Barrel length

I know this has been asked before Im just too lazy to search for the post. How can I tell what barrel length I have? Is there a number I can just look at or whats the proper measuring procedure? Would like to cut mine down but I gotta know how much to have cut off.

Barrel length is measured by dropping a rod down the barrel with the bolt in the forward position and the hammer cocked. Measure the distance from the bolt face to the end of the barrel.

this is prob a dumb qeustion as well but why is it you can have a barrel length of 16" on a rifle but have to have 18" on a shot gun?

Rifles and shotguns were originally restricted in 1934 to 18 inch barrels. It was changed to 16" for rifles at a later date.

so is it 18 or 18 1/2 inches? I had a guy tell me yesterday it was 18 1/2 to be legal.

whats the skinny on that law?

also if a saiga is cut down to 18 won't that cause the gun to loose gas preassure and not cycle rounds correctly?

18" is the legal limit. The reason everyone quotes a slightly longer barrel is because there is no difference between 17.9" and 10" to the ATF. A untaxed, unregistered sawed off shotgun is just that... it doesn't matter how close to 18" you are. Just ask Randy Weaver (Ruby Ridge) what can happen.

This is why people say to cut to 18.25 or 18.5". CYA so you don't cut 1/1000th of an inch too short.

Edited by RDSWriter

Ok, y'all seem to know what you're talking about a lot better than I do. What defines a pistol vs. a rifle in terms of barrel length? In other words, how come there can be assault pistols like the Bushmaster Carbon 15 series? Their barrel length is well short of a rifle's, they're high cap, they take rifle-sized rounds, etc. So is this another circumstance where it's just some idiot liberals trying to restrict our guns, or is there a fairly obvious difference and set of rules regarding the pistols vs rifles? Just in case you're not familiar with the pistols:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/carbon15/

Thanks for y'all's expertise.

A pistol stays a pistol if it:

1. does not have too long a barrel

2. does not have a buttstock

3. does not have a handrest/forearm.

Otherwise it becomes a short barrel rifle or "any other weapon".

Micro-Uzis and AR-pistols are pistols. A Mini-Uzi is not a pistol.

A firearm is a pistol if the receiver originally was manufactured as a pistol and has never had a stock attached to the receiver. It can have a shroud or other covering on the barrel portion, but not another PISTOL grip. It can have any barrel length you want. NOTE: There are some Curio and Relics that are exempt and can have stocks.

A pistol with a stock is a rifle. If the barrel length is less than 16" or the overall length is less than 26", then the rifle is a short barreled rifle. An SBR is subject to the NFA.

If a pistol that has a second PISTOL GRIP (not just a shroud) that the non-firing hand can grab, then the pistol is an AOW. Also, if the pisol is disguised (e.g. cane gun, pen gun, iserted into a wallet holster from which it can be fired, used in a briefcase with a remote trigger)... then it is also an AOW. An AOW (any other weapon) is not a pistol by legal definition and is subject to the NFA.

A pistol cannot have a bore of .50 cal or greater. Any pistol with a bore of .50 cal or greater is a Destructive Device and is subject to the NFA. (NOTE: There is a slight difference in wording for rifles. Rifles are only DDs if their bores are greater than .50 cal. 'Sporting' shotguns are exempt from the .50 cal clause.)

NOTE: Some states may have different definitions of what defines a legal pistol. If the states laws are more restrictive than the Federal governments, state law takes precedent in that state.

Edited by RDSWriter