Not many people who know how to solder this left. It would have to be 'solder brazed'. Since the use of lead in auto body work went the way of the Dodo bird, the skill is no longer something that is taught. NOT like soldering wires or using solder to attach two parts.

Short rivets are a LOT quicker!

I've never brazed a hole in a muffler, but I have brazed small holes in lines and coils (aluminum and copper) and joined fittings via brazing, my standards HVAC braze and plumbing solder, mostly soldering copper fittings. If the hole is too large to fill a cut nail or bolt can be inserted into the hole so the solder or braze can bond two metals...both soldering and brazing are not a way to "fill" material like welding. But if you add that metal in the middle its creating the job conditions that solder or brazing require

What sized rivets would be used? And how would the get installed?

Cut or grind standard AK rivets to make the shank 2X the thickness of the receiver, and set like any other rivet, OR

Drill the shank of the rivet and set the rivet with a ball bearing of the right size (like a mag release rivet).