks much better now IMHO!

post-14788-1250728143_thumb.jpg

post-14788-1250728153_thumb.jpg

post-14788-1250728176_thumb.jpg

Dammit, I had a nice reply to something and got all blown out of the water with the pics of The Chally t165! Just remember - this was BEFORE the fiat/fiasco. Oh, now I recall In the current issue of Mopar Action they mention in a large several page spread of Chryslers involvement in interballastics and rockets. I had no idea. They claim that our manned moon flight would bnot have have been possible without Chrysler engineers and seem to have the back up info to prove it. I have an Uncle that worked with Boeing Aerospace that helped put the first chimp up in the air. According to these Chrysler articles, they were instrumental on this as well. I hope that we haven't lost all ingenuity and manufacturing capabilities that led us to be the superpower that we are. We have been quickly declining in this area for years. The magazine article is excellent, one of the best I've ever read. Chrysler was truly far ahead of their time, not just in tghe automotive industry. They gave us very many firsts, including the first 200 MPH car. GM people can say all they want, but the scrappy engineers at Chrysler have out performed them and out classed them in every way possible, except sales.

Here is an article comparing all three.

The standard 370Z beats all the cars you mentioned in braking, handling, 1/4, skidpad, etc... but it is a 2 seater car and a V6... :killer:

Not according to Motor trend. Here are the specs for the 370Z, compare it to the last page from the link above. It does pull slightly better skid pad numbers, but loses in the other categories you listed. Also, to be fair, the the 370Z is a sports car and should handle better.

Get the aqua blue 2SS w/ the 6 speed and never look back!!!!! You only live once, and quite frankly your Honor, you have earned it!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, if you are too old for a manual trans get a Cadillac or something.

I'm retracting my vote for the Challenger and changing it to the new Cobra Mustang. I saw one the other day that was so awesome I almost forgot where I was going....lol.

Plus, since t165 likes the challenger I can't possibly vote for that one! :haha:

Honestly dude...I don't even remember WTF our little disagreement was about...and don't care to, so save me the drama... :rolleyes:

You would still be welcome on my range if you came with my buddy WJ. There are only a few regular jerks on this forum who I hold grudges against...and that's because they insist on constantly antagonizing me... :killer:

Back on topic though...I've been a die hard Ford man since I bought my first Cobra II Mustang (of three). I was really impressed when they finally got back to basics in '05 with the new body style. Those babies are sweet! I also like how the other companies are trying to replicate the old school hot rods, and have done a pretty damn good job blending the old body lines and subtle touches, with newer technology. After so many F'kin years of "suppository" cars...like my bro in law calls them, it's refreshing to see these new rods on the road. It was nice being married to someone who's brother collected performance cars for so long. (too bad that package came with other problems... :rolleyes: ) I used to get to drive his '96 RT-10 Viper, the Ford Lightning, Chevy Cyclone, NSX, Porche 911s, hell the list goes on... Got to ride shotgun in the Autocross races in the Viper...oh wow....lol...the good times! It sucks that I never got to even see the Ford GT he has now. I always hoped he would buy an AC Cobra so I could just melt into it! Well...after nobama....the poor guy found out the hard way that investing in all those kickass cars and trucks wasn't the best thing he could have done with his extra money. Now he's stuck with them while the family business is suffering like hell. They build trucks and are a Ford hub for them. I hope they make it through these tough times. This past year the bank refused to roll over their loan for trucks, for the first time since the early 20's when their Grandfather started the business, building truck bodies out of wood!

Oh well...sorry to ramble....at least they aren't eating the same gubment cheeze the other companies are...

Go FORD!!! Here's mine...

post-1293-1250737287_thumb.jpg

My bro in law's Viper in my carport....DAMN I miss that car! :cryss:

post-1293-1250738007_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1250738096_thumb.jpg

If I had the money to afford a brand new Mustang though... I would still opt for an old Shelby. Pure balls and no fancy computer crap that I can't work on.

If I wanted a Blue Camaro (and could afford it) there would only be one choice for me....

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0509-79398

This is a foolish question......... If you are a car guy you don't care! On that note the only cars I would buy is the SRT Challenger or 2010 Shelby GT500. I like the looks of the challenger better. However it being a chrysler product will need to have a few spare tranys in the wait! I am just not feeling the camaro.

When you pop the hood on all three of these the choice becomes clear...

DSCF1195.jpg

The new camaro...

Wheres the engine? under a cheap piece of plastic. maybe theres a reason they don't want you to see it? Or be able to work on it yourself?

112_0903_28z%202010_american_muscle_car_comparison%20dodge_challenger_engine.jpg

New challenger? same deal. Plastic bullshit over the real deal.

ag_07gt500_engine.jpg

Look at that! those are the accual valve covers your looking at! thats a supercharger on top! You might have to learn a thing or 2 along the way(sound familiar?) but this is a engine that ford wasn't so ashamed of that they needed to hide it, and they left it out there in the open for you to be able to work on...

muscle cars are meant for blue collar guys to be able to wrench on. i wouldn't even know where to start on the first 2 with a tune up. the mustang however i would be comfortable changing out injectors, a intake, a underdrive/overdrive pulley, a exhaust, a new MAF... ect...

stock sucks... why let them tell you what to have?

Get the real pony car. Get the Mustang.

Holy fuck, you just said that Chevy is embarrassed about the LS because they covered it in plastic. It's the best engine ever made. Fucking ever, by anyone. The reason they covered it in plastic is because it's a 4000 pound car aimed at the people that buy 4000 pound cars.

I vote Camaro, but holy crap have pony cars turned into boats. They're all Nimitz class.

Story time: I met a guy with a new mustang, whatever the SVT Cobra model is of this generation. He was like, "Yeah, there's nothing out there really that's faster." And I corrected him and said, "Except for the GT model of the last generation." Because they get 500 horse into a car that weighs more than the moon and it's as fast as an elephant swimming with a trolling motor glued to it.

Edited by Twinsen
When you pop the hood on all three of these the choice becomes clear...

DSCF1195.jpg

The new camaro...

Wheres the engine? under a cheap piece of plastic. maybe theres a reason they don't want you to see it? Or be able to work on it yourself?

112_0903_28z%202010_american_muscle_car_comparison%20dodge_challenger_engine.jpg

New challenger? same deal. Plastic bullshit over the real deal.

ag_07gt500_engine.jpg

Look at that! those are the accual valve covers your looking at! thats a supercharger on top! You might have to learn a thing or 2 along the way(sound familiar?) but this is a engine that ford wasn't so ashamed of that they needed to hide it, and they left it out there in the open for you to be able to work on...

muscle cars are meant for blue collar guys to be able to wrench on. i wouldn't even know where to start on the first 2 with a tune up. the mustang however i would be comfortable changing out injectors, a intake, a underdrive/overdrive pulley, a exhaust, a new MAF... ect...

stock sucks... why let them tell you what to have?

Get the real pony car. Get the Mustang.

Holy fuck, you just said that Chevy is embarrassed about the LS because they covered it in plastic. It's the best engine ever made. Fucking ever, by anyone. The reason they covered it in plastic is because it's a 4000 pound car aimed at the people that buy 4000 pound cars.

I vote Camaro, but holy crap have pony cars turned into boats. They're all Nimitz class.

Story time: I met a guy with a new mustang, whatever the SVT Cobra model is of this generation. He was like, "Yeah, there's nothing out there really that's faster." And I corrected him and said, "Except for the GT model of the last generation." Because they get 500 horse into a car that weighs more than the moon and it's as fast as an elephant swimming with a trolling motor glued to it.

Twinsen, you forgot to mention... If A person can't even figure out how to remove plastic dust covers, :lolol: He really shouldn't be working on automobiles.. :smoke:

Edit: Is ford still using PLASTIC intake manifolds like on my 4.6L?

Edited by Paulyski

Twinsen, you forgot to mention... If A person can't even figure out how to remove plastic dust covers, :lolol: He really shouldn't be working on automobiles.. :smoke:

Edit: Is ford still using PLASTIC intake manifolds like on my 4.6L?

LOL! True!

Yea, all the big 3 are useing plastic now.

But enough crap. Zo6 spank's em all! ...........Well, maybee except the SRT10?..........I have'nt driven a SRT10 yet.??????? But I will!!! BWaaaahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Production ford's just arent there.

cellphonejunk063.jpg

cellphonejunk065.jpg

Corvettes will own them all, but that's comparing apples to oranges.I would be tron between the Camaro or Challenger. I'm starting to realize that I like the look of the Challenger more but it is 500 pounds heavier than the Mustang, partially because they are using an IRON BLOCK. That's a disappointment, to me. The Chevy is the best performer and uses a sleeved alloy block but doesn't look as nice. It's a compromise in the looks department, but that would be my choice.