? or two for Cadiz/others.

Cadiz,

I looked for a solution to this in the archives , found some neat stuff -sacsucs article and your mention of warranty ...-.

Nothing like my problem though.

Description:

In my case, a brand new Saiga 12 has moderate to severe damage to the threads on the gas plug adjuster.,

The detent moved/moves freely but the adjuster was damn near froze -wasn't bottomed out-.

I had to hold the pin detent down and use the handle of a flat spanner type wrench that would span both adjuster slots but not hit detent or gas tube/cylinder to incrementally turn and remove the adjuster/plug.

Upon removal I checked the internal treads then the adjuster threads.

The threads on the adjuster had flattened contact areas like they had been severely over-torqued at some point, threads in areas above and below the damaged threads still appear to be OK niether flattened nor knife -edged.

In addition to the flat spots the damaged threads have small, uniform gouges, (vertical-30 degree) more or less perpendicular to the threads. Almost looks like a fairly wide chisel was tapped across the thread face damaging multiple threads at once.

The tiny chips in the thread face are from 1/32" spreading to about 1/8" apart, I'm assuming either a factory treading problem or this piece sat at the bottom of a large parts bin for awile to recieve this type of damage.

The adjuster was so tight that I slightly deformed one of the slots in the adjuster body while removing it.

While it did go back in a lot easier than it came out the adjuster thread damage warrants a replacement.

The female -gas cylinder- threads don't look bad at all. Harder matierial, perhaps?

I don't have a Rockwell tester handy so testing the adjuster is not an option.

The piston /puck is rather loose -better loose than tight?- and shows no damage.

I didn't inspect for 2/3/4 gas vent holes as I got side tracked with these hacked threads.

Actual question(s):

Recommendation for a replacement adjuster?

If fabricated in the USA - is it stamped? :<)

If you do have a replacement or a recommendation to another supplier do you want the factory hacked one for future factory hack warranty claims? Free I'll ship.

I won't be making a claim unless the replacement won't readily thread, I figure thread chasing will void the warranty (I never got a warranty when I purchased the gun this month, Ideas?)

Thanks In Advance

Miss your end iof the world...epatriate Western Pennsylvanian, Oil City/Pittsburgh

Let me bring this to Tom's attention, and see what he says. If your gun has RAAC stamped on it, its has a warranty.

Thanks,

I shall wait with baited breath.

Truthfully, I see little hazard to anyone behind the shotgun but there is a slim possibillity of the adjuster launching.

can you take a clear picture of it's threads and the gas tube's, and post it/them so Tom can see what exactly it is that is going on?

IOW's it might help him figure if you only need to send the part in for replacement, or the gas block needs addressing, as well.

Tom does refer to certain parts when he is drilling or machining them as "pieces of panzer" (such as the gas block on the saiga shotguns), so from what you describe, its probably just the gas plug.

Tom is the 4th generation gunsmith, not me. He'll be by later tonight, or tomorrow.

Most owners here buy a "Gunfixr" gas plug from one of our vendors (like I did). Not only does it have 4 adjustment positions instead of two like the factory plug, it can be turned by hand with no tools, instead of needing a spanner handle to turn it and two hands, one to turn the plug and one to hold the detent in (not necessary with the Gunfixr). The detent remains, and acts as exactly that, a detent for the 4 positions of the Gunfixr plug, but it doesn't have to be held in while turning the Gunfixr plag. As long as the threads in your gas block are okay, the Gunfixr gas plug will turn easily by hand.

I'd still get a replacement from Cadiz just to have it for a spare, not that you'll ever really need it if you have a Gunfixr plug, but if you ever sell it, it's better to have all of the original parts that work correctly.

Do let us know what you decide, and how it works out for you.