Oh man... If I don't participate(because I'm a gun noob) I will 100% still be there to watch.

This will probably be one of the most n00b friendly matches you could possibly shoot. The hardest part about shotgun matches is loading your gun.

People never think they are ready enough to shoot a match, just do it. Be safe and have fun. The only pressure is what you put on yourself. The people who win these things have been doing it for years or decades. Just go to have a good time and become familiar with operating your gun under a little bit of stress on the clock.

Edited by SinistralRifleman
Oh man... If I don't participate(because I'm a gun noob) I will 100% still be there to watch.

This will probably be one of the most n00b friendly matches you could possibly shoot. The hardest part about shotgun matches is loading your gun.

People never think they are ready enough to shoot a match, just do it. Be safe and have fun. The only pressure is what you put on yourself. The people who win these things have been doing it for years or decades. Just go to have a good time and become familiar with operating your gun under a little bit of stress on the clock.

Yea, I'm heavily considering doing it. Question about the 4-man team Zombie shoot off. Does it require all 4 members to be in the same division?

• 5 weeks later...

Lol, I registered on the az shooting forums to ask a question and totally forgot about this post here. >.>

Any... how many 10-round mags or any size mag am I going to need?

Also, nice to see the match filled up! Can't wait!

Lol, I registered on the az shooting forums to ask a question and totally forgot about this post here. >.>

Any... how many 10-round mags or any size mag am I going to need?

Also, nice to see the match filled up! Can't wait!

All the courses are somewhere between 15-25 rounds. You may want more for the team shoot off.

• 4 weeks later...

results are up!

http://www.cavalryarms.com/competition/2009-Halloween/halloween.pdf

http://www.cavalryarms.com/competition/2009-Halloween/teamhalloween.pdf

We had 20+ people drop out in the past 3 days. I feel bad for turning some of you away now. Next time we will require pre-payment.

lots of pics and vids were taken today, those should be up soon too...

From Match Director Bloodfeast:

Congratulations to the following participants!

Overall Top Three:

1) Kelly Neal (Toober)

2) Russel Phagan (Open)

3) Paul S (Open)

Match Winner, Overall: Kelly Neal

Kelly, being awarded the Necronomicron for his victory:

MatchWinner.jpg

Toober class top three (Tube fed):

1) Kelly Neal

2) Don L

3) Bill P

Toober class winner: Kelly Neal

Here is Kelly being awarded with a double DVD box set of Dawn of the Dead and Land of the Dead DVDs:

Toobwinner.jpg

Boomstick top three (SxS double barrel):

1) Kevin B

2) Ceramicgod (Karl K)

3) David M

Boomstick class winner: Kevin B

Here is Kevin (also known as Ash) being awarded with an appropriate DVD (Bruce Campbell Vs. the Army of Darkness Bootleg edition)

BoomstickWinner.jpg

Top three Action Hero shooters (Pistol grip pump):

1) Aaron B

2) Reid M

3) Evil Tim T

ActionHero Class winner: Aaron B

(Photo was destroyed by background radiation)

Top three Open shooters (space age shotguns with lasers and phased plasma):

1) Russell Phagan

2) Paul S

3) Brian N

Open class winner: Russell Phagan

(Photo was destroyed by background radiation)

Costume Contest Winner:

Sauce, AKA: Napoleon Dynamite (with a sweet 12 gauge pistol grip pump and a bowie knife)

Sauce was awarded Ash's severed hand for his costuming efforts:

CostumeWinner.jpg

Team match winners:

RSOs of DOOM

Karl K (boomstick), Aaron B (action hero), Russell P (open) and Russell C (toober)

Here's video of the RSOs of DOOM and their 37 second annilhilation of the undead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBPSGb-cpSU

There will be a bunch more video and photos to follow soon!

"set shotguns to cylinder" nerd squad:

251.jpg

Through the sewer tunnel on Dawn of the Dead

100.jpg

Evil TimT Particpated in Action Hero Class:

157.jpg

Shawn celebrates cultural diversity:

215.jpg

Shooters pulled a phrase out of the pile for Army of Darkness:

126.jpg

Doomed Away Team preps for the team shoot off:

204.jpg

5.56Grave doesn't leave a man behind; comes to Shawn's aid on Left 4 Dead team shoot off.

233.jpg

Image Galleries:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/competition/2009-Halloween/2009-halloween-1.html

http://picasaweb.google.com/practicaldirector/HalloweenShoot?feat=directlink

Here's me on all 4 stages

Boomstick Action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwqEB3ChM0Q

Ash on the Army of Darkness Stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpkqIzbNVRM

I was the Range Officer on Stage 1. The Saiga-12s as a whole had a poor showing at this match. Every one I saw had multiple malfunctions, except for mine and Paul's (second place Open). Not sure what the reasons for this are, but it left a lot of the other shooters unimpressed.

On the other hand, I saw A LOT of operator induced malfunctions with pump guns. It was shockingly common. While the operating system of a pump itself may be more reliable, if the operator doesn't do his part it can malfunction just the same. The semi auto tube feds ran the best over all.

I had 2 malfunctions with mine, but they were not killers; simply rack the bolt to clear it type. You can see them in my video above. I attribute this to leaving the gun in the car over night and condensation occurring inside of it. Whenever I cleared a live round at the end of the stage it felt wet.

The Team shoot off at the end was actually the most fun to shoot and most fun to watch.

Communication is critical in team events. My team mate communicated to me he couldn't take down the texas star so I started engaging it. Several teams left someone behind to deal with targets themselves.

Definately the most fun. Here's me having issues with my saiga but still cleaning a few targets. Unfortunate opportunity to practice my "open bolt" drum load technique.

I got mine back just two days before the match from being refinished and didn't have time to fiddle with it. Mine definately shot better through the day, but I can still see it wearing down the new finishing material along the rails and some surfaces of the bolt. Probably going to just polish the areas that are currently wearing and see if that improves it's ability to cycle the low-brass. Haven't had a problem cycling buck. Folks need to understand that with so many home converted saigas, there's going to be a lot of variability in performance, and it shouldn't be an idictment against the entire breed if a few have issues. Kind of felt bad mine had such a poor showing, as it was cycling fine before I had the coating put on to cover the sins of my dremel.

Edited by crux