Some advice on conversion work

Some of you may know already but my shotgun had been at the gunsmith since January for a conversion and other work. It was supposed to be finished by June. I get a call in June saying that it is almost done. I send a couple emails and am told it is getting shipped in a couple days. The I get an email that they lost the stock I sent (I am in NY state and require a thumbhole stock). Now I understand people are busy but the gunsmith has already started to take new conversion orders with a 90 day turnaround time. I already prepaid $475 (also included a krebbs sight) which I guess was a bad idea but I thought I was doing them a favor by paying ahead with a money order.

I am at the point now where I just want my shotgun back and will do the conversion myself as I would like to get it runing by this coming fall turkey season. Do you guys think I should ask for my shotgun back and a refund?

Please also if you know the gunsmith please do not mention the name as I do not want to disparage them they have been very polite and nice but I'm just thinking I would be better off taking care of this myself like most other things in life.

Some of you may know already but my shotgun had been at the gunsmith since January for a conversion and other work. It was supposed to be finished by June. I get a call in June saying that it is almost done. I send a couple emails and am told it is getting shipped in a couple days. The I get an email that they lost the stock I sent (I am in NY state and require a thumbhole stock). Now I understand people are busy but the gunsmith has already started to take new conversion orders with a 90 day turnaround time. I already prepaid $475 (also included a krebbs sight) which I guess was a bad idea but I thought I was doing them a favor by paying ahead with a money order.

I am at the point now where I just want my shotgun back and will do the conversion myself as I would like to get it runing by this coming fall turkey season. Do you guys think I should ask for my shotgun back and a refund?

Please also if you know the gunsmith please do not mention the name as I do not want to disparage them they have been very polite and nice but I'm just thinking I would be better off taking care of this myself like most other things in life.

Do the conversion yourself!! It's such a pleasure to look at your own work when it's done. Anyone can do the conversion. I did it, and that fact alone speaks volumnes as to how easy it is. Just take your time and have the

right tools and help (this site) for the job. Your problem is just what was pointed out to me by someone on this

forum when I first got my shotty and wanted to convert. sopmod said you won't have to deal with someone

hundreds or thousands of miles away. Get a refund and do it yourself!! I'm not trying to put gunsmith's down,

sometimes they are very necessary. But for a conversion of the S 12, you can do it yourself

Sounds like it time for another phone call/e-mail to ask where things are. A reputable outfit will let you know what the reasons are for the delay and/or when it will ship.

And yes, most everyone is swamped, but my guess is something else is happening here...which most likely has a completely reasonable explanation. Ask the question and see what response you get.

I can attest to how easy the conversion is to do yourself and it is a good learning experience. If you're inclined to get a refund then consider doing it yourself.

Also you could check with http://www.tac47industries.com/contact_us.php, I don't believe Keith is swamped and he does nice work. He did the folder conversion on my S12, set the front sight, riveted the trigger guard in and welded up the conversion holes along with the magwell installation.

S12MagWell_010.JPG

S12MagWell_003.JPG

Z

Edited by TX-Zen