Hearing Protection.. what do you use

What kind of hearing protection do you use  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of hearing protection do you use

• earplugs
    • earmuffs (regular)
    • earmuffs (electronic)
    • other (bullets, peanuts, moldable wax ect...)
    • nothing

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THESE: And while they may not be the most high-quality Electromuffs around, for their $50-$60 price tag they are goddamn amazing. No latency between shot and muffling. And I can rock out!

I use plugs and muffs quite frequently. I have lost a fair amount of hearing over the years, anymore and I would not be able to do my job. So I baby my ears!

I used to have super hearing. But when I was younger, while I used regular muffs at indoor ranges, I used nothing when outside. I fired mostly magnum handgunds, .357, .41, and .44. That cost me about

Posted Images

I've been a range officer for three years, two at an indoor range and one at an outdoor. These are the best things in the whole world. I got them for free near the end of my time at the indoor range and thought I was gonna be all cool when I got to work with my new awesome ears. Turns out my new work sells them, gets visits from a rep from time to time, and every single employee has them already.

When the batteries start to fade the volume trails off, but otherwise with them turned up you can hear much better than without them. They're not uncomfortable at all and the 1/8" port is awesome for connecting our radios to. When they're on your hip and people are firing you can hear it but not always understand the walkies. The port volume isn't controlled by the headset volume knob either so if you want it turned all the way down you can still have your device turned up to a decent level. I love these things

THESE: And while they may not be the most high-quality Electromuffs around, for their $50-$60 price tag they are goddamn amazing. No latency between shot and muffling. And I can rock out!

HowardLeighImpact-Sports-003.jpg

http://store.ar15.com/store/product.html?cat=9&prod=206

I use these.

they are light, out of the way when shooting, small and foldable, so they dont take up alot of room in the shooting bag, work extremely well, in the middle of a hot range, i can talk to someone and hear them almost as well as my electric pro-ears, and 10X's less expensive. Overall a great buy. they make them without the AR15 badges, you just have to get them through sensgard or a dealer.

• 1 month later...

i use plugs mostly but imo its important to shoot sometimes w/o protection so when you need to use your weapon in a bad situation you can actually hear after you use it.

first time shooters w/o protection will have their ears ring all day and not hear very well but if you have shot few times w/o protection your ears can funtion properly after a gunshot

Both depending on what I'm shooting. Don't forget your glasses. I never wore either when I was younger and now have noticable hearing loss in my right ear. I also had metal removed from my eye twice in one year. I personally don't like the safety stuff but experience tells me I'm gonna use it.

Guide Gear cheapo electric muffs, or sometimes my old "mouse ears" from the Sub. If you think S-12's are loud - try standing a watch between 2 10,600 Cu/In Fairbanks diesels!

Protect your ears, those old man hearing aids cost 1,600$$! (not there yet - but its gonna happen one day!)

And those are the *cheap* hearing aids. My dad's ears set him back $3000, and those are for the music-tolerant variety!

I use the green Impact Sport electronic muffs. I wish I could find something with better noise reduction, but only the bulky ears give that, and they don't work with my gunstock. The Impact ears have the best NRR of all the slimline muffs.

My friends use the Ryobi electronic muffs, but were complaining about the muffs hitting the gunstock.

I've got a set of the Howard leights, fairly impressed by them. Also got a pack of the radians custom molded earplugs, they're rated at 26db and I picked up a second set so I can mold my earphones into them for when I ride my Harley. I hate cranking up my headphones as loud as they'll go to hear over the wind.