Open carry,get charged for inducing panic!

Story of a local man and how the Lima,Ohio PD handles our rights as citizens,its a long read but worth looking at.Its his story posted on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry Forum...Some may also remember a post last year about a LPD Swat team member who shot and killed a unarmed mother of 6 while holding her 1 year old child who was also shot but recovered during a raid on there home while looking for her boyfriend,even the egotist Rev Jesse Jackson showed up for a march.The officer was let go without charges or repercussions of any kind..eccept living with what happened.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34691

NC, where I'm stationed, has the same BS law. You "can" open carry, however if anyone sees you and panics you could be arrested for going armed to the terror of the public.

->this was swiped from THR forum

To anyone who displays a handgun -- even if it's not pointed at anyone -- while walking on city streets or sidewalks. Violators could be charged with a misdemeanor.

People with concealed weapon permits could continue keeping their guns tucked under pant legs, holstered under jackets or packed into purses. Law enforcement officials could still display their weapons.

Police will present the proposal to the Charlotte City Council Monday evening.

But already, an N.C. gun-rights leader said he plans to "oppose vociferously" such restrictions. Paul Valone, president of Grass Roots North Carolina, said the ordinance would be another example of bureaucrats trying to make "criminals out of law-abiding citizens."

The proposed ordinance resembles a 12-year-old rule in "Chapel Hill.

There, small handguns cannot be displayed on public streets. The town also prohibits display at polling places, by people under the influence of alcohol or drugs and at "public assemblies," defined as the gathering of three or more people on public property.

Chapel Hill adopted the series of gun restrictions following the use of a handgun in a homicide there, said Town Attorney Ralph Karpinos.

In Charlotte, police said, violence didn't prompt the idea. But they recently received several reports of people walking around uptown, wearing guns openly, said Mark Newbold, a police attorney.

No one was threatening anyone with the weapons, police said. And officers checked out the calls, making sure felons weren't carrying the guns.

After Monday, the proposed ordinance would likely head to the council's community safety committee, chaired by Mayor Pro Tem Patrick Cannon.

"I certainly don't want to wait until we find ourselves in a situation where an incident takes place in a congested area where innocent bystanders are shot and potentially killed," Cannon said"

-------------

Glad I got my CHL. I pack almost everywhere I go...yes, even to take the trash out.

NC, where I'm stationed, has the same BS law. You "can" open carry, however if anyone sees you and panics you could be arrested for going armed to the terror of the public.

->this was swiped from THR forum<-

To anyone who displays a handgun -- even if it's not pointed at anyone -- while walking on city streets or sidewalks. Violators could be charged with a misdemeanor.

People with concealed weapon permits could continue keeping their guns tucked under pant legs, holstered under jackets or packed into purses. Law enforcement officials could still display their weapons.

Police will present the proposal to the Charlotte City Council Monday evening.

But already, an N.C. gun-rights leader said he plans to "oppose vociferously" such restrictions. Paul Valone, president of Grass Roots North Carolina, said the ordinance would be another example of bureaucrats trying to make "criminals out of law-abiding citizens."

The proposed ordinance resembles a 12-year-old rule in "Chapel Hill.

There, small handguns cannot be displayed on public streets. The town also prohibits display at polling places, by people under the influence of alcohol or drugs and at "public assemblies," defined as the gathering of three or more people on public property.

Chapel Hill adopted the series of gun restrictions following the use of a handgun in a homicide there, said Town Attorney Ralph Karpinos.

In Charlotte, police said, violence didn't prompt the idea. But they recently received several reports of people walking around uptown, wearing guns openly, said Mark Newbold, a police attorney.

No one was threatening anyone with the weapons, police said. And officers checked out the calls, making sure felons weren't carrying the guns.

After Monday, the proposed ordinance would likely head to the council's community safety committee, chaired by Mayor Pro Tem Patrick Cannon.

"I certainly don't want to wait until we find ourselves in a situation where an incident takes place in a congested area where innocent bystanders are shot and potentially killed," Cannon said"

-------------

Glad I got my CHL. I pack almost everywhere I go...yes, even to take the trash out.

Maybe you should look into getting a 1911 with a pink Dura Coat finish and pictures of Care Bears and puppies all over it.

Your open carry law is like giving a kid candy with one hand and then slapping the sh*t out of him with the other when he takes it.

Maybe you should look into getting a 1911 with a pink Dura Coat finish and pictures of Care Bears and puppies all over it.

Your open carry law is like giving a kid candy with one hand and then slapping the sh*t out of him with the other when he takes it.

Oh, like this!! THIS IS THE MOST PIMP, MAN KILLER I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! :lolol::super::lolol::super:

HelloKitty.jpg

I screwed up the other month.

Oregon is an open carry state, but Portland has an ordnance against it.

My shirt accidentally got caught on the wrong side of my G-17 for a split second & a guy saw it. I didn't know he saw it, but he was acting strange. I forwardly asked him "Whats on your mind bro? Your acting weird." He told me he saw my sidearm. I apologized & showed him my CHL explaining that I work with the criminally insane often & carry do to past threats. This eased him, but you can be damn sure I will not let that happen again!

OOPS! :blush:

The moral of this story is if you scare someone, be polite, apologize & set their mind at ease. these simple courtesys can save you a but-load of hassle.

Humans are a scared bunch, fear is the ultimate motivator.

BE NICE it will take you a long way. :up:

• 4 weeks later...

-SNIP-

That is absolutely 100% false. That is the biggest lie repeated by antigunners and the gullible gun owners continue to blindly repeat it all the time. Not a month goes by that I don't see or hear that BS brought up among otherwise intelligent gun folks.

That arcane law has *nothing* to do with OC, and it will never, ever hold up in court for OC. Ever. It's a tack-on charge at best, and requires the violator to satisfy four things:

1) Going armed with a dangerous and unusual weapon (yes firearms count as both, State v. Robert S., Huntley, 1843)

2) For the purpose of terrifying others

3) goes about on public highways

4) In a manner to cause terror to others

Points 2 and 3 are what completely defer this from OC. Point 1 perhaps, 4 is a big stretch, the other two are totally out of the question.

Don't believe the anti-gunners lies, and don't buy into the anti-OC hype. Just because it's on THR doesn't make it gospel. Open carry in NC is every last bit as legal and safe as CC. Get out there and do it.

If true, this would be the only type of circumstance I can think of where a person could be held legally responsible for another person's irrational fears. This is the vicious circle of insanity where people fear openly carried guns because it is rare, and it is rare because people will fear openly carried guns. And around and around we go. Police departments and individual cops are complicite in this insanity because they will usually use a citizen complaint of merely carrying openly according to the law as an excuse to somehow harrass the individual who is obviously doing nothing more than excersising their legal right to carry openly. In ever citizen citizen complaint to law enforcement the police have the oportunity ask a couple simple questions of the complaintant that would determine if a person was merely carrying or somehow acting in a threatening manner but it seems they must always stop the individual and put on a big production which, in the end, is no more than simple harrassment.

Edited by DogMan

If true, this would be the only type of circumstance I can think of where a person could be held legally responsible for another person's irrational fears. This is the vicious circle of insanity where people fear openly carried guns because it is rare, and it is rare because people will fear openly carried guns. And around and around we go. Police departments and SOME individual cops are complicite in this insanity because they will usually use a citizen complaint of merely carrying openly according to the law as an excuse to somehow harrass the individual who is obviously doing nothing more than excersising their legal right to carry openly. In ever citizen citizen complaint to law enforcement the police have the oportunity ask a couple simple questions of the complaintant that would determine if a person was merely carrying or somehow acting in a threatening manner but it seems SOME must always stop the individual and put on a big production which, in the end, is no more than simple harrassment.

Dogman,

I'll even agree with you in your response, but I did change a few words. I think that all of the LEO's on this forum are pretty well rounded and can tell the difference between one person freaking out and total histeria. We are not all unknowing asshats :lolol: And every probationary officer that leaves my car for solo patrol certainly knows the difference :super:

Just messing with you is all. I'm off today and had to get my harrassment fix in somehow :haha: I already know that I am welcome in your house as long as I'm off duty per our previous dialogue.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

If true, this would be the only type of circumstance I can think of where a person could be held legally responsible for another person's irrational fears. This is the vicious circle of insanity where people fear openly carried guns because it is rare, and it is rare because people will fear openly carried guns. And around and around we go. Police departments and SOME individual cops are complicite in this insanity because they will usually use a citizen complaint of merely carrying openly according to the law as an excuse to somehow harrass the individual who is obviously doing nothing more than excersising their legal right to carry openly. In ever citizen citizen complaint to law enforcement the police have the oportunity ask a couple simple questions of the complaintant that would determine if a person was merely carrying or somehow acting in a threatening manner but it seems SOME must always stop the individual and put on a big production which, in the end, is no more than simple harrassment.

Dogman,

I'll even agree with you in your response, but I did change a few words. I think that all of the LEO's on this forum are pretty well rounded and can tell the difference between one person freaking out and total histeria. We are not all unknowing asshats 021.gif And every probationary officer that leaves my car for solo patrol certainly knows the difference 027.gif

Just messing with you is all. I'm off today and had to get my harrassment fix in somehow naaaa.gif I already know that I am welcome in your house as long as I'm off duty per our previous dialogue.

Yes, I agree, or at least I assume it is only some. I'm just curious though, wouldn't you agree that it is certainly in the majority and, as such, that in itself virtually eliminates a person's ability to reasonably expect not to be harrassed while openly carrying (where legal)? In my state it is legal to open carry but were I to do it I would expect that in a very short time I would be having a patrol car pull up beside me have to go through a big hassle. I would hope it would be a cop with your point of view but I wouldn't count on that. So in my view, I'm really not free to do that at all. And yes you would be welcome in my house.

That was one of the big worries when we marched on the capital in Columbus OH, before the CCW went into effect. We had over a hundred men and women all carrying openly. Drew alot of attention and then the CCW passed. Last track of OC after that.

Hel, In Arizona, I used to walk through Wallyworld w/ a .357 strapped to my hip, openly. Then got my CCW there, moved east and couldn't believe how backwards ass this state(OH) was, no CC at the time. Still not happy with what we got but at leat we aint Illinouis.

LRoDV,

Mikel

Yes, I agree, or at least I assume it is only some. I'm just curious though, wouldn't you agree that it is certainly in the majority and, as such, that in itself virtually eliminates a person's ability to reasonably expect not to be harrassed while openly carrying (where legal)? In my state it is legal to open carry but were I to do it I would expect that in a very short time I would be having a patrol car pull up beside me have to go through a big hassle. I would hope it would be a cop with your point of view but I wouldn't count on that. So in my view, I'm really not free to do that at all. And yes you would be welcome in my house.

Once again, you are correct in your assumptions. Although I do not run into a person openly carrying on a daily basis, I do see them at least once a week in my area of patrol. I could care less about them unless they are making fools of themselves, which is very very seldom. Here is my point of view on the open carry subject. Go for it, but be damn sure of your surroundings. My only fear about open carry is that all too often, the people with guns hanging on there waists walk around like sheep. For some reason SOME of them think that because they have a gun on that they do not have to have any type of situational awareness and have a false sense of security about being a victim. There have been three occasions this year that I am aware of where a person that was carrying either concealed or in the open have been robbed of their money and gun. In every case, the victim could not even provide a good suspect description. All of the incidents revolved around being approached by one from the front and another from either the rear or side while they were walking around with their heads down and not paying attention. In all cases, the gun was the true target and was the first thing that the suspects asked for from the victims. That is my only issue with open carry, but only because some people are just oblivious to their surroundings and responsibilites.

I will usually talk with people that I see with a visible handgun, but not to bother them about the gun. Most of the time it is either to see what they are carrying and talk about guns or to gather information. I think that MOST people that are willing to carry in the open are an excellent source of information about possible criminal activity in the area or suspicious people out lurking. Most of them pay close attention to their surroundings and a large majority of them have an active interest in protecting their community and other citizens. I am always amazed at the wealth of information that "The Ordinary" citizen can provide and the things that they see that I can not due to the patrol car and uniform. The officers that want to ignore this type of insight are only kidding themselves and robbing themselves of an opportunity to further protect the citizens that they swore an oath to protect.

Off course I am always cautious in approaching anyone with a gun, but that is my nature and always has been. I am much more afraid of the gun that I can not see as opposed to the one that I can. It is unfortunate that some officers out on the road do not share the same views. I do not know if it's the macho man or tough guy persona, who knows. Again unfortunate, because the one person that they piss off and harass today may be the one that saves their ass tomorrow if they are down. Whether it be the gangs, drug dealers or predators, we all live in a dangerous world and need all the help that we can get. Sorry for the long response, but at least we are on the same page with many things. I think my signature line says it all from Albert Einstein.

-SNIP-

That is absolutely 100% false. That is the biggest lie repeated by antigunners and the gullible gun owners continue to blindly repeat it all the time. Not a month goes by that I don't see or hear that BS brought up among otherwise intelligent gun folks.

That arcane law has *nothing* to do with OC, and it will never, ever hold up in court for OC. Ever. It's a tack-on charge at best, and requires the violator to satisfy four things:

1) Going armed with a dangerous and unusual weapon (yes firearms count as both, State v. Robert S., Huntley, 1843)

Points 2 and 3 are what completely defer this from OC. Point 1 perhaps, 4 is a big stretch, the other two are totally out of the question.

Don't believe the anti-gunners lies, and don't buy into the anti-OC hype. Just because it's on THR doesn't make it gospel. Open carry in NC is every last bit as legal and safe as CC. Get out there and do it.

You calling me a liar? The feeling of being terrorized is up to the individual, not the person OC'ing. Therefore, if little, old, PelosiBama, Grandma feels like your a threat or is terrorized by your sidearm then that is all she needs to call, you will at best be held up for questioning, and possible more depending on the LEO involved.

Now, I will call you a LIAR for GP :haha: and the fact that page 23, paragraph 6 backs what I have said. NC DOJ Firearms Link Based off of the 1-4 above all I need to do is strap on a weapon and go out in public to possibly be harrassed by this BS, I do agree it is BS common-law. Although, 2 & 4 are based off the feeling that the OC person imposes while in said public place and the perception of what your actions may be by the people around you. It wasnt pulled off THR as gospel...I do my DD and keep myself current...dont make yourself out to be more special then you are.Mega_Puke_gallery.jpg

I'm located in Swansboro NC Just outside MCB Camp Lejeune.

I have my CHP but Open Carry daily..

NC's law is mighty dumb, but for the past 4 years I have been OC'ing I have never been arrested.

I have only had to explain myself to a cop one time.

I have never been asked to leave a place of business.

But I have had to explain why it is legal, even without a CHP, to about 500+ people who ask about it.

Even with all the Libtard Yankee's in Emerald Isle I still Open Carry and don't get harassed..

CXS

I'm located in Swansboro NC Just outside MCB Camp Lejeune.

I have my CHP but Open Carry daily..

NC's law is mighty dumb, but for the past 4 years I have been OC'ing I have never been arrested.

I have only had to explain myself to a cop one time.

I have never been asked to leave a place of business.

But I have had to explain why it is legal, even without a CHP, to about 500+ people who ask about it.

Even with all the Libtard Yankee's in Emerald Isle I still Open Carry and don't get harassed..

CXS

I too have my CHP and see no reason why I would wanna draw attention to myself by OC'ing. Plus, I was asked to leave BELKS in the J-ville mall for OC once, just FYI if you ever go there I'm trying to boycott them! :super:

But anyways, I should be rotating home in less then 10 days from a little mando R&R...we should meet up for a small forum member shoot-off! I used to RSO at FlatWoods about a year ago so hopfully their still NFA friendly as I have a few toys I wanna try out. Your handle sounds familiar...you on BARF.com too? You work at the power, or cable company or something like that if your whom I thinking you are? Yeah, I just did my DD over on BARF and we have spoken before...problem is you only might remember me by various names as I kept getting kicked off because someone thought I was a dealer?? :chris: Some seriously STUPID rules and no warning, or anything....completely different thread though. Welcome to SAIGA-12, glad to see another weapon enthusaist here from the local area :smoke:!!

Edited by MCASgt New River

-SNIP-

You calling me a liar? The feeling of being terrorized is up to the individual, not the person OC'ing. Therefore, if little, old, PelosiBama, Grandma feels like your a threat or is terrorized by your sidearm then that is all she needs to call, you will at best be held up for questioning, and possible more depending on the LEO involved.

Now, I will call you a LIAR for GP :haha: and the fact that page 23, paragraph 6 backs what I have said. NC DOJ Firearms Link Based off of the 1-4 above all I need to do is strap on a weapon and go out in public to possibly be harrassed by this BS, I do agree it is BS common-law. Although, 2 & 4 are based off the feeling that the OC person imposes while in said public place and the perception of what your actions may be by the people around you. It wasnt pulled off THR as gospel...I do my DD and keep myself current...dont make yourself out to be more special then you are.

Never called you a liar. Misinformed, yes, but a liar, no.

Can you be harassed by LEO? Bet your life on it.

Will GATTTOTP stick if you're just going about your business and someone calls 911? Not a chance.

GATTTOTP charges for OC'ing are a myth at best, a remote possibility at worst, and one of the most often repeated untruths by gun owners. That's all I said about it, and that's all I meant by it. No offense intended.

I aim to enlighten more people and get them OC'ing without fear of being harassed or jailed. FUD like these age-old common-law charges just scares people away from that.

Edited by FenderFreek

I think it would be interesting for some of us in different parts of the country to open carry for a day (where legal) and document our experiences here. Who said what to you. Anybody actually call 911. Did police approach you. Everybody just leave you alone. Whatever. What do you think, good idea or dumb idea?

I too have my CHP and see no reason why I would wanna draw attention to myself by OC'ing. Plus, I was asked to leave BELKS in the J-ville mall for OC once, just FYI if you ever go there I'm trying to boycott them! :super:

But anyways, I should be rotating home in less then 10 days from a little mando R&R...we should meet up for a small forum member shoot-off! I used to RSO at FlatWoods about a year ago so hopfully their still NFA friendly as I have a few toys I wanna try out. Your handle sounds familiar...you on BARF.com too? You work at the power, or cable company or something like that if your whom I thinking you are? Yeah, I just did my DD over on BARF and we have spoken before...problem is you only might remember me by various names as I kept getting kicked off because someone thought I was a dealer?? :chris: Some seriously STUPID rules and no warning, or anything....completely different thread though. Welcome to SAIGA-12, glad to see another weapon enthusaist here from the local area :smoke:!!

The entire J-Ville Mall is a No Gun Zone..

I don't go to the mall period..

As far as the get together, sounds good.

I haven't been to Flatwoods in almost 2 years.

The range fee is something like $16-$20 now..

Lemme know when your back in town..

I'm low on ammo in all Calibers except .22

So, it's not gonna be too impressive of a shoot.. :donatello:

CXS