The 5.45x39 picture thread

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With 74 laminate:                       Z

Not anywhere near as nice as the ones above me....     Sidenote is it really necessary to quote someone and include all of their 30 big ass pictures in it? (damn thats annoying!)

Brakeless no more.  

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my 5.45x39, I just finished up getting it upgraded from my initial conversion.

Tapco SAW

Tapco warsaw pac buttstock

Tapco G2

Tapco galil HG (I modded to fit the ultimak, and then drilled out the clamp screw holes, installed a lager bolt/nut combo, notched the barrel to fit the larger bolt I installed so it's a solid mount now, I also installed heat shielding on the inside of the handguard with some tin flashing)

Ultimak gas tube

Konus pro atomic dot (I need to get out and test this see if it's great deal or a bust)

14mm LH A2 birdcage hider

post-10068-12565675916358_thumb.jpg

post-10068-12565676265051_thumb.jpg

post-10068-12565676586678_thumb.jpg

post-10068-12565677309679_thumb.jpg

post-10068-12565677696205_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to the forum and want to thank everyone for the help.

My Saiga 5.45 x 39 conversion is below.

All parts from Carolina Shooter Supply.

New Tromix/Tapco Trigger is awesome plus bolt hold open works. :lolol:

Saiga545x3911-18-09.jpg

My .223, 7.62 x 39, and .308 are next on the bench.

5.45 x 39 before conversion at top of photo below.

Saiga11-04-09.jpg

Edited by esource
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Sitting around the house this weekend sick as crap and finally did a basic conversion with extra parts that I had laying around. Again, just basic, but it will work for my needs. :smoke:

nice

I wish had spare parts like that :P

what's the flashider/brake you got on there?

• 3 weeks later...

Got my 5.45 Converted!

OK typical fixed stock conversion. Nothing special there. For the front I welded on an AK-74 style brake, and an Ultimak gas tube rail for my red dot sight. It will co-witness with the iron sights. I really like the stock Saiga forend, so I cut away enough for it to fit almost emmlessly with the Ultimak rail. Unfortunately we live in Jersey so she eats small meals if you know what I mean!

post-21696-1262890383258_thumb.jpg

post-21696-12628903952233_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

More pictures.

I actually ended up picking my friends Kobra and trying it out. I like it so much I think Im going to keep it.

What do you think?

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

Still ironing out my picture taking skills... :)

If you look closely and wonder why my flash hider looks like its different color. Well thats what you get when you put 500+ rounds thouhg it without cleanning it.

Edited by Deussne

More pictures.

I actually ended up picking my friends Kobra and trying it out. I like it so much I think Im going to keep it.

What do you think?

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

Still ironing out my picture taking skills... :)

If you look closely and wonder why my flash hider looks like its different color. Well thats what you get when you put 500+ rounds thouhg it without cleanning it.

Looks great!

I'll throw pics up soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Here is my newly restored 5.45x39. I did Tapco Dark Earth aquired from my 7.62x39..

I used a CSS rounded trigger guard, Tapco G2 FCG (single-hook) also with the 'retainer plate'. The SAW style grip needed a very small mod to open up where it wraps-around the new trigger guard..

There is a conversion post I did also for the new guys also. I also modded the BHO to be a little shorter and also put the BHO back in which helps at certain ranges vs. throwing a spent casing into my breech..

post-8775-12668437868244_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up the final Saiga 5.45x39 conversion tonight. Installed a double hook Tapco G2 and installed a K-VAR stockset I had taken off a Bulgarian rifle that I had switched to a plum stockset.

Modified a lower handguard retainer so I could install the handguards without removing the FSB or gas block which are dimpled with a punch weld instead of pinned. Burned out my old dremel before I was finished. Forgot to repaint one of the ribbed dust covers so I still have that to do on one of the rifles. Picked up one Tapco 5.45x39 and one Tapco 7.62x39 magazine to test them out, though I didn't need them for compliance purposes.

100_1476.jpg?t=1268266809

100_1477.jpg?t=1268267082

Mak,

Wow, your second 5.45x39 is just like mine posted just above yours! I used one of Klassy's bolt on LHG and used a black K-VAR AK74 stock set. Two questions:

1) Did you install a bullet guide in either of the 5.45x39? if so what brand did you use?

2) Do you plan to add muzzle brakes at a later date? if so what type are you thinking about?

Look forward to your reply!

Cool!

:super:

Frosty

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

Just got an OEM Saiga mount and decided to put a 1" Ukranian PU scope on. Works great. Im going to zero it in tomorrow and keep it in a range bag so I can switch b/w Kobra (Pictures above) and this PU scope for longer distances.

Mak,

Wow, your second 5.45x39 is just like mine posted just above yours! I used one of Klassy's bolt on LHG and used a black K-VAR AK74 stock set. Two questions:

1) Did you install a bullet guide in either of the 5.45x39? if so what brand did you use?

2) Do you plan to add muzzle brakes at a later date? if so what type are you thinking about?

Look forward to your reply!

Cool!

:super:

Frosty

Didn't install a bullet guide as the mags worked without one.

I use surplus corrosive ammo so I don't plan on any muzzle devices as I don't want extra cleaning to do. I have a Bulgarian rifle with muzzle device if I have to have one.

I modified a $15.00 handguard retainer with my dremel and angle grinder. I own one dinzag $91.00 HG retainers but I think my $15.00 one works just as well.

100_1478.jpg?t=1268337853

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=126544