Homemade Butt Stocks??

Good luck, those rubber pieces are formed in a mold, they are not a "coating".

The only thing I know of which you can use to coat something in rubber is Plasti Dip, which is commonly used to add or replace a rubber handle on a tool... though I haven't done any extensive research into rubber coating, since I have little use for it.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Good luck, those rubber pieces are formed in a mold, they are not a "coating".

The only thing I know of which you can use to coat something in rubber is Plasti Dip, which is commonly used to add or replace a rubber handle on a tool... though I haven't done any extensive research into rubber coating, since I have little use for it.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Yeah, I realized that just as I was reading your post. But those pieces I can form and bend from misc. plastic and such I have. I would want to rubber coating applied to the main body of the butt stock.

Ok, so I just traced the original buttstock onto paper and cut it. Then took the printout of the A1 buttstock, and cut it out as well.

Just traced it to size, onto a piece of card board.

Plane on getting it traced onto some wood this weekend and getting the rough product done.

I will post pics as I work through this.

Ok, so I just traced the original buttstock onto paper and cut it. Then took the printout of the A1 buttstock, and cut it out as well.

Plane on getting it traced onto some wood this weekend and getting the rough product done.

Thats how it starts,put the idea on paper.

I ended up making some templates out of hardboard after I drew them up so I have them if I decide to make more.

One thing I found fast tho is that once you get the stock roughed out and before you shape anything,get the stock mounted in your rifle.Its a lot easier to do any routing or sawing while there are still flat surfaces on the wood.

Once its fit,then knock your socks off shaping the rest of it.Plus that way you can work the cheek rest right in while youre going at it and it will be fitted to you best.

Card board mock ups can lead to good things..

Ok, so here are the pics I promised.

First and second pics are of the original butt stock.

Third is the paper trace of the original and the new design.

Fourth through eighth are of the new wood stock I just finished roughing out. Completed in about an hour this morning. I have no formal wood crafting training, and no professional tools.

Last of of the only tools I have used so far. Only other will be a sander for shaping.

I will make sure tonight that the forward portion of the new butt stock will slide into the rear of the rifle. As soon as that is confirmed, I will be shaping the butt stock, coating it with a hard plastic/rubber coating, fabricating an adjustable rear end and bending some hard plastic for an adjustable cheek piece.

Tell me what you think.

post-17784-1252681399_thumb.jpg

post-17784-1252681411_thumb.jpg

post-17784-1252681429_thumb.jpg

looks good. You might try going to a truck accessory place and having them spray rhino liner on the grip. For all I know they sell rhino liner touch up size packages too.

That has to have a fairly similar look and feel if you mask it off carefully first and then do a neat job of trimming it with a razor.

Ok, so I am about 90% complete. I need to fabricate and install the rear butt pad. I am going to use a wood piece, and use 2 rods with springs on the out portion to act as a recoil buffer, and a bolt to keep it in place. Going to scrap the cheek rest, as I discovered it is not needed.

post-17784-12536261888582_thumb.jpg

post-17784-12536262018708_thumb.jpg