.308WM pistol build

So I'm trying to do a build on a G3 receiver that is much like the vector which is unfortunatley not built anymore.....Which has raised there price up to an average of $2000.00 plus on GB and GA hence why I'm doing the build. First off I'm wondering if anyone has done this build already and could give me some pointers. I'm not trying to have a really short barrel on this bad lad, I'll be using it more for a backpack CCW than anything else so I'm looking at a 12" to 16" barrel other than that my requirements are slim. I intend to carry this with my Savage Striker (another project in the works), so I'm not worried about gettin under 1 MOA at 100 yards (although that would be nice). I'm using it more for close range.

Now, I know some people are going to ask/comment so I'll just answer the question ahead of time.

Why don't you just get the paperwork for an SBR?!?!?!?

Because I live in Michigan. I like it here, so no, I'm not just going to move to another state so I can have an SBR or SBS, it'd be cool but it just can't happen legally here. If we ever could have them I think the only thing I would so is SBS one of my Saiga 12s just so I could add that to my back pack o'mayhem.

Thanks alot for suggestions/comments ahead of time!

YARP

• 1 month later...

Ok so some news on the build....It didn't go as expected. The first thing I noticed is that I'm no longer a big fan of the G3 and its variants due to the frickin impossible to work with reciever, I kicked that POS to the curb already. I think I'm going to stay away from anything that isn't made to last long after I've kicked it.

So the adventure begins again....grrrr.... I'm going to hope I can find an FAL reciever for the right price and work with that. So if any of you folks out there happen to find one just laying around PM me, because the reciever alone is about how much I wanted to spend on this whole build (big surprise, next time I start a project I'll go into it knowing I'm gonna end up spending 4x what I want to! LOL!).

May want to ask over at the HKforum and see what they say. Have you thought of doing an AR pistol build in .308, or maybe getting the vector V53 pistol, they are fun. :):) but the V53 is .223, or maybe an Oly Arms OA93, it doesn't have the "dick" sticking out the back of the gun, also look at KelTec.

Termite, I'm actually pretty well versed in the large caliber pistol section. It's where my true love is. I enjoy them so much that I'm working on (and almost completed!) a whole bug out bag based on large caliber pistols. I love the idea of the compact package that delivers suprising amounts of power and range.

I really don't like the AR pistols with the "dick" as you say! LOL! I do have the Kel-Tec PLR16 in 5.56 NATO, it's a fun one to shoot and has its uses, but I stepped it up into the 7.62x51 for a reason, more power more penetration. I also found some interesting Sabot accelerators that can load a .224 55gr bullet into a .308 casing. I've never used them before so I'll post after I play with them a bit in my rifle (I'm usually not a believer in these types of "gimmicks", but we'll see).

I did actually talked to Adam Weber of HKParts.com when I decided to take on the build and he was incredibly helpful. If I ever delve back into the HK and its variants, he will be the man that I talk to. He knows his craft well and even made time for me and my questions even though he knew I wasn't purchasing anything from him at that time.

I would build a gas piston AR but the upper would cost me $1850.00 if I bought it built, $1500.00 if I did it myself. That's before the lower, mags, etc... It'd probaly end up costing me over $3000.00 before I even shot it.

I want to build on the FAL platform for several reasons.

1. I've already built a rifle and it was overall pretty easy.

2. The one I built actually turned out to be accurate and dependable! Always a bonus!

3. They are reliable as hell, no matter what you put them through.

4. Fals and there parts are quoted to last without replacing any parts and minor maintenance for more than 40,000 rds. They often just need a few things changed out after that in order to make them reliable again.

5. The gas system greatly reduces fowling in the chamber and reduces recoil.

6. Its the right arm of the free world, except a mini-me! :super:

YARP