What did thr LEO do...  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Whats happen to you?

• Never been asked.
    • Shown proof & it ended there.
    • Shown proof & detained.
    • Went downtown & saw the judge.

One story that shows the mind set of Georgia cops. I was shooting su home. My s308 it's loud as you guys know. Well the cops we're parked about a mike away. The pulled up in the drive way cause they thought a transformer had exploded. Well it was a female and a male. The female exited first I asked is there a problem, she said no, we thought a transformer had exploded by this time the male had exited his car, i said oh that was my 308 with a 16" barrel, y'all want to see it, he says oh no there's no problem, she says to him you know you want to see it, turns out he's a gun guy and I showed it off to him, no asking to see papers or ID, granted Ill bet I could have been shooting a m16 full auto and if he could tell I knew what I was talking about I'll bet they wouldn't have asked for papers. I love living in free America.

• Like 2
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Usually , no problem . There was this one time though... I was in Lwr E.Bumfuck Ms. , going to a 'Nam re-enactment . Pig trail , fog , around 1-2 in the morning . Going slow looking for the homemade a

It needs to be a copy. Never carry your actual papers, keep them in a safe deposit box.

Pull out a packet of Zig Zags, tear off one at a time & release them into the wind... "Here, are my papers"

• 4 months later...

Cool I had the same upper with eotech. They are sweet. I traded for sone cash and a new smith and wesson XL hunter. Its a 7 shot 357 mag with airweight frame and 6" barrel. Weighs 30 oz. But the upper was cool.

I decided that if I need something besides 556 or 308 and want subsonic im going all out and doing a 338 specter since I hand loaded every blackout round I shot the cost of impossible to find ammo doesn't matter as much.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been wondering this, and this seems like the perfect place to ask...........I don't wanna hijack the thread, so if someone who knows a definite answer can just give me a "yes" or "no"..........Can you just carry a copy of your paperwork? (As opposed to the actual paperwork)

YES! Never run around with your original. Keep it locked up and then locked up one more time and then booby trap it. Make a reduced copy and laminate it. Stuff it in your case or even in a stock or grip of the rifle it will be used on.

YES. Answer is 100% yes.

Some guys will go to a notary and have them make a CERTIFIED copy with notary stamp. It will say something like. Certified true copy and will have a notary stamp on it.

• 3 weeks later...

YES. Answer is 100% yes.

Some guys will go to a notary and have them make a CERTIFIED copy with notary stamp. It will say something like. Certified true copy and will have a notary stamp on it.

I do that, even though it really isn't require, and it didn't cost me a red cent. go to to your bank, and ask them to notarize a copy of it. all banks have notaries, and if you are a customer they should do that as a customer service.

I keep the originals in my gun safe

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • 1 year later...

Old but excellent thread.  I asked my local friendly Class 3 dealer and this is what he said.  Technically only an actual BATFE enforcement agent has the legal delegated authority to ask to see your tax stamp.  A copy of the tax stamp must be kept with the NFA item.  This now includes cans?  That I do not know.  Yes you can emboss the originals and copies.  Keep the originals in a safe secure place.  I keep mine in my Safe Deposit Box at the bank.

My lawyer has copies.  Copies in the gun safe.  Copies with the items.  All embossed.  The copies are color.  Does not matter either way.  Local idiot cops and sheriffs may REQUEST to see your tax stamps.  You are under ZERO legal obligation to show them.  Good luck with that.  I have shot my stuff off at the Josephine County Sportsman's Park in SW OR with no problems.  Lots of us do this.  Just no .50s.  They shoot too far over that hill.

You need not tell the BAFTE if you move within the County and State where you live.  But ... they will tell you too tell them.  Not legal.  They are breaking their own rules which they tend to make up on the go.  They are the 400 pound Gorilla.  Still need that permission slip to move stuff out of state like from SW OR to Las Vegas NV for that big shoot.  Good for one year I think.  Hope this helps.  All of this is what I was told.  Good luck.

HB of CJ (oldest coot) SW OR USA.   All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

• 2 weeks later...

You need not tell the BAFTE if you move within the County and State where you live.  But ... they will tell you too tell them.  Not legal.  They are breaking their own rules which they tend to make up on the go.  They are the 400 pound Gorilla.  Still need that permission slip to move stuff out of state like from SW OR to Las Vegas NV for that big shoot.  Good for one year I think.  Hope this helps.  All of this is what I was told.  Good luck.

HB of CJ (oldest coot) SW OR USA.   All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

HB of CJ, does your NFA dealer have anything saying that?  Just curious, I didn't see anything saying you had to tell BATFE myself. I wasn't about ready to write a letter and ask..

No, only what my local friendly Class 3 dealer owner told me.  Thus the disclaimer.  I will specifically ask.  He goes to very great lengths to keep everything squeaky clean.  He also manufactures stuff.  Yeah, when I moved 2 miles the BATFE wanted me to give them a change of address form listing EACH tax stamp item.  Here is the strange part.  When I submitted the change of address they sent it back saying they already knew I had moved.  WTF?  HB