What did thr LEO do...  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Whats happen to you?

• Never been asked.
    • Shown proof & it ended there.
    • Shown proof & detained.
    • Went downtown & saw the judge.

I've had some comments said to me (about my semi autos).. but the closest thing thats happened is there was a guy with an m16 FA supressed, and I was bumpfiring my ak, so between the two of us it looked like two full autos to some crybaby I guess.. the AR guy left and shortly after the LEOs showed up and just watched me (out of everyone at the range, and said nothing) until I left.. I stopped bumpfiring as soon as they arrived, didn't want any trouble. Basically fired a few rounds nice and slowly and then left.. They just made me uneasy. Was at twin ponds in SC.. its a public range with no supervision.

Edited by volkov
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Usually , no problem . There was this one time though... I was in Lwr E.Bumfuck Ms. , going to a 'Nam re-enactment . Pig trail , fog , around 1-2 in the morning . Going slow looking for the homemade a

It needs to be a copy. Never carry your actual papers, keep them in a safe deposit box.

Pull out a packet of Zig Zags, tear off one at a time & release them into the wind... "Here, are my papers"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently had one in the line next to me ask if I had my class 3 licenses. After explaining to him for few min that it wasn't a class 3 license but tax stamp needed for a NFA weapon that I had paid under my corp., he replied soo you have your class 3 license. :rolleyes: I said yea and left it at that because he didn't seem to bright. After finishing I was talking to the guys working at the shop and found out he was a LEO. Funny thing is I wasn't talking to them about him not understanding the answers to his questions. I was talking to them about him shooting the target carrier from 8 ft :eek: making me feel like I need more then safety glasses WTF Barney Fife

• 1 month later...

I have used my SBS and SBR at a lot of 3-gun shoots that were heavy packed with LE types. I have offered to show my form 1's when approched, but no takers yet (in GA). I bet that if I didn't have papers, my ass would be singing base right now in Reidsville... but, I've never been hassled.

Macbeau sends...

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've been face down prone at gunpoint for shooting machineguns. Cops were so freaked out when they first arrived, I actually thought I might get shot.

This is just wrong, you were IMO treated very badly, especially if you were shooting at a public/private established range.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been face down prone at gunpoint for shooting machineguns. Cops were so freaked out when they first arrived, I actually thought I might get shot.

This is just wrong, you were IMO treated very badly, especially if you were shooting at a public/private established range.

That is absolutely terrible, and a violation of your rights IMO

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Never been asked about papers when I've had my can out

I stopped and off duty cop who was trespassing about a year ago through a farm I hunt groundhogs on. I was using my Savage .22 with my suppressor, he just asked what I had and if I liked it.

10 mins later he sent his buddy back in the marked car and the on duty cop gave my friend who was walking back to join me a hard time about my "stopping of vehicles with a rifle". Never made a mention about wanting to see any papers.

Suppressed .22s wouldn't be the place to start for me if I wanted to stop anything larger than the groundhog I was shooting at.

• 3 months later...

i have ben asked one time and i know why

when you start busting off full auto the sheeple get scared and think you are going to start killing every one.

i have a open bolt M11 9mm and thay are fun for like 5min till you start adding up what you just spend on ammo in 5min lol

its a cool sub gun but i dont use it any more

• 1 month later...

The only experience I've had was sort of strange.

I was stopped for speeding on a rural road with my then fiance, going about 10 over. Officer came up to the car and asked where I was heading, and I replied in all honesty, "we are going shooting out in the woods". We were on the road heading to a well-known patch of BLM land with shooting pits. The officer asked what I had, and I told him that I had a few rifles and handguns in the back, all unloaded. He took a few steps back from the vehicle, and I thought that I was screwed. Instead, he hands me my license/ins. cards, and just says "have a nice day and slow down." No questions, nothing.

I didn't have to tell him any of this, and it could have gone in the other direction with a nervous LEO (we were in tweaker country, can't blame them), but this time just being honest about what I was doing and what I had on me seemed to do the trick.

I've never had anyone give me any trouble for the things that I've shot at the range. EBRs and AKs are common at all the ranges I shoot at.

Edited by mancat

I have been asked to show my CCW during a traffic stop (cop say my RCS mag pouch) even though it is perfectly legal to carry in a ones vehicle without a permit where I live. I was speeding and didn't want a ticket so I played nice and showed the permit. I didn't get a ticket BTW.

Never been asked about other things. Of course I don't shoot at public ranges that often. However, I am curious about whether a govt agent can ask me to show papers if I am shooting say an SBR in an area where its legal to shoot and a jurisdiction where they can be owned. For him to just come up and talk is fine and dandy for him to prevent you from leaving or compelling you to hand over documents makes things a level two stop and he needs some reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime has been committed or is about to be. Surely the officer would say I say a rifle with a barrel less than 16" and suspected that it might be a crime. If the item in question is legal to own if registered then I question whether just seeing it is really reasonable suspicion of a crime. From what is observed it is just as possible it is wholly legal activity. In other contexts activity that can be wholly innocent does not create RAS. It is like a cop seeing you with a RX pill bottle. Could be a crime but also could be totally innocent. Now I'm intrigued to research this more when I have time. It may be that the officer does have reasonable suspicion and thus could ask for documents as that is a reasonable way of quickly confirming or dispelling his suspicion.

On a practical level I have little problem just showing the papers. If it that doesn't suffice I am asking if I am free to leave and going from there.

Still doing research but there is case law in Mass. (Commonwealth v Couture, 407 Mass. 178 (1990); that support what I was saying above. This case was in the context of carrying a gun. The court held that if carrying a gun was legal with a permit but illegal without then seeing someone carrying a gun did not give probable cause that they were violating the law because there was nothing to indicate and thus no probable cause that the person didn't have a permit. The court went on to hold that there was not even reasonable suspicion (a lower standard) of it for the same reasons, no facts indicating person didn't have a permit, and thus an investigatory stop to ask for someone to show his or her permit was not allowed either.

That is just one state case, I need to learn for more and Fed cases interpreting the 4th amendment on this point but it illustrates my point and supports it.

• 1 month later...

+1 Zambidis!!

This was well spelled out and I'll have to ask the local CLEO in the safety brief I'm about to receive tomorrow. This will be interesting because AZ is a very open state and I often wonder what an incounter would be like with NFA items. When I go out shooting I often have a few suppressors and sbrs...so I'm sure it would raise an eyebrow regardless.

MCASSgt New River

• 1 month later...

Don't have anything NFA(yet), but a friend I used to shoot with did. When we'd go to the public range here, you have to get permission from the rangemaster before "ripping it". Basically, the range will be declared "cold", you step behind the yellow line, and only the FA shooter is going when the range is declared "hot". We were testing out a couple one day(he had an M4, I was testing the PPSH41 he'd just finished), and a couple of FUDDs went gonzo on us. Even after the rangemaster told them we were "clean and green", they decided to call LEO anyways. Friend had papers in hand when the sheriff showed up, and the deputy didn't even have to get out of the car. He glanced at the papers, asked to see the PPSH(he'd never seen one), laughed a bit, then left. The two FUDDs were so pissed, and screaming something about calling ATF. Last I heard, rangemaster banned them for life for being assholes.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Just want to clarify one small item.. No US LEO has, at any time, ever asked anyone to "show me your papers", unless they were interested in buying a pedigreed dog or cat.

You may be asked to show ID, proof of residency, passport, visa, FOID, Concealed Carry Permit, ATF paperwork and tax stamps, Green Card, license, registration, proof of insurance - but no one in the United States in an official capacity has ever - or ever WILL ever say "show me your papers".

The expression itself is a cheesy 1940s Hollywood WW2 "B" movie translation of "Ausweis, bitte". Literally translated it means, "Identification, please".

The range officers at one of the ranges I go to say that "I need to see your papers"..

Just want to clarify one small item.. No US LEO has, at any time, ever asked anyone to "show me your papers", unless they were interested in buying a pedigreed dog or cat.

You may be asked to show ID, proof of residency, passport, visa, FOID, Concealed Carry Permit, ATF paperwork and tax stamps, Green Card, license, registration, proof of insurance - but no one in the United States in an official capacity has ever - or ever WILL ever say "show me your papers".

The expression itself is a cheesy 1940s Hollywood WW2 "B" movie translation of "Ausweis, bitte". Literally translated it means, "Identification, please".

The range officers at one of the ranges I go to say that "I need to see your papers"..

LOL!!! They're watching WAY too much MSNBC.

I'd say any MSNBC is too much MSNBC. <_<

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

my .02 ( I got change!)

As a NRA Range Safety Officer for the gun club I am at- its a 3 gun place - so everyone gets trigger time. WE DO HAVE THE PERMISSION OF THE PROPERTY OWNER, the gun club, TO INSPECT FOR SAFE HANDLING as well as all kinds of ill crap we see - people smoking K2 (yep caught one) before shooting, drinking, People that "Just" brought an semi-auto rifle or pistol - and "felt like it" to blast off as fast as they can - regardless they are hitting the ground and above the backstop. I am a regular 3 gun shooter, and we even have LEO bring their weapons here. If anyone is going full auto - and they don't look like cops - we get to ask them for the required paperwork. Granted - I have no idea what it looks like - but I do know that if your answer is "What papers" - you are not shooting anymore at this range. If someone is going full auto - it might be a malfunctioning weapon - and we can order it off the line. The club is very liberal - it has individual bays for outdoor shooting, you set up your own 3 gun drill.

I know the difference between someone handling a firearm safely - no matter the rate of fire. And per insurance regulations, I have to uphold the club range rules so my club will still be around in a few years.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

DNR I think the part where you said if they don't look like cops and have full auto I ask for papers. The. You don't even know what papers your asking for, that's pretty fucked up. One if I look like a cop I get a pass? Two you work at a range that allows full auto and don't know what a stamp looks like?

Delnbones whats you .300 blackout like? Build it from ground up?

And if a cop asks to see papers if I'm legally required to show them I'll show them. In the case of NFA weapons you are required so I would gladly show them. When in stopped for traffic BS they don't know I'm armed unless they ask and I always have my CCW handy. Never had a problem.