Hearing Protection.. what do you use

What kind of hearing protection do you use  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of hearing protection do you use

• earplugs
    • earmuffs (regular)
    • earmuffs (electronic)
    • other (bullets, peanuts, moldable wax ect...)
    • nothing

>DELETED LINK<: And while they may not be the most high-quality Electromuffs around, for their $50-$60 price tag they are goddamn amazing. No latency between shot and muffling. And I can rock out!

HowardLeighImpact-Sports-003.jpg

Exactly the same muffs I just bought about 3 weeks ago. Got a set for myself and one of my shooting buddies for his b-day. I love the things! They amplify ambient sounds, and deaden sharp, sudden noises. They are freakin' fantastic for the cash outlay! :up:

Edited by MCASSgt New River
Non-Business Member Link
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THESE: And while they may not be the most high-quality Electromuffs around, for their $50-$60 price tag they are goddamn amazing. No latency between shot and muffling. And I can rock out!

I use plugs and muffs quite frequently. I have lost a fair amount of hearing over the years, anymore and I would not be able to do my job. So I baby my ears!

I used to have super hearing. But when I was younger, while I used regular muffs at indoor ranges, I used nothing when outside. I fired mostly magnum handgunds, .357, .41, and .44. That cost me about

Posted Images

It varies by what I'm shooting. There are times I use plugs and muffs together. Generally with handguns I use muffs, with rifles I prefer plugs since the muffs tend to get in the way. With my Saiga's it's either or both...

+1

Well i made it down to the "range" today with my new muffs, and i gotta say these things are awesome..

They are the ryobi tek4 electronic earmuffs.. I can hear people whisper from 20ft away, I can hear the scroll wheel on my mouse, and I can easily use my phone when placed close to my head..

They are great at muffling gunshots too, no need for any extra ear protection while firing a 12g or 7.62x39.. I wish i had a .50BMG to test lol

They have an auxiliary input for ipods/mp3 players/phones ect, and the audio quality is slightly better then I expected for earmuffs.

here are a few pics (taken with my cell phone)

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

in my mind they are well worth the $70, they are extremely lightweight and feel really comfortable on the ears.. I have 1/2 gauges in both ears, so most muffs are irritating to me

Hey presto z, can you get a decent cheek-weld on rifle/shotgun stocks while using those electronic muffs? They look a little too big to allow that.

i have no problem using them on my saiga with the tapco folder stock or with a Romanian Guard AK47.. but if you have a shorter stock like telescoping one, shoot with a chicken wing (elbow out) or have a fat head it may be an issue. the angle of your elbow can throw everything off aswell..

if you can shoot with cheap Winchester muffs then these shouldn't effect you, but every one is different.. some people cant shoot with any set of muffs since they tilt their neck alot from not being in the proper stance..

Electromuffs for me

+1. I also use the howard leight impact sport electronic earmuffs pictured below... like some of the other guys stated above. Its nice to be able to hear everything... especially because the outdoor range is 1 mile from the prison. Shoot anyone in orange and ask questions later. Its good practice anyway.

leightmuffsx535.jpg

Edited by pfmedic
Electromuffs for me

+1. I also use the howard leight impact sport electronic earmuffs pictured below... like some of the other guys stated above. Its nice to be able to hear everything... especially because the outdoor range is 1 mile from the prison. Shoot anyone in orange and ask questions later. Its good practice anyway.

I love them for how slim they are. I absolutely hate things in my ear so earplugs are out of the question.

But I also have a big round head so normal size muffs get in the way. These on the otherhand...

I always double up with ORANGE tapered foamies and my red mickey ears from wally world. The yellow foam EAR plugs are too short, and they wind up stuck in my ear canals too easily. Then people really look at me funny when I grab the needle nose pliers to pull them out. The orange ones have the added benefit of really cleaning the wax out of my ears. Much more so than the yellow ones.

I use Earmuffs (non electronic). I will be purchasing a good pair of electronic in the future though. My job has me around alot of helicopters with turbine engines and when I dont have any protection on me I use cigarette butts. Primitive but it works. (yes I am a Redneck and proud of it).

• 1 month later...

Cheap disposable foam plugs actually work pretty well, better than entry level muffs. Only thing to be careful about is that you have to insert the plugs properly. Roll it between your fingers to squish it down, and insert it into your ear canal. I have seen so many people over the years wearing foam plugs that are just barely inserted into their outer ears, and they're getting essentially zero protection.

Other cool thing about "disposable" foam plugs: you can wash and reuse them. Just stick 'em in a garment bag and wash in the washing machine.

fittingearplugs.gif

I use plugs and muffs quite frequently. I have lost a fair amount of hearing over the years, anymore and I would not be able to do my job. So I baby my ears!

+1

If I'm shooting skeet/sporting clays with my O/U, either a simple pair of plugs or ear muffs is what I'll wear. But whenever I trek to my rifle and pistol range, I always USE BOTH (ear plugs with muffs). Some of the guys at my range shoot some pretty large caliber boom sticks.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Gary

I use my old British military issue ear muffs and keep a bag of work issue foam plugs to hand out to friends if they forget to bring some ear defenders. I've never liked ear plugs when riding my bikes as it cuts out too much ambient noise - other vehicles can sneak up on you!

I use ear plugs. It is effective and also dont mess with my badass look when i shoot my shotgun. ;)

A tip for earprotection. If you dont have some thing to put on for any reason, chew some papernapking to make it wet, roll it in your finger and use it as earplug. Testing and verified. It can save your hearing in need.

opplanet-silencio-blue-earplugs-w-orange-cord-amp-smith-amp-wesson-case-46174.jpg

They hurt my ears after being put in a couple times, but I can't get a cheekweld with my cheapo HUGE muffs on a rifle.

I've been shooting this a lot this year, so it's no big deal on the wimpy ear protection.

DSC_0151-1.jpg

I need to score some decent plugs like those surefire ones, or start looking at slim electronic muffs.

• 1 year later...

This is one of the most over looked subjects on gun forums but one of the most important, and while properly used foam ear plugs cut out the most db's out of all the hearing protection out there, what is really important is just using hearing protection in the first place.

i skip hearing protection when firing my P22 with suppressor.

i use peltor electronic ear muffs when firing all else. ordered some surefire ep-6 ear plugs recently but haven't tried them out yet.

hearing protection could not be overemphasized. one time i forgot to put on my ear muffs (set them on the temples and not over the ears) and fired one shot from my .45. needless to say, my ears were still ringing while i was driving home from the range. and that's just a .45. i shudder at the thought of firing the S12 without ear protection.

hearing protection could not be overemphasized. one time i forgot to put on my ear muffs (set them on the temples and not over the ears) and fired one shot from my .45. needless to say, my ears were still ringing while i was driving home from the range. and that's just a .45. i shudder at the thought of firing the S12 without ear protection.

I did that once with an AR, though I had plugs in but I only had one in. I was very happy when the ringing finally went away, I was afraid it never would. I wear ear pro at concerts and similar loud events ever since I got told by a doctor after a hearing test "you should protect what is left of your hearing".