I ran my first multi-gun match yesterday here in NE Florida(sepsa match)and I am officially hooked.They only do 4 a year in this area but as time permits I may drive a little to do more matches.I ran my DIY conversion yesterday and it performed flawlessly(post pics later).I was using #7 1/2 bird shot since we were only shooting steels yesterday with birdshot.I choked it down with the Polychoke and that helped on the stages that required steel to be engaged at 25ish yards.One of the stages had a very high round count for the shotgun and I was surprised that I beat everyone in my squad by a large margin(a few were running decked out Benelli M4's).

Anyhow,with all that said,some of the guys that do it more frequently said that they typically throw in a lot of slug transitioning to break up guys using mag fed guns.(Saigas).What method are you guys using to transition over to slugs that seems to work most effectively?I am assuming if the stage required a mix of birdshot and slugs to be fired from the same position I can run through the mags with birdshot first, then reload over to a mag of slugs.However,they made it sound like sometimes the course requires a lot of back and forth between the two loads on the go.

I can only speak to the courses I have run.

Usually there are a fewer slug targets to engage, so for example, if there was 4 slug targets I would load one mag with some birdshot and top off with 4-5 slugs. I would then engage the slug targets first. If I didn't miss and didn't need the extra slug I would just dump the extra slug into the last slug target.

The point is that I load enough slugs for the course and take those targets first. If they look like shots you can make then load just enough, take your time and don't miss. :smoke:

On a blind stage I just keep a mag loaded with slugs and switch to it, dump the extra birdshot/slug in the chamber into the appropriate target or into the backstop, and charge the chamber with the new mag.

Now, there are guys here that are much better than I, this is just what I do.

I keep a 5rd mag full of slugs to transition to. Or, if there are multiple transitions, a 10/12rd mag. Key here is, drop the birdshot mag, swap to slugs, shoot or rack birdshot round out of gun, engage slug target(s), then swap to birdshot and dump the slug in the chamber by shooting into the berm/racking the bolt.

Key here is you really need to practice or you'll end up dumping bird into slug targets and slug into bird targets..... yes, I know for a fact.

• 1 month later...

Hello all I am a new member but have lurked here for quite some time in an effort to get my Saiga running properly. I have encountered and overcome most all issues in reliability, feeding, -FTE you name it I have had it-and through extensive searching on this site have found the fix to all, so thank you all for your extensive knowledge base!

My goal was to make a multigun setup and my main difficulty was cycling light loads, and through many a trial and error have ended with:

Go gun puck

gasfixer gas plug

lightweight recoil and trigger spring (css)

krebs saftey

g2 FCG

SAW grip

standard ak poly stock

Tromix DIY trigger guard

Side mount scope mount (css)

eotech

I have the thing running on light loads ... low recoil, just cherry as far as I am concerned, and plan to use it in place of Benelli m1 next match... problem is now that its all said and done I know the next problem I will have is a slug stage. I have researched and am aware that firing heavy loads with the setup I have is a no-no and I am trying to find a fix. Any suggestions?

My first thought was to adjust the gas plug "on the fly" - but I think its a dumb idea.

Next was to redo the config with factory springs and shoot heavy all the time, which was not the original intent...

What are you guys doing?

Edit - hope this is not a post highjack? - thought it was same topic...

Edited by negev5021

Depending on the DISTANCE you have to shoot for these slug targets then what I would do is use a "low recoil" slug made by pretty much all the manufacturers. Around my area the most common is the Remington model. They are great out to 50-60 yards and then depending on your gun they may be good out to 100 yards. Also keep in mind the quantity of rounds you have to shoot. 1-2 high power slugs in a stage SHOULD NOT cause any problems. I shot a match last year with slug targets no less than 60 yards away and up to 128 yards. I used full power Remy Sluggers and never missed. The biggest stage with slugs had 9 rounds and there was another that had 5 rounds.

I am very interested in this topic from a tactical standpoint, more so than as a competitor. Thank you all for starting this thread, and I will be checking in periodically after doing my own testing on the range.

I want to experiment with my Saiga 12 with various combat reloads, as well as tactical reloads such as slug transitions. In an upcoming class, I plan on running 500 rounds of mixed shot/slug using a mag coupler setup, with the left mag holding slugs, and the right mag in the well with shot. The idea is that I won't use a saddle or speed rail for loose slug rounds. We'll see how it goes.

In regards to combat reloads, I cannot wait until the vendors have the lockback mod perfected for the S12. Some engineer is going to make money.

I have yet to compete with any of my Saigas, but I have alway planned on using five-rounders for slugs and 10-12s for birdshot. This seems like a practical rather than game-driven practice and allows instant and reliable distinction between slug and shot mags. I manually lock the bolt to the rear when I change mags so the previously-chambered round would already be extracted.

If you feel like you need more than five slugs at a time, you could always use some other variation (like transparent mags, or AGP/SGM/ProMag, or painted mags) but I figure slug use is the exception rather than the rule.

Personally, I would like to see a Three Gun match set up as "Zombie Apocalypse" where there aren't any silly attempts to make tube guns the equals of Saigas. Use whatever weapons and ammo you want but you have to make headshots at various ranges with a premium on speed. Start off with a drum, do all reloading on the move, have pop-ups at close range that must be engaged in X seconds... but I digress.

Edited by stiletto raggio

I have alway planned on using five-rounders for slugs and 10-12s for birdshot.

Yeah, I had the same thought of using a smaller mag for the slugs, but I have been workin' out, and do not plan on either swimming with it, or catching fire, so the more ammo the better!