I tried to like AK furniture but I can't.

So I tried to like the k-var buttstock and pistol grip.

I just couldn't bring myself to like it.

In a way it made the rifle feel more stiff. Kind of like handling a sword.

But I can't help myself. I prefer a craptical rifle. I really wanted to turn it into an ak -101 clone. But I couldn't get myself to like the buttstock.

So I went back to the ergo grip and the tapco 6 position collapsible stock.

It makes the rifle so much more ergonomic.

Is it just me or does anyone else have a similar opinion.

Thanks all.

Not me, I personally can't stand the T6 stock. And my ergo PG is about to get replaced with a Hogue, to each there own right. I have had a lot of complaints about how long my Ace ultra light butt stock is, but it fit me pretty good so they can stick with there original AK stocks i guess. I just can't seem to like the T6, probably much in the same way you don't like the K-var stuff. I haven't had a chance to fondle an AK 101 type a riffle though. But they sure do look good.

Im with you on the T6. I have 2 rifles with it and if they made one for my shotgun (non Saiga Ithaca clone) I'd have one on it too. Theres just so much more possibilities with it. Anyone can adjust it to their comfortable length of pull and collapse it all the way for transportability.

Not me, I personally can't stand the T6 stock. And my ergo PG is about to get replaced with a Hogue, to each there own right. I have had a lot of complaints about how long my Ace ultra light butt stock is, but it fit me pretty good so they can stick with there original AK stocks i guess. I just can't seem to like the T6, probably much in the same way you don't like the K-var stuff. I haven't had a chance to fondle an AK 101 type a riffle though. But they sure do look good.

I'd be good to go with the Hogue grip too.

Mostly it was just how thin the buttstock and grip were. Made it feel like handling a sword which was neat but uncomfortable. So the Ace stock is good for you? It's a skeleton style stock right?

I'd be good to go with the Hogue grip too.

Mostly it was just how thin the buttstock and grip were. Made it feel like handling a sword which was neat but uncomfortable. So the Ace stock is good for you? It's a skeleton style stock right?

Not quite, it looks like this only longer.

l_2b7588283397433f9e702b86fe4c79de.jpg

But it seems to fit me pretty good. I'll probably end up cutting an inch or so off the length, any more and I think it be too short. However, I need more range time to see if I like it how it is or if I need to change it.

I feel you on the AK pistol grip thing though, I can't stand them. They don't fit my hands at all. And I have had good luck with all Hogue grips I have had, past and current. So they are next to try. The ergo feels ok but in my opinion looks odd on my gun.

ETA

Oh, another thing I like about my Ulrta Light is that I can keep all of my tools and cleaning kit in the tube. I have every thing to break the gun down to the bare minimum, and an extra shepherds crook.

Edited by thehopping1
Not quite, it looks like this only longer.

l_2b7588283397433f9e702b86fe4c79de.jpg

But it seems to fit me pretty good. I'll probably end up cutting an inch or so off the length, any more and I think it be too short. However, I need more range time to see if I like it how it is or if I need to change it.

I feel you on the AK pistol grip thing though, I can't stand them. They don't fit my hands at all. And I have had good luck with all Hogue grips I have had, past and current. So they are next to try. The ergo feels ok but in my opinion looks odd on my gun.

ETA

Oh, another thing I like about my Ulrta Light is that I can keep all of my tools and cleaning kit in the tube. I have every thing to break the gun down to the bare minimum, and an extra shepherds crook.

That thing looks tough as nails on there. Kind of the reason why I wanted to go with a K-var buttstock and grip over the set I've got now. I think the k-var set just looks intimidating because its mil spec. I really don't like the look of an ar 15 stock on an ak 47. But the feel of it was so much better. Feel wise I'm guessing it's similar to your stock. Wider butt against the shoulder. And a nice long area to get a cheek weld on. That stock is expensive isn't it?

That thing looks tough as nails on there. Kind of the reason why I wanted to go with a K-var buttstock and grip over the set I've got now. I think the k-var set just looks intimidating because its mil spec. I really don't like the look of an ar 15 stock on an ak 47. But the feel of it was so much better. Feel wise I'm guessing it's similar to your stock. Wider butt against the shoulder. And a nice long area to get a cheek weld on. That stock is expensive isn't it?

The but pad is about 1 1/4" x 4 1/2". It's not a huge foot print but I don't know what the K-var one is. At first I didn't want an AR stock on the x39, but this one I think came out good. And not too expensive, only about $65.

post-19224-1251695724_thumb.jpg

... So I went back to the ergo grip and the tapco 6 position collapsible stock. It makes the rifle so much more ergonomic. Is it just me or does anyone else have a similar opinion.

I would say it must be you, because unless you have a really long head, or a jaw that would make the Elephant Man whence, you will have a hard time getting a good cheek weld with a T6 on a AK.

... So I went back to the ergo grip and the tapco 6 position collapsible stock. It makes the rifle so much more ergonomic. Is it just me or does anyone else have a similar opinion.

I would say it must be you, because unless you have a really long head, or a jaw that would make the Elephant Man whence, you will have a hard time getting a good cheek weld with a T6 on a AK.

It could be that I'm not doing it right. But the stock's back is thinner than the tapco t6.

I'm all for being talked into the k-var buttstock. It's a bad ass looking piece of polymer and goes beautifully with the forend. It just doesn't seem as comfortable to shoulder. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

The grip is a no go for me though. I might try the hogue grip.

It could be that I'm not doing it right. But the stock's back is thinner than the tapco t6.

I'm all for being talked into the k-var buttstock. It's a bad ass looking piece of polymer and goes beautifully with the forend. It just doesn't seem as comfortable to shoulder. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

The grip is a no go for me though. I might try the hogue grip.

I am not a "restorer;" I could care less how "original" my gun looks. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it is just not me.

I am interested in what works for me, or in this case, you. If you have a solid contact point that some part of your head/face contacts naturally and allows you to quickly achieve the same sight picture every time I saw use that stock, no matter what it is.

As to the grip, whatever feels good in your hand, followed by what looks good to your eye would be my criteria, in that order.