The 5.45x39 picture thread

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With 74 laminate:                       Z

Not anywhere near as nice as the ones above me....     Sidenote is it really necessary to quote someone and include all of their 30 big ass pictures in it? (damn thats annoying!)

Brakeless no more.  

Posted Images

After drooling over a Saiga 5.45 since 2009, I FINALLY got one!!!

Its definitely a darker red than it appears in this pic:

89164870.jpg

Desperado's guitar case 027.gif

58976082.jpg

Its true color:

dscf0014oq.jpg

thats a nice setup man. i love the pistol grip. who makes it and where did you get it? also the guitar case is badass. where can i get one?

Thanks.

Pistol Grip: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78081

And its just a regular hard shell guitar case that you can get from Guitar, Center, ebay, etc.

Here's the method that I followed (ended up using mattress foam though): http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/457170_.html

I had my first Saiga conversion listed before but I can't edit it and don't have the link to the pic correct so here it is again. I have about 5 hours into it. Ran 180 rounds thru it with no bullet guide and it was fine. I have one to install just have not done it yet.

finished74001.jpg

Just finished my modest conversion. This is my first Kalashnikov and I must say, the quality of this rifle is excellent!

However, I am less than pleased with the fit and finish of the stock.

P1010195.jpg

If you have ever seen surplus AK plum stocks, they are not exactly smooth and uniform. That's just part of the deal. Arsenal/K-VAR tried to replicate this roughness.

Here's my new baby let me know what ya think.

My AK-74_1s.jpg

Thanks to Cameron and Choas For the quadrail

My AK-74_2s.jpg

My AK-74_3s.jpg

Figured I would throw mine back in the ring now that she's finished let me know what ya think or if you have any questions on parts for the conversion

I cant tell a difference?

Pictures of the conversion I did yesterday:

100_3314.JPG

100_3312.JPG

I learned a couple things doing the conversion the way I did it.

-Grinding and drilling shit sucks, but you gotta do it. It's not bad, it's just kinda tedious.

-Using the folding stock block, the tang needs to be cut off and ground flat. See the previous comment.

-Using the Tapco pistol grip nut with a Hogue grip works out awesome, but you have to shave off the sides of the Tapco nut thing to work with the folding stock block. See two comments ago.

-Using the Tromix modified Tapco G2 trigger kit is stupid easy to install... the Shepherd's Crook to retain the pins is a little bit of a bitch, but I got that fucker in.

-The side folding stock (ACE with the ACE mechanism) is NICE, but I probably should have gotten the 9.5" instead of the 8.5". I can make it work, tho. I worried if the stock folded might interfere with the optics rail should I ever decide to use it, but there is plenty of clearance.

Edited by FrayAdjacent
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The plum furniture and red grip look great with that side folder.

Nice job.

Think so? Thanks!

All my buddies tell me the salmon grip is horrible looking, but that's the way the bulgarian '74s were..... I think they're just jealous.

Here's a pic with the plum fixed stock.

CIMG2929.jpg

Edited by toshbar

I like it better with the wire folder. The grip isn't competing with the plum as much. Wonder what a Bakelite would look like?

Everyone has their own flavors, traditional and beyond.

Most important thing is you can shoot it very well.

The plum furniture and red grip look great with that side folder.

Nice job.

Think so? Thanks!

All my buddies tell me the salmon grip is horrible looking, but that's the way the bulgarian '74s were..... I think they're just jealous.

Here's a pic with the plum fixed stock.

CIMG2929.jpg

It looks sharp with the fixed stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from getting it refinished, I completed it Monday with the addition of the Chaos rail.

ACE 7.5 Skeleton stock with Button Folder

Chaos Saiga Rail

ACE grip adapter with MOE K+ grip

RS AKM with Vortex Strikefire

Krebs safety lever

Troy modular vertical grip

PWS J-Tac47 muzzle brake

Bulgarian gas tube

photo2-8.jpg

• Like 1

Nice job.

They look sharp with the wood. I see their still pretty much matching. Like the Hogue grips with traditional wood, that 45rd Bakelite looks good too.

It's cool watching these rifles(others too) go through variations.

Mine got a bit of a make-over...

... Beryl stock and underbarrel launcher...

74launcher01.jpg

I took a Polish 26.5mm launcher apart and did some tinkering. I have to get a better clamp for attaching it but for now you get the idea.

I used a rail on the top tapped into a welded square tube to the launcher to mount the aluminum rail. When I get a better clamp system going then the rails will interlock into each other and it wont hang down so much.

74launcher03.jpg

74launcher05.jpg

It got pretty interesting. I couldn't shorten the handle any more than I have it but it stuck way down farther before cutting and welding it shorter. If I had to do it again I'd hack up the H&K one instead...

I guess a 37mm launcher is the next project.

• Like 1