Holy lead-fouling batman

I have not used a tornado brush before, so this came as a shock...

P1010001.JPG

I had to double check to make sure that the brush was not eating the chrome lining of my bore. The bore is still shiny and smooth. This gave me a bit of a scare though :lol:

Should there be this much lead fouling after 300 rounds of birdshot and 40 slugs?? Seems a bit excessive to me.

I have not used a tornado brush before, so this came as a shock...

P1010001.JPG

I had to double check to make sure that the brush was not eating the chrome lining of my bore. The bore is still shiny and smooth. This gave me a bit of a scare though :lol:

Should there be this much lead fouling after 300 rounds of birdshot and 40 slugs?? Seems a bit excessive to me.

That's what happens when I use the tornado brush on my S 12. That tornado brush does one hell of a job huh.

Are you saying that is residue left behind from previous rounds fired?

That does look kind of excessive. :huh:

If that really is what is being left behind and not the inside of the barrel, maybe everyone should have a tornado brush.

That residue you are seeing there is derived from the slugs you fired through your gun.

:rolleyes:

Thanks... but it still seems like a LOT.

Using the simple copper brushes, I never saw anything like this. This is definitely convincing me to change my cleaning methods on smooth-bored firearms. :smoke:

For me I can only shoot slugs at my local range and whenever I clean mine with my tornado brush, it looks the same. Between using the tornado brush and my new cleaning jag, I can keep my barrel nice and pretty. Now if I can just find a way to keep that gas tube clean.

For me I can only shoot slugs at my local range and whenever I clean mine with my tornado brush, it looks the same.

I have the exact same constraints at my firing range.... which is why I finally decided to sell my S-20 and opt for a Saiga rifle.

zenmetsu -- If you found yourself surprised by the amount of lead shavings that you removed from your barrel using the tornado brush after shooting slugs, I can't help but to wonder how many forum members here DON'T thoroughly clean their shotgun barrels using a tornado brush (because there really is no other best way to remove those lead slug deposits from the barrel).

:smoke:

For me I can only shoot slugs at my local range and whenever I clean mine with my tornado brush, it looks the same.

I have the exact same constraints at my firing range.... which is why I finally decided to sell my S-20 and opt for a Saiga rifle.

zenmetsu -- If you found yourself surprised by the amount of lead shavings that you removed from your barrel using the tornado brush after shooting slugs, I can't help but to wonder how many forum members here DON'T thoroughly clean their shotgun barrels using a tornado brush (because there really is no other best way to remove those lead slug deposits from the barrel).

well, other means work... hoppes will de-lead the bore, but it puts the lead into solution instead of physically scraping it out. As a result, you go through a shitload of patches to do the same thing, and you never realize the true quantity of lead being removed.

Cheaper alternative which works quite well on ANY firearm is to go to any hardware or Wal-Mart and buy a pack of silverware cleaning cloths. Wrap it around your cleaning brush after cutting to fit and it pulls the lead out well.

I had a severe leading issue on an old Peacemaker clone and even bought a Lee 'Lead Puller' which worked well but it only fit one caliber and didn't clean lead off the cylinder face and had to be adjusted to clean the forcing cone.

The silverware cloths worked better, got lead out the brushes and Puller didn't get and $4.00 got me enough to last years.

Zenmetsu, were you using a drill or did that fouling come out just from simply pulling the brush through by hand without spinning it? On smoothbores I just chuck a brass brush in an electric drill and go to town to knock everything loose. Works great.

I would never, ever use the electric drill trick on a rifle. For that matter, I would never put anything made of steel (including the tornado brush) down a rifled barrel.

This was just 3 passes with the tornado brush. I push it through, unscrew it and remove the rod, reattach the brush and repeat. That way it pushes all the debris out the muzzle end instead of drawing it back towards the breech when pulling the brush back through the bore.

I never use steel on rifled bores and have not yet resorted to using any powertools.

Gary, when I first bought my saiga-12 I had no idea how it worked, I shot 200 slugs through it to break it in. Well I definitely broke it, the small dust cover broke off, the carrier was slamming back because I was shooting on the open setting. After cursing and welding it back on I decided to test fire it with a 100 round pack of bird shot, being satisfied and learning the hard way I cleaned it with a normal copper brush. 1000 or so rounds later I found these amazing tornado brushes. Just like zenmetzu i thought i fucked up something else on my shot gun.

Scared I did a search for Saiga-12, and that's how I found the Saiga-12 forum...

Zenmetsu, were you using a drill or did that fouling come out just from simply pulling the brush through by hand without spinning it? On smoothbores I just chuck a brass brush in an electric drill and go to town to knock everything loose. Works great.

I would never, ever use the electric drill trick on a rifle. For that matter, I would never put anything made of steel (including the tornado brush) down a rifled barrel.

The tordano brush's are made of very soft steel, you wont hurt anything by doing a few passes in your regular cleaning routine.

But putting it to a power tool, thats another story...

This was just 3 passes with the tornado brush. I push it through, unscrew it and remove the rod, reattach the brush and repeat.

Man that's awesome. I'm gonna have to try me a tornado brush.

The electric drill trick is for smoothbores only, and only with brass bristles (never steel). Seems a little extreme the first time you do it, but it does no harm. :)

Edited by aresv
Gary, when I first bought my saiga-12 I had no idea how it worked, I shot 200 slugs through it to break it in. Well I definitely broke it, the small dust cover broke off, the carrier was slamming back because I was shooting on the open setting. After cursing and welding it back on I decided to test fire it with a 100 round pack of bird shot, being satisfied and learning the hard way I cleaned it with a normal copper brush. 1000 or so rounds later I found these amazing tornado brushes. Just like zenmetzu i thought i fucked up something else on my shot gun.

Scared I did a search for Saiga-12, and that's how I found the Saiga-12 forum...

To be honest... I can't remember exactly when or from where I purchased my first tornado brush. Like, I'm pretty sure I bought it immediately after receiving my Tromix S-20... but it might have been a week or two later (after having fired a few slugs through it first). I'm kinda.... anal that-o-way, I typically conduct all the online internet research possible and then buy right away every doo-hickey and thinga-ma-jig that goes with the adequate maintenance of a firearm. Maybe that stems from my 21-plus years of service in the U.S. military? I don't rightly know. BUT, I will say that it doesn't take a friggen nuclear physicist (unless he's a blind scientist... :lolol:) to look down the bore of a barrel after you believe you've cleaned it... and then see all the crap still apparently stuck on the walls of the bore from the slugs, providing you didn't use a tornado brush.

The tornado brush... it is kinda a screwy looking thing, but... MAN does it work fantastically!

Sorry to hear about the damage your Saiga's dust cover sustained. First hand experiences.... they can be a real MO-FO! ;) Heck, the very last time I had my S-20 out shooting rifled slugs through it, I didn't consider (or "remember" to) turning the Gunfixr gas knob down to the number 1 setting (instead I inadvertently left it on the number 2 setting, which was appropriate for shooting bird shot). Well, it wasn't until after I fired off about 30 slugs and then went to go police up the spent shells during the range's cease fire..... that the thought dawned on me, "damn... these spent shells are friggen quite the distance out front!"

DOAH!!!

:lol:

~Gary

Edited by Gary

Ahhhhh that would be me... I usually just run a bore snake through mine a couple of times every couple hundered rounds are so...

This thread has now SCARED ME ! ! !

Tornado must find one and not shoot till find one...

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Got my Tornado brush off the bay.; I use my Glock 10mm brush for the gas tube. Nylon, works great. I use Silicone spray for the cleanup. I vbuy it in big, cheap cans. Spray it, let it soak an hour or so and clean normally with a toothbrush and whatever. The silicone dries and won't let stuff stick next go around. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the other "real" gun cleaners, and does just as good or better job than them. Try it and see what you think.