Hey folks,

I am curious how you folks paint in the numbers/letters on the various parts such as the gas plug on the shotguns, and Safety markings (S/F), etc.

I was thinking simple moldeling paint like that which is used for plastic models, but I wanted to ask before hand. I would expect that you would paint over the spot and then wipe the extra off of the surface so that the paint only sticks to the recessed portion.

Is this correct, or is there a certain type of paint that needs to be used?

Brownell's and probably Midway, have special colored sticks, like big crayons, that work ok. You can also use a real crayon, but high heat is problematic. I have experimented with both and it is very hard not to "color outside of the lines" if you will. Wiping the excess off always seems to, at least slightly, discolor the standard finish.

I think real paint, a very fine brush, and a steady hand would be best.

WJ

I used automotive touchup paint. I got a tissue and rolled up a corner and dipped it in the paint and then touched it to the groove for the letter and let it wick out. I got impatient and just used the bush in the bottle on some letters, and as long as you wipe the extra away quickly (but lightly, so you don't pull it out of the letters) it doesn't stain the finish much at all.

Hope that helps,

Acer

All I use is grease pencils. I wipe things down with rubbing alcohol and fill in the markings I want to cover real heavy. Then take a soft rag with just a dot of Break Free on it and wipe over it gentle. The Break Free will remove just the top layer so after a couple minutes you will have buffed the grease pencil down flush with the surrounding metal. It will last for quite along time.

there is a good thread on options for filling in engravings over on the XD forums. Seems one preferred options is to use nail polish, and then wipe away excess with something like newspaper with acetone on it, paper towel is too porus and gets down in the engravings, taking out whatever color you use.

note....i've not tired this in person....so don't take my word for it.

I would say that the most durable paint you will find for this is called "One Shot" sign painters/ pin striping paint. The stuff is practically indestructible!! I've used it for years and nothing beats it! Use the paint and wipe method you mentioned. If you can't find it locally look on Dick Blick art supplies on the web.

there is a good thread on options for filling in engravings over on the XD forums. Seems one preferred options is to use nail polish, and then wipe away excess with something like newspaper with acetone on it, paper towel is too porus and gets down in the engravings, taking out whatever color you use.

note....i've not tired this in person....so don't take my word for it.

I've read that thread. Here's what they suggest:

http://www.markal.com/productDetail82.aspx

That seems to be the easiest way. I already had a silver leaf paint pen, so I used that instead on my XD. I painted broadly over the lettering, not worrying about excess, let it dry for a couple minutes, then wiped away the excess with a rag alternating acetone and CLP. It took some trial and error to get it right, but it can be done. Here's how it turned out.

I'd go for the lacquer stik if I had to do it again.

I used model paint on my S12. The Saiga's paint job doesn't lend well to the paint over and wipe away excess method. I had to go back in and touch it up with black to get rid of the white clouds around all the letters. They're still visible if you look really close.