What did thr LEO do...  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Whats happen to you?

• Never been asked.
    • Shown proof & it ended there.
    • Shown proof & detained.
    • Went downtown & saw the judge.

This thread is simply to collect data on what you've been through personally. Not heard, saw or read about.

Pick the one that best matches what's happened to you.

Please vote and share any stories when you've been asked "You got a permit for that" or "You got a license for that" or "You got papers for that?"

Thanks for all replies.

P.S.

I did NOT vote but the only time I have been asked for my FORM 4 was at a public shooting range while shooting suppressed.

Edited by MCASgt New River
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Usually , no problem . There was this one time though... I was in Lwr E.Bumfuck Ms. , going to a 'Nam re-enactment . Pig trail , fog , around 1-2 in the morning . Going slow looking for the homemade a

It needs to be a copy. Never carry your actual papers, keep them in a safe deposit box.

Pull out a packet of Zig Zags, tear off one at a time & release them into the wind... "Here, are my papers"

I've never been asked for paperwork on any of my guns. However, I was a passenger in a pickup that was stopped on the way to the range about two years ago. The officers that stopped were more curious then anything else, but stated that they had received several calls about a pickup driving down the road with a machinegun in the back. A friend had his 1919 mounted on a tripod and sitting in the bed on the truck. The tarp fell off while driving down the road without him realizing and several people called the police. Officers were fine and just asked if we could cover it back up. If I recall, they did not ask for paperwork either, but did ask a ton of questions about the gun...LOL

Edited by GeorgiaPD

I've been wondering this, and this seems like the perfect place to ask...........I don't wanna hijack the thread, so if someone who knows a definite answer can just give me a "yes" or "no"..........Can you just carry a copy of your paperwork? (As opposed to the actual paperwork)

I've been wondering this, and this seems like the perfect place to ask...........I don't wanna hijack the thread, so if someone who knows a definite answer can just give me a "yes" or "no"..........Can you just carry a copy of your paperwork? (As opposed to the actual paperwork)

Believe so, but it should be a black and white copy. Some stupid rule against copying gov't stuff in color, so I'm told.

It needs to be a copy. Never carry your actual papers, keep them in a safe deposit box.

+1..........if you loose your original, ATF will usually claim not enough manpower to run down the existing paperwork and make a copy........................This has caused the loss of some very expensive early registered machine guns.

I carry copies of my paperwork and I usually place another copy under the buttplate, or somewhere on the weapon. "Just in case".......

Of course I've never been asked to produce my paperwork, BUT, I'm usually handing out business cards to any LEO in sight anyway........"Hey, I can build your dept one of these, or these......ect."

• Like 1

Believe so, but it should be a black and white copy. Some stupid rule against copying gov't stuff in color, so I'm told.

Tritium & 22_Shooter,

I had a full size & 1/4 size color copies laminated. The color copy is in a sleeve protector and the 1/4 size are kept in my wallet. As stated in my OP the only person to ask for my paperwork has been the owner of the public range that I shoot at. And there is no gov't rule against color copies or laminating it.

Bob has the storage idea right too, I keep mine in a ziploc baggy in my safe inside a small safe for documents. I never want to try and get them replaced. Even though I was standing over the lady when she made copies I was worried about letting anyone handle my forms. :cryss::haha:

Yeah, my copies are in color and laminated. They look just like the real thing! Keeping them in your safe is OK, but a safe deposit box is best.

I just keep each gun's form in it's range case. The guns are never far from their cases

Never been asked for it. All I have so far is a stainless YHM Mite .22 suppressor, and the only police officers who have seen it did so on a pretty friendly basis, and were more curious than anything. I keep a copy in my pocket and a copy in the case I carry the can in. The original stays in the safe at home.

I've never been asked for my papers on my guns anywhere..........., but never fail to have them with me, just in case.

Always make sure to have the 5320.20's as well, for all stated destinations, as approved.................

Color copies with me in the gun cases, originals in the safe at home...............

• Like 1

Its also a good idea to keep the phone number of the NFA in your cell (304 616-4500). If you are asked for a copy of your stamped form, and there is a question or problem after you presented your copy (or cant find or produce your copy when asked)... AND its a weekday 8:00 - 5:00 Eastern time ... the NFA can look up your item by serial to verify you have lawful possession of the item.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Usually , no problem . There was this one time though... I was in Lwr E.Bumfuck Ms. , going to a 'Nam re-enactment . Pig trail , fog , around 1-2 in the morning . Going slow looking for the homemade arrow nailed to a tree to mark the turnoff . Local pulled me over , said I was driving kinda slow ......... OK , truck's full of guncase's , steel box's , all the shit you'ld expect , I'm wearing part of the uniform . Ask's "what's in the gun cases ?" well hell . "Gun's" , "What's in the big steel box ?" , "Which one , the one marked "Explosives" or the one marked "detonator's" ?" [been on the road a while....] Well , my shit deteriorated rapidly from there ...... A hour later , he still wasn't convinced I hadn't made up all that fancy paperwork [well , he ain't nver heard off such doing's] 2 hour's later his uncle showed up , luckily he had been schooled out of the local area and was familiar with English in it's written form . An hour after that , I had all my stuff loaded back up . If you want a moral to this story , "Don't smartass the guy with the gun" is probably it

• Like 4

Never been asked.

But I carry full-sized color copies, just in case . . .

One time I made the "mistake" of taking my Tromix S17 and Micro 7.62 over to one of the local PD Sergeant's house . . . He LOVED them, I practically had to pry them out of his hands!

And thanks Blam, I have heard that before. I'll put that number into my cellphone.

Well a LEO has never asked, but range officers always ask upfront what your shooting and then ask for papers. But when I go with a friend of mine with his SBR select fire M4, then the tension in the air rises, I bet he's had some hassle before, but he's got a badge....

• 3 weeks later...

Never been asked, but at the range I'm a member of, if you pull out a can or FA, you're everyone's bestest buddy. Most of the guys that have the FA's, just say, use your ammo and have fun. The S12 with the drum does get some looks, but they are all looks of envy. :):) Once a can gets shown, everyone starts comparing theirs to everyone elses to see who has the best, it's like kids in a candy factory.

When I shoot my suppressed ak handgun at the range 10 minutes from my house I always get the standard "aren't those illegal" or "don't you need a class 3 license?". I show a color copy of my paperwork then inform the person or people involved that both the suppressor and handgun are perfectly legal in the state of AK and I have no need for a class 2 or 3 license. I then tell them to google fa/suppressor firearm ownership so they can enlighten them selves on the current gun laws in the state that they reside in before making uninformed legal judgment on another gun owner. Most people and RO's at that range don't have a clue when it involves title 2 or 3 weapons. So to avoid the hassle or sometimes bad attitude of the uninformed I drive 45 minutes south of town to another range that has plenty of other class 2 & 3 firearm owners. I have met really nice people there and because I also own a class 3 item I have had the privilege of shooting many different fa, sbr, sbs, and different suppressors. In general the class 2/3 owners are usually a very friendly and curios bunch.

• Like 1

I've been on the ATF's website dealing with NFA issues for two days so to answer your quest directly from BATF

(M25) Does the owner of a registered NFA firearm have to have any evidence to show it is registered lawfully to him or her? [back]

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm in the owner's name. This document must be kept available for inspection by ATF officers. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the owner when the weapon is being transported.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't have anything nfa yet, but I have taken some crap for shooting an AK-47 at a local range

Doing a night time magdump on vid at a local shoot with an AK with drum I was asked if my gun was FA, and when I said no the guy called me a liar... :unsure: so I let him shoot it, the look on his face when the gun only shot one round was pretty damn funny. :lolol: (private range, FBMG MG shoot)

I had some problems with that guy at a threegun match before that, I swore he was trying hard to piss me off, so I just started talking down to him.

Some people are just so weird.

Edited by Gibbles

The range I go to is operated by the Sheriff's dept. Deputies run the range. The guy next to me had an AR SBR. They asked for his papers. He didn't have them and they just asked that he put the firearm away. He got all pissed, 'I been here yadda yadda yadda and never get asked. . . ' He was lucky they weren't in the mood to press anything. He still should of shut up and said 'sorry, I forgot them' Who doesn't bring their papers to a LE range?

• 3 weeks later...

never been asked by LEO types. but at one range I went to because my ODNR range was closed and I wanted to check the function of a magazine for my SBR AKS-74U the hilljack wanted to see my paperwork. I told him waiving the folding copy of my form 1, "unless you show me a creditials that you are LE or ATF I don't have to show you anything" he told me that he can't let me shoot it then. damn I hate assholes cop wannabes. I never was asked by the ODNR rangemaster for paperwork, and they are state gov't employess, damn if I'm going to show it to a toothless hilljack that is hygine challenged.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1