Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

Sounds almost like the glock guys dissing our S-12 a classic case of mine is better. The 870 is a great shotgun and I have one that has been totally reliable. Is it better than a Mossberg 590? I don't think there is a clear answer to that question. I can tell you that from my research the 590 was the only shotgun to pass the militarys 3000 round torture test. It wasn't because it was the cheapest gun. The military learned long ago if you by cheap you end up spending lots of money on parts and repairs.It was adopted by the military in 1986 and is still in service today although the Berretta took over much of its role is 1999. The Navy bought serveral thousand 590s in 2004 and the Army purchased over 14,000 in 2005. In 2008 the NYPD with a 36,000 member force adopted the 590 as there officail shotgun they also tested shotguns for over 2 years and used some of the same tests as the military. I don't own a 590 but do have the Mossberg 930 Spx and love it but not quite as much as my S-12. The bottom line is both are great shotguns and you can't go wrong with either one. Try both out and see which one fits you best and which safety you like. I'm left handed and like the Mossberg safety better. I'd bet my life on either one!

my favorite is the winchester model 1897 which you can keep the trigger pulled in and it fires every time you pump SLAMFIRE! The United States military used a short-barreled version known variously as the "trench" or "riot" shotgun. It was developed into a version issued to U.S. troops during World War I, which was modified by adding a perforated steel heat shield over the barrel, and an adapter with bayonet lug for affixing a M1917 bayonet.

Unlike most modern pump-action shotguns, the Winchester Model 1897 (versions of which were type classified as the Model 97 or M97 for short) fired each time the action closed with the trigger depressed (that is, it lacks a trigger disconnector and is capable of slamfire). That and its six-shot capacity made it extremely effective for close combat, such that troops referred to it as a "trench sweeper". It was so devastating, and feared, that the German government protested (in vain) to have it outlawed in combat.[1] The M97 was used in limited numbers during World War II by the United States Army and Marine Corps, although it was largely superseded by the militarized version of the hammerless Model 1912.

my favorite is the winchester model 1897 which you can keep the trigger pulled in and it fires every time you pump SLAMFIRE! ...

Early Ithaca Derrslayers did the same thing... as did the Daisy Pump BB gun!

• Like 1

I have a 500 and love it. I carried an 870 as a cop and loved it too. The 870 had rifle sights and was just as accurate as my 500 at 25 yds shooting slugs. If I found an 870 for a good price I would get one. I have fired over 2000 rounds through the 500 and it has never failed.

Personally, the Mossberg 500 series is a Remington 870 without the "finger catcher". Otherwise, I prefer the 590 over the 500 due to the sturdier construction. And going beyond the Mossberg/Remington argument, the Ithaca Model 37 is nice that either a "righty" or "lefty" can properly function the gun with minimal effort.

In a pinch, any of the three will do just nicely. Just practice at your local range so you know the limitations of each.

I've always had an 870. My personal 870 is an older one that I would absolutely depend on. IMO the 870 and the 500 are both solid platforms. But, I noticed the newer Remington rifles and shotty's slipping a bit. The time tested Rem 700 rifles started having issues dropping the hammer while on safe if the trigger was tuned low. I've had similar complaints on the 710 platform. The last few 870's I've seen have been a little dissapointing. The fit and finish of the 870's isn't what it used to be. They come with great accessories and have tons of 3rd party oprions, but the finish looks like a bad krylon job. I'm sure, or at least hope they function as well as the older models (haven't fired one of the newer models), but have the look and feel of a cheaper import. I've gotten several 500's in various configurations and they seem more consistant at least in the fit and finish catagory. In all fairness, I haven't fired the new 500's either, but again, I beleive they are both solid functional weapons. Just my 2 cents.

I currently use a scattergun tech. 870 with a ghost ring/trintium sight set up, ultra thick parkerizing, metal high viz follower, and oversized saftey. It's amazing. I've put several thousand rounds through it without a glitch. I would recommend one to anyone who can afford one.

You won't go wrong with either gun, you just need to train with it. But while we're debating the 500 vs 870 let's have one about;

9mm vs 45ACP

Pistol vs Revolver

Coke vs Pepsi

Blonde vs Brunette vs Red Head (A threesome!)

and let's not forget the most important! AR vs AK

Good idea... we can do the This vs That but with a hot waitress posing on a cop's car, and tie some of these threads together. What would get the trooper in more trouble?

- Waitress on cruiser with a 9mm or a .45?

- with a Pepsi or a Coke?

- with an AR or an AK?

Remington 870 Vs. Mossberg 500

Mossberg

On some models of the Mossberg 500 the barrel band extends over top of the magazine tube prohibiting installation of a magazine extension.

The Mossberg shell lifter, stays in the up position during the loading process. Many feel that this is an advantage.

The Mossberg 500 has two extractors.

The Mossberg has a piece of plastic for the safety that slides forward to fire. This has and does break under rough usage. The safety of the Mossberg is ambidextrous in nature. They are difficult to use for many folks if the gun is equipped with a pistol grip.

The Mossberg slide release is on the rear of the trigger guard, to the right.

The trigger guard of most Mossbergs, like the safety, is plastic and is prone to breakage.

The receiver of the Mossberg 500 is aluminum.

The Mossberg 535 does not accept interchangeable barrels. The 590 and 505 do. You are limited to using barrels that were designed for your guns factory magazine tube length. Barrels designed for 6 shot tube magazine will not fit on a 4 shot tube gun and vice-a-versa.

Mossbergs are comparatively poorly finished, inside and out.

Most will find that the action of the Mossberg to be on the rough side, its trigger pull will usually be heaver.

You can't easily replace the spring and clean the magazine well

The Mossberg is harder to strip down and reassemble. The magazine spring and follower may only be removed by unscrewing the tube from the receiver, this is more difficult on later model guns.

The Mossberg was originally designed in 1961 as a single action bar firearm; they copied the Remington design around 1970.

The barrel of the Mossberg was deemed too lightly constructed by the US Navy and this shortcoming was addressed in the later 590A1.

The Mossberg is cheap.

Remington 870

Later models of the 870 have two dimples that must be Dremeled out if you want to install a magazine extension.

The 870 shell lifter will come down and can pinch your fingers while loading.

The Remington 870 has one large extractor.

The Remington 870 has a steel safety is located on the trigger guard. You use your trigger finger to press to the left to take safety off. This promotes safe weapons handling. The finger does not belong inside the trigger guard until the decision has been made to fire on a target.

The Remington is slide release is on the left side of the receiver intended to be operated with your left hand. The right can stay in the firing position with the firearm remaining shouldered.

The trigger guard of the Remington and the safety are steel.

The receiver of the Remington 870 is steel.

The Remington has interchangeable barrels.

The fit and finish on Remington, except for the Express, will be far superior. The Express will simply be on par.

Most will find that the action of the Remington as well as its trigger pull to be far smoother.

The springs of the Remington are easily replaced

The Remington is easy to strip and reassemble.

Any Remington 870 barrel will interchange within a given gauge.

Remington invented the double action bar in pump shotguns.

The Remington is more expensive and yet holds the record for best-selling shotgun in the history of the world with over 10 million being sold since 1950.

Edited by Azrial

I have the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870. The 870 is a better built shotgun, in a pinch I would take it over the Mossberg 500. BUT......... I do prefer the location of the safety on the Mossberg 500, it is easier for me the check its position and move it off or on with my thumb on the 500 rather than the 870 location using my trigger finger.

Edited by Blam

Someone spoke of Remington standards slipping.

Perhaps but show me a product that is made better today than it was in days of yore.

The much vaunted Mossberg 930 SPX has so many QC problems I recently passed on one.

I like the ghost ring sight but the front sight was canted to one side, to the left on this one.

Brand new never fired it is going to cause someone to need to either send it back or exchange the barrel.

I have also read multiple accounts of people stripping out the front screw on the rail.

Perhaps they should have put a helicoil in the aluminum receiver.

At $600+ dollars it ought to be better than it is.

I have 4 870 shotguns and trust them all.

1 - Marine Magnum

2 - Wingmasters

1 - Express

The 870's have always functioned flawlessly.

Even the express which I loaned to a family member who got it so wet it corroded inside the magazine tube.

Turns out he dropped it and it was totally submerged.

He did not clean out the magazine tube because he was scared to take it apart (wussy)

He did not tell me because he was scared I would make fun of him (wussy).

A year later when I loaned it to a friend to shoot at the range it still functioned flawlessly even though there was rust on the shells when they came out of the magazine tube.

I suppose eventually the spring would have corroded enough to break but it was not even close when I found out about it.

My daddy used to say about the 870 "if it don't work you are not pumping it hard enough".

He also said that 1911s should be made by Colt and shotguns should be made by Remington.

I think he would have really liked the Saiga 12s and might have retired his old 870 in favor of one.

No not really....

He liked the absolute reliability of a 870 pump, he had a really nice 1100 but would always carry the 870 which is probably why the 1100 stayed so nice.

I agree with him, over 40 years later an 870 is still my go to shotgun.

I own a number of others including two Saiga 12's but when the guano hits the oscillating air moving device I will grab an 870.

My 870s don't have fancy lasers, plutonium battery powered holographic sights, or disco balls.

They are just plain work horses I know I can count on.

As for the Army choosing the Mossberg isn't this the same Army that chose new camo uniforms that only work in a gravel pit?

I just read today that special forces wears multi-cam because the issue stuff is so bad.

Aviators say our troops stand out like a sore thumb compared to other countries.

Doesn't the gubberment always go with low bid.

Since when is the cheapest also the best?

You won't go wrong with either gun, you just need to train with it. But while we're debating the 500 vs 870 let's have one about;

9mm vs 45ACP

Pistol vs Revolver

Coke vs Pepsi

You forgot the most important debate of all, FORD VS. CHEVY

9mm vs 45ACP

Pistol vs Revolver

Coke vs Pepsi

hahaha! That is a deadly debate. I could argue for hours and hours on that one. Not that I want to however =-D

I have a real easy solution for you. Buy them both as you can get them for relatively cheap if you look around at some local pawn shops and such. I do have to admit that my 870 is what I carry in the trunk of the patrol car next to the M4 and S12. The 590A1 is kept at the house for one of the home defense guns. Just find the one that you like and practice, practice, practice. If I could only have one pump though, it would be the 870 hands down.

I was a Chevy guy my whole life! Well, until Obama bought them out... My next car is a Mustang. Oh wait!

Camaro -vs- Mustang!

Decisions, decisions.....

All the choices that we have and all the consequences that may result from it.

This is what happens in a "free" country filled with many choices and selection.

Gotta love the freedom! God Bless America!

This is my first post here because I have found this forum accidentally searching for information about Remington 870 :)

I have a Remington 870 Express and I highly recommend it. This was my first shotgun and I didn't have any experience with shotguns/rifles before.

It was very easy to learn how to disassemble, reassemble, clean and install different upgrades and accessories. This shotgun is very simple to use even for a complete newbie.

One of the very important factors is that there are tons of information about Remington 870 on the web.