reference-database-hotlink.jpg

Hotlinking is bad.

Please host your images at ImageShack, or XS Image Hosting or BayImg or photobucket.

Hotlinking isn't a problem until someone you've hotlinked to exchanges that hot car/hot woman/hot gun picture with a goatse or other seriously undesireable image . . .

As far as the cars, I say skip all of 'em.

There isn't an ounce of creativity left in this country, what with everybody digging up the past and remaking it as "new NEW NEW"

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man....for that kind of money you could get "THE American Sports Car", a nicely restored C-3 Corvette.

I'm currently doing a frame off restoration on my 71.

Yours is a nice steel bumbered version. Check the nose on any non steel bumpered vette and theres cracking. Its unavoiable on the fiberglass bodies. Don't take that wrong, I love C-3 vettes and your years is one of the better, but they arn't for everyone. Between the fiberglass to deal with and the cramped drivers compartment they have down sides.

Man....for that kind of money you could get "THE American Sports Car", a nicely restored C-3 Corvette.

Yours is a nice steel bumbered version. Check the nose on any non steel bumpered vette and theres cracking. Its unavoiable on the fiberglass bodies. Don't take that wrong, I love C-3 vettes and your years is one of the better, but they arn't for everyone. Between the fiberglass to deal with and the cramped drivers compartment they have down sides.

I wouldn't have one of those "non-bumper" Vett's, never liked the way they look. I do like the new Mopar's, jerks my neck every time I see one :wub:

I would go with the Camaro or the Challenger. I just sold my 1999 Pontiac Trans-Am and really regret it! : (

However, I think my next hotrod with be a turbo-something. Either that or a Triumph Rocket 3. : D

My Life Goal right now is to save up for a Triumph Rocket III Classic

I had a Trans Am ('81) and two new 5.0 Mustangs ('87 & '90) and liked them all.

Even though I liked the Mustangs, I think I'd go another direction for a new muscle

car (if I had the bucks). I've had GM & Ford muscle cars, I guess next would be Dodge.

I voted Challenger...... probably a better look for an old guy trolling for younger women

than a Camaro anyway....... for me I meant, not you WJ. :)

I actually like all of them. If I were have the final say I would have bought a Hemi Challenger. But the wife had to step in and voice her opinion. I hear the Mustang is coming out with a new 5.0 next year to up performance. The SS Camaro is the 1/4 performance leader right now but that can all change next year. As I said before...I love them all. You cannot lose whatever you pick. When the kids are grown a tricked out Corvette will be sitting in my garage. My son is 15 and just got his beginners. The Camaro will be his in a year or two. Right now he has a 2001 Buick Regal sitting in the driveway to learn in.

post-14788-1250407623_thumb.jpg

post-14788-1250407653_thumb.jpg

Edited by t165
I actually like all of them. If I were have the final say I would have bought a Hemi Challenger. But the wife had to step in and voice her opinion. I hear the Mustang is coming out with a new 5.0 next year to up performance. The SS Camaro is the 1/4 performance leader right now but that can all change next year. As I said before...I love them all. You cannot lose whatever you pick. When the kids are grown a tricked out Corvette will be sitting in my garage. My son is 15 and just got his beginners. The Camaro will be his in a year or two. Right now he has a 2001 Buick Regal sitting in the driveway to learn in.

Nice Camaro!

What state do you live in? Have you asked your insurance company what it will cost to insure the Camaro when your son gets his full license?

When my daughter got her permit, then hit a concrete wall (It's a long story), our insurance more than doubled. They also told us that when she gets her full license (which will happen in the next month or so), it will go up another 50%. So, I am a bit hesitant to ask what a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger will do to the rates. On the other hand, the premium is going to jump either way, so maybe a sur-charge for a muscle car won't make too much of a difference.

WJ

I forgot to add that service/repair costs are one of the reasons why I am ready to get rid of the Mercedes. I simply don't like it enough to justify the $129.00 oil changes, tranny service at 37,000 miles, to the tune of $400.00; Class "A," "B," and "C" services that cost two arms and two legs for stuff that does not seem necessary. As it is still under warranty, I feel obligated to keep it serviced by the dealer, and their rates are ridiculous.

WJ

WarriorJudge...I live in Vincennes, Indiana. My family has been in the car business since the 40's. And your Mercedes is sweet. It's simply a better engineered vehicle than domestic products IMHO. And the cost of maintenance is not only extreme but approved qualified service is only available in large municipalities. Distinction has it's price. My brother-in-law had a Ferrari. Cincinnati was the closest repair/maintenance service location available for him. It was about a 4 hour drive one way. He traded the Ferrari for a Dodge Viper. The Camaro is in my wife's name. I think she said it was about $500.00 every six months. I would have to sell a kidney to let my newly licensed son drive this vehicle with the registration/insurance exclusively in his name. The Automobile Dealership's insurance is in my name and I make sure to leave all personal vehicular insurance out of my personal name. It's a money/rate thing.

I'm an ex-LEO and when I wrote a simple traffic citation for an infraction, or if the youth was found at fault for a traffic accident, the parents would always either contest the facts or enter into deferred prosecution. I could not blame them. A simple traffic citation would raise insurance rates on young people 100% to 300%. A second traffic citation, or at fault accident, would require the selling of a body part to pay the adjusted insurance premium. It's all about the almighty dollar! I want my children to have nice things and am glad I can provide for them...but it comes with much in the way of collateral damage! Of course we will have to notify our insurance provider when he actually starts driving the Camaro...I just hope I can live a full and fruitful life with one kidney! :rolleyes:

BTW...I'll be in North Carolina next month. What part of the state are you located? I'll be in Greensboro for a week. The wife is a Treasury Agent and the Area Director lives there. Her boss does not like to travel and she schedules many meetings/training sessions there. You would be more than welcome to drive it and see if you like the car before you buy. The roof is chopped and really does not offer much visibility. It does concern me with my son. I remember well when I was young.

Edited by t165

I may be being a bit cheap, but I told my daughter that she has to pay half of the increase to our premiums when she gets her full license. As I am covering the remainder of the increase and buying her a new car in January, and I am trying to teach her a lesson about the value of money and that almost every choice we make in life has a cost, I think this is fair. She started working at the local grocery store, as a bagger/cashier, two weeks ago. She is saving for her upcoming insurance bill - it is kind of cute to watch this step on her path to adulthood.

She got her first check Friday - $83.00!

WJ

WarriorJudge...I live in Vincennes, Indiana. My family has been in the car business since the 40's. And your Mercedes is sweet. It's simply a better engineered vehicle than domestic products IMHO. And the cost of maintenance is not only extreme but approved qualified service is only available in large municipalities. Distinction has it's price. My brother-in-law had a Ferrari. Cincinnati was the closest repair/maintenance service location available for him. It was about a 4 hour drive one way. He traded the Ferrari for a Dodge Viper. The Camaro is in my wife's name. I think she said it was about $500.00 every six months. I would have to sell a kidney to let my newly licensed son drive this vehicle with the registration/insurance exclusively in his name. The Automobile Dealership's insurance is in my name and I make sure to leave all personal vehicular insurance out of my personal name. It's a money/rate thing.

I'm an ex-LEO and when I wrote a simple traffic citation for an infraction, or if the youth was found at fault for a traffic accident, the parents would always either contest the facts or enter into deferred prosecution. I could not blame them. A simple traffic citation would raise insurance rates on young people 100% to 300%. A second traffic citation, or at fault accident, would require the selling of a body part to pay the adjusted insurance premium. It's all about the almighty dollar! I want my children to have nice things and am glad I can provide for them...but it comes with much in the way of collateral damage! Of course we will have to notify our insurance provider when he actually starts driving the Camaro...I just hope I can live a full and fruitful life with one kidney! :rolleyes:

BTW...I'll be in North Carolina next month. What part of the state are you located? I'll be in Greensboro for a week. The wife is a Treasury Agent and the Area Director lives there. Her boss does not like to travel and she schedules many meetings/training sessions there. You would be more than welcome to drive it and see if you like the car before you buy. The roof is chopped and really does not offer much visibility. It does concern me with my son. I remember well when I was young.

We live in Wake Forest. Not too far from Greensboro. You should bring a couple of guns and maybe we could get Cobra to "invite" us to his place to do some shooting. I'd enjoy meeting you. I wish I had a place to shoot, but I live in the 'burbs, and I think my neighbors would freak out if they saw an S-12 up close and personal.

WJ

We will be arriving on the 23rd. I stayed at the Residence Inn last time. The back of the business bordered a highway IIRC. There was a great "greasy spoon" hamburger joint I remember eating at not far away. I do not remember the name of the place but I know how to get back there. Yum!

As far as Cobra and shooting guns. I do not think he cares for me much...I could be the one getting shot! :unsure: Us guys and testosterone! I'm not sure where I'll be staying at this moment. Some glitch in the plans about guaranteed secure conference room. I certainly seen nothing secure about the Residence Inn the last time I was there. I'll take my laptop and keep in touch.

Edited by t165

My Pop is grabbing a new grabber orange or blue Camaro 1SS around X-mas time...They are very nice looking cars, with a nice interior and a great drivetrain...The brakes are huge and the suspension is not bad either...Out of the 3, and I am a diehard ford guy, Go with the camaro...

My eyes are on the Nismo 370 Z as my "back to the good ole days" car...

zcoupe_14_800.jpg

zcoupe_12_1024.jpg

The standard 370Z beats all the cars you mentioned in braking, handling, 1/4, skidpad, etc... but it is a 2 seater car and a V6... :killer:

My first car was a silver 77 280Z so I understand where you are coming from with the aqua blue Camaro WJ... new versions of our old favorites...

So with that said, I vote;

Get the aqua blue 2SS w/ the 6 speed and never look back!!!!! You only live once, and quite frankly your Honor, you have earned it!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by lvjeffro

post-19652-1250431003_thumb.jpgpost-19652-1250430644_thumb.jpg

post-19652-1250431070_thumb.jpgpost-19652-1250431431_thumb.png[attac

hment=34934:Orange_camaro.jpg]

2009 Aqua Blue Camero: Your youth for sale...

:up:

Edit: Oh yeah, & your talking about a muscle car... Trunk size is your determining factor!?! Trust me, put Flowmasters on it so it sounds right, & the wife will love, it!

post-19652-1250431485_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

I have not seen the aqua blue in person yet, but I do like the pictures of it. $34,000.00 is not too much to pay for reliving our youth. Actually, my 1974 Camaro listed at $3,700 or $3,800.00, as I recall, so it is only a ten fold (give or take a bit) price increase in 35 years. lol.

It would have been a lot cheaper if I had just kept the '74.

Right now I'd have to say Challenger, but lets compare apples to apples. Think Challenger RT vs Shelby Mustang vs the IROC Camaro when it comes out next year. I've owned every body style Camaro ever built and generally hate Mopar products, but the RT package is hard to beat. I've only got to look at one new Shelby but the Mustang body's been oout so long it's lost it's luster to me. Bone stock Camaro's look like shit, the IROC on the other hand.........good things come to those who wait :devil:

I have not seen the aqua blue in person yet, but I do like the pictures of it. $34,000.00 is not too much to pay for reliving our youth. Actually, my 1974 Camaro listed at $3,700 or $3,800.00, as I recall, so it is only a ten fold (give or take a bit) price increase in 35 years. lol.

It would have been a lot cheaper if I had just kept the '74.

The nostalgia of your youth will be re-lived much better in a brand new technalogicly superior comfortable muscle car that handles like its on rails than an older project car which can be labor intensive & frusterating if you are not inclined to spend your weekends tinkering on mechanical aspects of your car. That being said, I do all my own work. Not because I want to but because I'm cheap & I know how.

Also my Dad lets me drive sometimes when auto-crossing his Jag 2004 xk8 & built 88 Vet. The newer cars with their anti-lock brakes, tuned suspension, & traction control blow the doors off the classic cars. The old ones just look cool because their tires are spinning & they make a lot of noise. But their track time suffers.

My folks trust the Jag enough to take it across the U.S.. The vet is faster & can take .89 G-force to the side cornering, but they're constantly fixing it due to age. (My pops had 2 mid-life events, one for a 67 vet he almost had, then a decade later 1 for an XKE that a friend let him borrow) :up:

Also the fastest Camaros are almost up there with the newer mid-level Corvettes in terms of speed. :D

Edited by Paulyski

Sorry Judge, can't help you much here. I have 3 sons and I've told them since they were young that they could have any car in the world they wanted......since they were going to pay for it! Both my older boys started out with used Honda Civics and have went through many vehicles since. My first car was a Chevy Nova. Total piece of shit but it got me where I needed to go. I was a '74 that I got in '82 for graduation. Baby shit yellow 4 door. For me, getting around in a crap car was better than not getting anywhere. :)

WJ, I also had a "74 camaro". If she really needs a fast car, buy her some "old muscle", and maybe you can teach her alittle about cars instead of all her knowing is the engine is under the hood? Yeah, air bags save lives, but think how many lives would also be saved if the cars were still made of steel? I never felt safer than sitting behind the wheel of my camaro. Yeah, making her pay half of insurance is a good idea it will give her some responsibilty.

This is a pic back in 1993, one of my graduation pictures. Oh yeah, tight rolled jeans!!!!

post-17599-1250441799_thumb.jpg

i voted camero. i'm in the auto transport biz and have driven all 3. the hemi challenger would be my second choice. i just brought an 09 mustang gt up from atlanta in a load this weekend to peoria, they're nice but don't have as much balls and are much more common. as far as bikes go get an 1800 VTX :)

Edited by Snoofer

I had a 73 Stingray Corvette, it had the fiberglass front and the metal rear bumper. Transition year. Damn I miss that car. It was the best car I ever had. Ahhh, the good times :rolleyes:

Nice Camaro!

What state do you live in? Have you asked your insurance company what it will cost to insure the Camaro when your son gets his full license?

When my daughter got her permit, then hit a concrete wall (It's a long story), our insurance more than doubled. They also told us that when she gets her full license (which will happen in the next month or so), it will go up another 50%. So, I am a bit hesitant to ask what a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger will do to the rates. On the other hand, the premium is going to jump either way, so maybe a sur-charge for a muscle car won't make too much of a difference.

WJ

Insurance is something to definately consider. In 1987 I bought a brand new Buick Grand National. (yeah I went to the dark side) The car payments were $250 a month. I was 24 at the time, and it took me about 15 ins. companies before I could even find one that would insure me, and that was with a perfect driving history. I finally got insurance for $250 a month also. That was a shitpot of money back in '87, when I only made about $17.000 a year. I ate beans and raman noodles! lol. At the time, the Buick made more horsepower than the Corvette and was the quickest production car made. It is kinda slow by todays standards, but would be a very nice looking still fast car to have. I could get a second gear scratch with an auotmatic all day long, and it still got 25+ MPG if you kept your foot out of it! Plus, it would be something that is not a cookie cutter car out there nowadays. The Buick Regal and the Cutlass Supreme were the top 2 stolen cars in Houston at the time, and my now ex drove a Cutlass. The Buick was nice, but it wasn't a MOPAR.

That is funny you should mention Buick. Of all the different muscle cars which went through the family business over the last several decades my father took a 1970 455 Stage #1 Buick in on trade. This was around 1978 or 79. My father said it was the fastest car he had ever driven. My Uncle, who was a co-owner, bought all the old muscle cars he could at the southern Indiana auctions. I remember the business having big block Vettes, Chevelles, Camaros. Olds 442s and GTOs. Mopars out the ass, along with Mustangs, A yellow 429 Super Cobra Jet Torino which was a particular monster. But my father would not let me buy that Stage #1 Buick. After school I really enjoyed washing and cleaning the hot rods. By the mid 80's they had pretty much dried up and the prices went through the roof. The new muscle is neat but I much perfer the roar and noise of glasspacks and screaming, smoking tires when you mashed the pedal and all hell broke loose.

That is funny you should mention Buick. Of all the different muscle cars which went through the family business over the last several decades my father took a 1970 455 Stage #1 Buick in on trade. This was around 1978 or 79. My father said it was the fastest car he had ever driven. My Uncle, who was a co-owner, bought all the old muscle cars he could at the southern Indiana auctions. I remember the business having big block Vettes, Chevelles, Camaros. Olds 442s and GTOs. Mopars out the ass, along with Mustangs, A yellow 429 Super Cobra Jet Torino which was a particular monster. But my father would not let me buy that Stage #1 Buick. After school I really enjoyed washing and cleaning the hot rods. By the mid 80's they had pretty much dried up and the prices went through the roof. The new muscle is neat but I much perfer the roar and noise of glasspacks and screaming, smoking tires when you mashed the pedal and all hell broke loose.

This thread is bringing back memories. One summer while in College I worked at an Oldsmobile and Datsun (Datsun, before they changed it to Nissan) dealer. I was the "wash boy." I washed and prepped cars. I got to drive Datsun 260Zs, but I really loved the Hurst Olds 442. It was the first car, as I recall, with a digital tachometer and it looks sharp and hauled balls - I really liked the black with gold stripes and trim.

Oh, the good old days!