Double Stack 12ga Magazine for Saiga-12

Would the double-stacker make the MD20 obsolete?

In the scenario of First-wave zombie attack (or circus train derailment full of rabid polar bears in my case) the first defense load with the MD20 makes sense, then use the chest rig full of mags.

How many rounds is your engineering prototype again?

Ken

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These double stacks sound like they are going to be wide... With some dorky zig zag or lines extruded design on the outside of them they would be even wider. You should make them just plain flat look

Sorry for the tease but I have to get to bed. But it is coming!!! I'll try to make it back tomorrow ( or after I wake up rather) with more info.

So there you have it folks! Down to the big 3's, the real deal of core company values and good ethics. You can't have it any other way. Dedicated and by most suckers hated...

Posted Images

Would the double-stacker make the MD20 obsolete?

I don't think so because the MD20 would still offer an equal or greater capacity in a much shorter (albeit wider) package. Even if weight is the same, shorter mags are less cumbersome than long mags, and the MD20, while it would be wider than a 20 round double-stack mag, would still be quite a bit shorter. Afterall the MD20 is shorter than the 8 round single stack box mags, and really not even that much taller than the 5 round single stack box mags, while a double-stack 20 round box mag would probably be a bit taller than a single-stack 10 round mag. In any sort of real life scenario (i.e. a civilian self-defense scenario, or any law enforcement or military scenerio), a shotgun with a short, wide 20 round drum mag would definitely be preferable to one with a much longer 20 round double-stack box mag, because the user would be a lot less likely to catch the shorter drum on anything, when say indoors or when getting into or out of a vehicle.

Shooting competitions would be another matter, since at a typical IPSC or three gun shooting competition the runs are all set up outside, where there is lots of space to maneuver and not really anything for the shotgun or its mag to get caught on. So in this specific case, whether a competitor would prefer to use a shorter 20 round drum or a taller 20 round double-stack box mag, would probably come down to personal preference (and of course cost) more than anything else.

I have no idea what capacities Mike will bring these double-stack mags out in to start with, but I would guess they will be in the 10 to 15 round range to start (with higher capacities coming later), and once they hit the market I think they will for the most part pretty much replace all the single stack 8, 10, and 12 round mags (except in cases where for whatever reason a user just needs a thin magazine). A double-stack mag is just so much more vertically space efficient than a single-stack mag that there really just wouldn’t be any reason not to prefer them. Cost will of course be a factor as well, but if like he says Mike can bring these mags to market at a price close to what the AGP and Surefire mags are currently going for, then again there just won’t be any reason not to prefer then to any of the currently available single-stack mags (I am sure AGP and Surefire are hoping Mike won’t be able to sell them at that price point though, otherwise they will have to lower their pricing down to Promag levels if they want to keep selling their mags).

Edited by Frogfoot
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, Frogfoot

Yeah, that probably covers it. I haven't really been following this thread very closely, just a little disappointed that my favorite loads don't run in my drums, I reckon. At least the last time I checked. Maybe a workaround has been developed?

I do have some S&B 3" 00 buck that would find a home in these mag's, as well......

Respectfully posted,

guido

I'm hoping there will be no inherent shell limitations, such as the Federal L/E full-power buckshot loads, for instance....

Are you talking about any limitations on shell length? Mike said back in post #21 that these mags will work with both 2-3/4" and 3" shells.

Hello, Frogfoot

Yeah, that probably covers it. I haven't really been following this thread very closely, just a little disappointed that my favorite loads don't run in my drums, I reckon. At least the last time I checked. Maybe a workaround has been developed?

I do have some S&B 3" 00 buck that would find a home in these mag's, as well......

Respectfully posted,

guido

Mike said in some other post a few years ago (back when he first announced the MD-20) that for the Saiga 12 a drum could be designed to fire either 2-3/4" shells or 3" shells but not both, and since for most 12 gauge shooters the 2-3/4" shells are more popular than the 3" shells, that was why he designed the MD-20 to take 2-3/4" shells rather than 3". I think Mike has said that he will be making a 3" shell compatible drum at some point, but of course right now he is obviously concentrating on getting these double-stack mags to market first.

Edited by Frogfoot

Put me on the list for prebuy, I'm still kicking myself for not getting in on the drums in time :(. Based on what I've seen from Mike, these will be high quality, well thought out and designed toys for us saiga-lovers.

Put me on the list for prebuy, I'm still kicking myself for not getting in on the drums in time :(. Based on what I've seen from Mike, these will be high quality, well thought out and well designed toys for us saiga-lovers.

• Like 1

Yeah, ditto that, I was just hoping they would run my "pet" 2-3/4" shells.

guido

Hello, Frogfoot

Respectfully posted,

guido

Mike said in some other post a few years ago (back when he first announced the MD-20) that for the Saiga 12 a drum could be designed to fire either 2-3/4" shells or 3" shells but not both, and since for most 12 gauge shooters the 2-3/4" shells are more popular than the 3" shells, that was why he designed the MD-20 to take 2-3/4" shells rather than 3". I think Mike has said that he will be making a 3" shell compatible drum at some point, but of course right now he is obviously concentrating on getting these double-stack mags to market first.

Dear Lord in heaven,

Please help Mike Davidson right along with his double stack magazines. I often see saiga 12 systems with magwells from other sources integrated with their respective magazines but to be truthful lord I have been waiting for Mike's magwell because it was the first one I ever heard of and although some other companies seemed to have beat him to be first to market I still wish Mr. D the utmost success because I bought two of his drummies with hopes that one day they too may be MD magwell compatable. I honestly feel that Mike is the man for the job and his magazines will be superior as long as they have some magwell designed to mate with them. In your name we pray. Amen.

P.S. Please dear Lord in heaven please please please help Mike right along with some kind of video that protects his ideas and simultaneously lets us see any small detail to satiate our increasing curiosity and to set our support in stone. Amen.

Edited by Azkamidaka

I keep seeing a bunch of posts saying "sign me up for pre-buy", which has got me wondering. Does posting that actually put you on a pre-buy list? If so, I DEFINITELY want some! Would the initial(pre-buy?) price be different than the standard price once these MUCH anticipated mags & magwell are released?

I've been subscribed to this thread for a while, and keep hoping to see an announcement from Mr. M.D., but it's just more people anxious to get their mits on the MDoublstacks & magwell, the Saiga 12 holy grail!

Put me on the list for prebuy, I'm still kicking myself for not getting in on the drums in time :(. Based on what I've seen from Mike, these will be high quality, well thought out and well designed toys for us saiga-lovers.

Huh? You didn't get the drums in time for what? They didn't disappear, you can still buy one(or two, or three... ).