Is it legal to modify foriegn made 10 round ak mags to be able to use in the saigas without adding any US made parts to the saiga. How about foriegn made 30 round ak mags. What about using US made ak mags? Is it legal to modify 10 or 30 round ak US made mags without adding any US made parts to the saiga??

When you use U.S. made plus-ten-cap. mags you have just added 3 U.S. Made parts and must replace only one more on the rifle. When you use foreign made mags you must replace four parts, and a muzzle attachement and pistol grip don't count for those four because the Saiga never had them during import.

If you modify ak mags to work only in the Saiga I believe you still must add the four U.S. made parts. That is my opinion and its a gray areas as far as gov't documentation to support it, but better safe than sorry.

• 1 month later...
Do modified magazines count as US parts when modified in the US?? What about modified magazines with US made followers and floor plates?

:sadam:  :killer:

:osama:  :killer:

No, you can not modify a gun part enough for ATF to consider it to have been made in the US. It has to be completely manufactured in the US. Remember though, the magazine isn't considered a gun part. Three of it's components are. These are the body, floorplate and follower. If you use a modified foreign magazine body with US made follower and floorplate, you're still adding one more foreign part(mag body) into the gun any time you insert it. In other words, you can't "americanize" the magazine by using a majority of US parts, because each of the parts is being counted individually anyway.

Do modified magazines count as US parts when modified in the US?? What about modified magazines with US made followers and floor plates?

:sadam:  :killer:

:osama:  :killer:

Hahaha.. Yeah I asked the same thing. On my AK mags since I didn't want to do any mods to the Saiga itself, was to file it accordingly and put a small domed head screw in the front of the mag for a ramp.

Works awesome. I'll see if I can get a better picture when my stupid neighbor gives my digicam back.

post-1933-1113691527_thumb.jpg

Hey RotorDemon cool idea with the domed screw! I haven't seen that one before. Does that eliminate the need to install feed ramp in the gun? How much testing have you done?

yeah man. thats a cool idea!! i never heard that one before. Cant wait to see some more pics. Let us know how those work out.

Gotta love that american ingenuity!!!

Hey RotorDemon cool idea with the domed screw! I haven't seen that one before. Does that eliminate the need to install feed ramp in the gun? How much testing have you done?

yeah man. thats a cool idea!! i never heard that one before. Cant wait to see some more pics. Let us know how those work out.

Thanks :) Yes it does eliminate the need for a feed ramp, and for testing I have put 1300 rounds through the gun the majority was through the mag pictured above, plus I modded another 30 round mag and have no problems with that one. I have had two rounds in the beginning that did not feed directly into the barrel that the bullet sat on the rim of the barrel, fixed that by turning the screw out 1 turn or so.

Originally it was going to be a temporary mod until I could figure out how to weld up a bridge on the AK mag. but it works so well, I said screw it. :lolol:

I posted a bump fire video here and used the mag that is in the picture above.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=5115

The reason why I did not want to install a feed ramp is because I don't want to modify any of the internal parts, add or drill to the reciever.

Still no word on my digicam, I'll pound on his door tomorrow.

Thanks :) Yes it does eliminate the need for a feed ramp, and for testing I have put 1300 rounds through the gun the majority was through the mag pictured above, plus I modded another 30 round mag and have no problems with that one. I have had two rounds in the beginning that did not feed directly into the barrel that the bullet sat on the rim of the barrel, fixed that by turning the screw out 1 turn or so.

Originally it was going to be a temporary mod until I could figure out how to weld up a bridge on the AK mag. but it works so well, I said screw it. :lolol:

I posted a bump fire video here and used the mag that is in the picture above.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=5115

The reason why I did not want to install a feed ramp is because I don't want to modify any of the internal parts, add or drill to the reciever.

Still no word on my digicam, I'll pound on his door tomorrow.

What size screw did you use?

I have just two questions on that...

Did you have to drill a small pilot hole first? or just thread that sucker in between the steel folds?

On my mags theres hardly ANY room for a screw to thread in..

ALso....

Did you have to remove a small amount of metal on the front of the follower at all?

thanks!!

:smoke:

I have just two questions on that...

Did you have to drill a small pilot hole first? or just thread that sucker in between the steel folds?

On my mags theres hardly ANY room for a screw to thread in..

ALso....

Did you have to remove a small amount of metal on the front of the follower at all?

thanks!!

:smoke:

Yes I did drill a small pilot hole first, I don't remember the size offhand but it was smaller than the screw itself, put the screw in and let it thread itself in, backed it out and cut a bit off the screw so it wouldn't protrude out of the bottom, on both mags a bit of the metal got forced inwards so after you are done with the mod, take a pair of pliers and just squeeze it back into place. One thing I haven't done and would encourage others (if they were going to do this) is to use some thread locker on it. because it could walk, either up or down. This should be done at your risk only, I'm not to be held liable for any damage or injury.

Follower as in where the screw is sitting on? If so, I did not. (Still a greenhorn)

Edited by -RotorDemon-

hmm also for a more ghetto way...you can cut a piece of coathanger to fit in the gap....then a smaller piece to go in the little hole in the front catch to "Reinforce" the piece in the gap and epocy them in and it will work great i had a 10 round mag i did this too and it worked great for like 500+ rounds...still works just havn't been using it as much

I just got a romainian 75round AK drum and modifyed it to fit

in my saiga. It just arrived today. so, I decided to take it out and test it.

It worked perfect. no jambing, nothing. Ill post picz later tonight when my buddy brings my gun back. It is c0ol! I suggest every saiga owner have 1! It only took but 5 minutes to modify it. I just had to file down the mag's back post down to fit under(or in)the mag release

Just thaught i would let yall know

John

I moded a mag but instead of using the screw, I just used some solder to build up a bump that simulated the screw. I scraped off some of the black finish along the edge of the mag where the screw would normally sit. I then heated up some solder, let it drip down into the cavity where the screw would go and then built up a bump of solder, letting the surrounding mag area heat up real nice. I haven't shot it yet, but running the bolt action, it feeds 20 rounds real nice. No need to drill any holes or bend metal with the screw insertion. This would also probably work real well in conjunction with the "ghetto" method described above. I really appreciate this site and the little tips that come through here.

JeffM

I moded a mag but instead of using the screw, I just used some solder to build up a bump that simulated the screw. I scraped off some of the black finish along the edge of the mag where the screw would normally sit. I then heated up some solder, let it drip down into the cavity where the screw would go and then built up a bump of solder, letting the surrounding mag area heat up real nice. I haven't shot it yet, but running the bolt action, it feeds 20 rounds real nice. No need to drill any holes or bend metal with the screw insertion. This would also probably work real well in conjunction with the "ghetto" method described above.  I really appreciate this site and the little tips that come through here.

JeffM

You are going to run into a problem with the solder method. Since solder is lead (and therefore soft) it will degrade over use (quickly).

I talked with Pro Mag to make Saiga mags and told the mold maker what the differences with the AK magazines to the Saigas I suggested he could change one of the mold cavities to make Saiga magazines. He said he would need a Saiga magazine to see the differences and I told him he could order one to see it for himself.

:osama::killer:

:sadam::killer:

• 6 months later...