troubles ejecting new s12

Hi all,

I'm new here, and also a recent newbie with Saiga 12 guages. I've had AK's in the past, and never really had any issues with them, so I thought the saiga 12 was the way to go with shotguns. Here's my dilemma and hopefully someone here can help:

I bought the S12 brand new, brought it home, and immediately had feeding troubles. :unsure: Determined that the shells that I was shooting was the primary issue. Also, noticed that there was a slight issue with ejecting the spent shells. Didn't think too much about it, being that it's new, just figured it needed some "cycling exercise". Anyhow, several weeks gone by, decided to do the conversion, which went off just fine. Took it out this afternoon to run a function test, and now it's not ejecting from the receiver at all. It's drawing the shell out of the pipe, just not tossing the spent shell clear of the mechanism. I brought it in the house, looked it over thoroughly, and other than a bit of a rough spot just before the bolt carrier goes all the way back, I can't see a problem. Kinda sounds like the recoil spring is rough. Manually cycling a shell in it by hand, it'll eject every time. I know, you're probably thinking that I don't have the gas setting right, but I think I do :blush:. Shooting Winchester 2.75"1 1/8 oz 8 shot, and the gas setting is at position 2.

Oh, one other thing just thought about, shortly after I bought the gun, I took the puck out and polished it, put it back. When screwing the adjuster back in, do I need to bottom out, then back up to the right setting, or is there a count of threads needed to get alligned with the gas ports? Please help if you can??!!?? Thanks Guys!

You screw it in all the way and then back it out.

The problem you are describing is most likely FTE or Failure To Eject. There are many ways to fix this problem and a number of steps to doing so.

I suggest you search "FTE" on the forums here. You're sure to find everything you need to know, as this is a common problem.

Hi all,

I'm new here, and also a recent newbie with Saiga 12 guages. I've had AK's in the past, and never really had any issues with them, so I thought the saiga 12 was the way to go with shotguns. Here's my dilemma and hopefully someone here can help:

I bought the S12 brand new, brought it home, and immediately had feeding troubles. :unsure: Determined that the shells that I was shooting was the primary issue. Also, noticed that there was a slight issue with ejecting the spent shells. Didn't think too much about it, being that it's new, just figured it needed some "cycling exercise". Anyhow, several weeks gone by, decided to do the conversion, which went off just fine. Took it out this afternoon to run a function test, and now it's not ejecting from the receiver at all. It's drawing the shell out of the pipe, just not tossing the spent shell clear of the mechanism. I brought it in the house, looked it over thoroughly, and other than a bit of a rough spot just before the bolt carrier goes all the way back, I can't see a problem. Kinda sounds like the recoil spring is rough. Manually cycling a shell in it by hand, it'll eject every time. I know, you're probably thinking that I don't have the gas setting right, but I think I do :blush:. Shooting Winchester 2.75"1 1/8 oz 8 shot, and the gas setting is at position 2.

Oh, one other thing just thought about, shortly after I bought the gun, I took the puck out and polished it, put it back. When screwing the adjuster back in, do I need to bottom out, then back up to the right setting, or is there a count of threads needed to get alligned with the gas ports? Please help if you can??!!?? Thanks Guys!

I am new to this too but may I suggest take it out and get some good ammo. Winchester comes in many forms...from the cheap stuff to the good stuff. Try some high brass, or high velocity shells. Read the box and get something over 1250 feet per second...or slugs and see how it ejects....the cheap stuff should cycle on 2 but the good stuff will cycle on 1. Gun may need some breaking in.

Hi all,

I am new to this too but may I suggest take it out and get some good ammo. Winchester comes in many forms...from the cheap stuff to the good stuff. Try some high brass, or high velocity shells. Read the box and get something over 1250 feet per second...or slugs and see how it ejects....the cheap stuff should cycle on 2 but the good stuff will cycle on 1. Gun may need some breaking in.

Yes, to repeat, you should break the gun in with nothing but high brass on setting 1 to start. If you have FTE problems

still (which you should'nt, but you never know) then go to setting 2. Run at least 100 to 200 rnds thru it to break it in.

These shotguns come from the factory made to run on the higher powered shotshells.

Edited by double

Try holding the butt solid against a tree or post. I had the same problem when I added a pistol grip on my shotgun. I was not holding it secure enough and the gun was moving back as fast as the bolt.

I discovered by problem by pure luck, but someone found it in a trouble shooting guide.

did you check inside the gas tube to see how many ports are there? when i bought mine there was only two and one was partially blocked. i sent it to CGW for warranty and they added another port and now it runs flawlessly. since you've converted it i'm pretty sure the warranty is voided.

i stole this pic from another thread on here.

what to look for...

saiga_gas_port_after_mod.jpg

Edited by Snoofer
did you check inside the gas tube to see how many ports are there? when i bought mine there was only two and one was partially blocked. i sent it to CGW for warranty and they added another port and now it runs flawlessly. since you've converted it i'm pretty sure the warranty is voided.

what to look for...

Saigas have circular holes in the gas block from the factory. That one in the picture has a "D" shaped hole because someone modified it. Just a heads-up.

what to look for...

Saigas have circular holes in the gas block from the factory. That one in the picture has a "D" shaped hole because someone modified it. Just a heads-up.

Just looked at the gas ports, ran a small piece of wire in each, and all are clear through the barrel. I will definitely look into the topic of FTE and get educated. Also going to go get some good shells to break her in. I want to thank all of you who replied and provided insight. Good to know there is still good folks out in the world! Once again guys, thanks!

what to look for...

Just looked at the gas ports, ran a small piece of wire in each, and all are clear through the barrel. I will definitely look into the topic of FTE and get educated. Also going to go get some good shells to break her in. I want to thank all of you who replied and provided insight. Good to know there is still good folks out in the world! Once again guys, thanks!

Alrighty guys, here's the followup. I bought Federal gameshock lead, 2.75" 1 1/4, 4-shot Hi Brass, muzzel velocity 1330 fps. Set the gas at position #1 and it BEGAN to cycle. New problem...it was intermittantly loading a new round, but the hammer wasn't setting. My thoughts are...possibly the bolt carrier was clearing just barely enough to load the shell, but not quite enough to set the hammer? This happened twice in a 10 rd mag. I can say though, the end of the mag (last 2 shells) cycled properly. Do ya'll think that I need to get the King puck and gas fixer? Please advise & thanks.

Alright guys, I'll do that, but isn't this shell going to hammer the hell out of my trunnion in setting 2? Where should I draw the line on break-in? Is there a better shell to use, or is this load good? Thanks for the patience guys! I promise, I'll get it sooner or later!!