New Front Sight Base

This new fsb seems like it was invented by someone who thinks the Krebs fsb doesn't mount securely enough. Adding an additional mounting bolt increases the size of the fsb some.. but the designer seems to have gone beyond what would be strictly necessary and has significantly "beefed up" every dimension of this new product. This MAA fsb is 'uge!!!

I think I prefer my Krebs fsb, (and replacement rear ghost-ring sight, fuck the factory rear sight). It mounts securely enough, can be easily adjusted if I somehow knock it out of alignment, (since I left my factory bead on), and it doesn't weigh ~2 lbs, as it looks like the MAA fsb does. I have enough weight on the end of my barrel, thanks. I will say this for the MAA product though, it would make a handy bludgeon if you run out of ammo! :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

The MAA FSB weighs 2.2 OUNCES. The shipped PACKAGE from MAA might weigh 2 LBS.

22oz.jpg

I don't have a Krebs for comparison, and I'm not going to bad mouth them. From what I understand, they make a great sight. So does Dinzag. So do the Russians. So does MAA, in my opinion.

While the extra beefiness of the base might be overkill for some, I can tell you that once it was secured on my barrel, I wasn't able to shift the point of aim by banging the sight against a tree. While I didn't do baseball bat type swings, I was taking bark off and had to pick it (and some small wood pieces) out from in between the "wings" before shooting.

If anyone has ever trained with AK style weapons and did retention drills, you know how well the protective wings work against the side of someones neck. I can testify that it not only hurts, it FUCKING hurts. :cryss: This sight base is strong enough to do that without shifting the point of impact one bit.

Corbin

The MAA FSB weighs 2.2 OUNCES. The shipped PACKAGE from MAA might weigh 2 LBS.

I don't have a Krebs for comparison, and I'm not going to bad mouth them. From what I understand, they make a great sight. So does Dinzag. So do the Russians. So does MAA, in my opinion.

While the extra beefiness of the base might be overkill for some, I can tell you that once it was secured on my barrel, I wasn't able to shift the point of aim by banging the sight against a tree. While I didn't do baseball bat type swings, I was taking bark off and had to pick it (and some small wood pieces) out from in between the "wings" before shooting.

If anyone has ever trained with AK style weapons and did retention drills, you know how well the protective wings work against the side of someones neck. I can testify that it not only hurts, it FUCKING hurts. :cryss: This sight base is strong enough to do that without shifting the point of impact one bit.

Corbin

Ok Corbin, that's pretty definitive proof of the weight of the MAA fsb. However, it's still gotta weigh 2.5-3x more than the Krebs fsb.

Anyway, I'm sure it mounts extremely securely.. it just seems a bit overbuilt for my personal taste. I like my Krebs combat sights, (and I've already paid for em ;) ). This MAA product is ~$79 for a fsb only.. Krebs offers both a fsb and a replacement aperture, (superior), rear sight for ~$20 more. I see more value in the Krebs product(s). That's just my opinion, though.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I haven't "split any skulls" with it yet, but we'll see if I ever get the chance. On a side note, my Mom was attacked by a pit bull mix yesterday and had to stay overnight in the hospital. Got back today. If I had been there when she was attacked and I had my Saiga, I could tell you how the FSB worked on a skull (assuming there was anything left after unloading into the dog). She's recovering now, but her leg and ankle got tore up pretty bad. Won't be able to put any weight on it for probably a week I'm thinking.

Oh, by the way....... When I was first testing the FSB out, I initially left the original bead in place and lowered the FSB's post below the shotgun's point of aim with the existing sights. This allowed me to use the original sights for shot, then I could line up the bead and the post for longer range shots with slugs. Like this:

sighting.jpg

It worked pretty well actually.

Corbin

I haven't "split any skulls" with it yet, but we'll see if I ever get the chance. On a side note, my Mom was attacked by a pit bull mix yesterday and had to stay overnight in the hospital. Got back today. If I had been there when she was attacked and I had my Saiga, I could tell you how the FSB worked on a skull (assuming there was anything left after unloading into the dog). She's recovering now, but her leg and ankle got tore up pretty bad. Won't be able to put any weight on it for probably a week I'm thinking.

Oh, by the way....... When I was first testing the FSB out, I initially left the original bead in place and lowered the FSB's post below the shotgun's point of aim with the existing sights. This allowed me to use the original sights for shot, then I could line up the bead and the post for longer range shots with slugs. Like this:

sighting.jpg

It worked pretty well actually.

Corbin

Clever...I like that idea.