Stupid things you have done with your Saiga

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The wife had an AD a little while back with my S12. She had fired birdshot with no problem. Started her out with one round in five round mag at a time. All was going well so I said lets put some O

Oh good God, stupid things I have done with guns. This is going to take a while. None of this is Saiga related, seeing how I grew up in California. Alas...   ----------   I have this little Mos

Posted Images

I guess it's my turn to embarrass myself. I decided to convert both my 12 and 7.62 at the same time. Not a bad idea, while the paint is drying on one I can tear down the other. Everything goes pretty smooth, even the BHO's. I go to install the bolt carrier into the 12 and I just can't get it to line up. Ten minutes pass and I still can't get the damn thing to go in. I'm dropping F bombs, the dogs are hiding because they think they're in trouble, when I look over at the corner of my desk and see the bolt carrier for the 12 sitting there. Yup, my dumbass was getting frustrated because I couldn't get the 7.62 bolt to go into the 12. Top that for stupidity.

Edited by GerryV
I'm dropping F bombs, the dogs are hiding because they think they're in trouble, when I look over at the corner of my desk and see the bolt carrier for the 12 sitting there. Yup, my dumbass was getting frustrated because I couldn't get the 7.62 bolt to go into the 12. Top that for stupidity.

:lol: good shit right there. :)

That is what I love about the Saiga-12... it can use a great number of AK parts without modification. Sometimes it works against you though. :)

Still waiting for someone to accidentally install the 7.62 dust cover on the 12ga and run into ejection problems. No one has owned up to pulling that stunt yet. :P

How about .. anytime I do work on pretty much anything, I wind up cutting up my knuckles. Installed new starter this weekend, three cuts on my right hand! Messing with FCG, leads slam finger with hammer or nick finger with sharp end of the spring wire. There have been so many ways I've injured myself, when trying to fix something.

One time I was using a drill press with a dowel to turn some 16-gauge wire, the end of the wire got caught on my glove, tipping the press over and jamming the wire into my thumb... that sucked.

I don't remember what part it was I was drilling on, but I was being lazy, using a dull drill bit (last hole, no need to put in a new one :rolleyes: ) and not putting the part in a vise (holding part by hand, it won't take long :rolleyes: ), and the bit ran on me, right up my forearm and into it just a little bit. Not too deep, but enough to leave an exclamation-point shaped scar on my left forearm!

I've caught a couple of hammer springs and gotten my first digit smashed by the hammer while FCG function testing, too.

Good fun, good fun.

I don't remember what part it was I was drilling on, but I was being lazy, using a dull drill bit (last hole, no need to put in a new one :rolleyes: ) and not putting the part in a vise (holding part by hand, it won't take long :rolleyes: ), and the bit ran on me, right up my forearm and into it just a little bit. Not too deep, but enough to leave an exclamation-point shaped scar on my left forearm!

Hmm sounds like something I did not to long ago. Mine made this wicked cool scar that runs down my left index finger, and I can tell the weather is changing now because my finger burns when the pressure changes. Cool huh?

th_IMG_0730.jpg

So, am I the only one who found the "Sweet Spot" between the charging handle and the Halo rail???

Corbin better get up in here with his Saiga stigmata....

I had the ex girlfriend wearing the cleavage baring top at the range problem before. She was waving the glock around, finger still on the trigger trying to get the hot brass out. Learning the lesson from this time, I spent 5 minutes on clothing and boob safety with my buddy's wife, and sure enough, she doesn't listen to me, so when she shoots the glock, she catches a hot one in the cleavage and waves the gun around again, a lot less than the ex, but still enough to cause the starfish to pucker.

Oh and as I was standing next to her, some brass ejected into my cheek and bounced up under my eye protection. Fun times.

Ladies, wear boobie covering shirts at the range. Thanks.

The wife had an AD a little while back with my S12.

She had fired birdshot with no problem.

Started her out with one round in five round mag at a time.

All was going well so I said lets put some OO buck in her and let her try that.

I stood directly behind her and again only one round at a time. She was doing great and having a good time

so I said lets fill her up and placed five clays on the berm about twenty feet away.

Bang, the first clay disintegrates. Bang the next one goes boom. Bang the third one is toast.

At that point the third round ejects and hits her bare forearm. (She shoots left handed).

When the empty round hit her forearm it burned her just enough that she release the shotty with her right hand.

At that point the muzzle swings down to the ground and she grips tight with her left hand on the PG (and trigger) and BANG.

A six inch hole appears in the ground about 18 inched from her foot. With that the muzzle comes back up from the recoil

and I step forward and regain control of the gun. Scared the shit out of both of us.

All she could say through her tears was "I didn't want to drop your gun"

I had to wipe the mud spots off her face that were kicked up by the blast.

Make sure you women wear long sleeve shirts as well as cleavage protection. Especially left hand shooters.

• Like 1
A six inch hole appears in the ground about 18 inched from her foot.

Make sure you women wear long sleeve shirts as well as cleavage protection. Especially left hand shooters.

Good lesson to learn here. And regarding the hole, a friend of mine shot my mauser into the mud once... i knew what was going to happen so i stepped back. He shoots at the mud about 15 feet away from him and HOLY SHIT... it blew a huge crater and football sized clods of mud started raining down from the sky. Shooting at the water is ok (provided that it is not frozen), but for the love of god do not shoot at the ground up close.

Stupidest thing I've ever done with my Saigas?

Bought one in the first place. :ded:

Effin' steel money pits!

:D

Trying to pull off the Gas Tube BEFORE taking out the bolt carrier.............DOH!!!

I'm guilty of this one as well. :ded:

The hammer spring drew blood on multiple occasions. I'm a bleeder.

So, am I the only one who found the "Sweet Spot" between the charging handle and the Halo rail???

Corbin better get up in here with his Saiga stigmata....

You're not the only one Juggs. Another reason I'm glad I ditched the Halo.

Not Saiga related, but one time I tuned the sear engagement on my bolt action .22 rifle WAAYYYY too light. Had a negligent discharge straight up into the air after chambering a round and closing the bolt. The sear never caught. Fortunately I was way out in the woods and observing the 4 rules. Quick adjustment with a hex wrench and it was back to being safe.

Was pressing a barrel out of a Yugo trunnion with my shop press, it was'nt moving fast enough to suit me so I just kept cranking on the jack handle, being from Kentucky I like to go barefoot as much as possible and was that day, when the barrel finally let go it shot down and dead centered my big toe splitting the nail all the way down. Was sitting/leaning on a stool and blood shot high enough to get on my right knee. Kinda funny (looking back on it).

Heh... i remember doing work on some FALs, was in a shop and had the receiver locked down in a special jig while I was trying to pop the barrel loose... We had a long steel arm (3.5 feet long) or so, attached to the wrench that was breaking the barrels loose. Most of the time they were not much of a hassel... but this ONE GUN....

I ended up standing on the arm and it would not budge. I was bout 200lbs heavier at the time, around 360lbs... so that's about 1200ft-lb of torque... no dice...

So I jumped on the bar.. twice... no avail. The second try, I flexed the bar enough that it bounced and threw me off balance and I landed flat on my ass. On the third hop it finally gave... and when it broke loose, it was LOUD... the gun shop owner came running out to see what had happened. He thought that there had been a discharge. LMAO

Heh... i remember doing work on some FALs, was in a shop and had the receiver locked down in a special jig while I was trying to pop the barrel loose... We had a long steel arm (3.5 feet long) or so, attached to the wrench that was breaking the barrels loose. Most of the time they were not much of a hassel... but this ONE GUN....

I ended up standing on the arm and it would not budge. I was bout 200lbs heavier at the time, around 360lbs... so that's about 1200ft-lb of torque... no dice...

So I jumped on the bar.. twice... no avail. The second try, I flexed the bar enough that it bounced and threw me off balance and I landed flat on my ass. On the third hop it finally gave... and when it broke loose, it was LOUD... the gun shop owner came running out to see what had happened. He thought that there had been a discharge. LMAO

What the hell man, you lost 200lbs? How'd you do it?

Oh good God, stupid things I have done with guns. This is going to take a while. None of this is Saiga related, seeing how I grew up in California. Alas...

----------

I have this little Mossberg M341 bolt action .22 that was given to me when I was 14. Understand now that the trigger guards on these old Mossbergs are made of plastic and are held directly to the wood stock by a pair of wood screws. When I got the rifle, I was told that there was something wrong with it and it needed some maintenance. Later that night I tried cycling live ammunition through it to determine exactly what the problem was. After four or five rounds, the bolt ceases up; I can't unlock much less open it. I flip the gun over and remove the trigger guard to see what's wrong. As it turns out, there were loose parts in the action interfering with function. Specifically, the captive E-clip on the end of the main spring guide, and one of the screws holding the trigger group to the receiver, had both come off and were rattling around inside. So now after I removed them, I'm sitting there with a loaded rifle with no trigger guard sitting upside down on my lap, and I had an ADD moment. Grabbed the bare trigger with my fist and pulled it back... and now there was a hole right through one of the support legs of my fish tank stand, through both sides of the wall, and into the back of my grandmother's dresser.

Boy did I get it for that...

A week later, Dad and I sit down to actually fix the gun; reinstall the loose parts. He goes to disassemble the gun. Remember that the E-clip from the end of the mainspring guide is off? Well it was a good thing he was wearing safety glasses because that mainspring shot out of there with enough force to put a crack in one of the lenses.

----------

When I was 18, I ran my 10/22 into the ground. I walked around the outdoor rifle range every day scrounging every piece of unfired .22 LR I could find, no matter how badly corroded, and kept them all in a tin can. I then shot about 800 rounds of that stuff through my 10/22 without cleaning. The rifle took serious issue with this and refused to function worth a damn anymore. I was having failures to cycle simply by virtue of how dirty the chamber was; blowback pressure could not overcome friction with the chamber wall. Also, a lot of failures to go fully into battery, and (due to buildup in the extractor channel) failures to extract. At one point I had a round I thought was a missfire, would not extract, refused to come out prying with a knife tip, and I didn't have a cleaning rod with me at the range to push it out. I took the gun home as-is and went to strip it down and remove the trigger group so that I could better get at the stuck casing through the magazine well. Well, to remove the standard 10/22 stock, you need to hold the safety crossbolt in the middle of it's range of movement, half-way between safe and fire. The habit I had gotten in for doing that was to dry-fire the gun and then push the safety back on (which can't be done when the hammer is decocked, so it would sit at half-way) to free up one hand.

That round wasn't a missfire; when I tried to fire it at the range, the bolt wasn't closing into battery. This time it did. I went to dry fire the gun and that "missfire" shot a nice hole in the ceiling, and ejected just fine.

----------

So, this one time, I took a friend from high school out shooting in the desert with me. We had a slightly sporterized Lee Enfield #4 Mk.1 and a few cartons of very, very old surplus ammo. This stuff was hangfiring for three or four seconds, two out of every three shots. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is, we were out in the desert, directly under the landing pattern for the local air force base. A plane flies over us at low altitude, Matt gets worried that we're the're gonna see us and send the cops out or something, so he tries to hide the gun. ...we're in the middle of the desert. The only thing to hide the gun behind is himself, which he does, with the butt against the ground, muzzle up, flat against his body, pointed directly at his chin, and the gun still has a round in the chamber. I freak out because of the massive safety breech, and grab the gun away from him by the barrel. Keep in mind that most of the forend has been cut away by the previous owner, and we just put thirty rounds of .303 down the pipe. Don't do that, it burns real bad.

----------

Another time I went shooting out in the same desert area, I had just bought a box of Winchester Universal shotshells for plinking. Only, when I got to the range, I realized I had bought a case of 20 gauge shells for my 12 gauge shotguns. Not to be outdone, and realizing I had several tools at my disposal including a 3/16" punch and that the ground was littered with fired 12 gauge hulls, I proceeded to MacGuyver up some usable ammo. I cut the star crimp on a 20g shell open, poured the shot into one container, threw the wad away, poured the powder into another container, and used the 3/16" flat punch to drive out the live primer. Deprimed a fired 12 gauge shell, cut the original crimping off, put in the live primer, poured in the powder, packed a piece of card wad (cut from a box of Actifed) over the charge, packed in some tissue paper over that, another card wad, poured in the shot, topped with one more card wad, and sealed with superglue. I did them one at a time so as not to mix powder or shot charges. Believe it or not, these things actually worked, most of the time. On some of them They weren't packed down tight enough, or I made a mess while trying to do it and lost too much of the powder charge, and got a half-hearted "fump" noise from the gun with pellets hitting the ground ten feet in front of me, or just rolling out the end of the barrel.

The scary thing, though, is that I went ADD while doing it on some of the shells and drove in the first card wad before pouring the powder charge in. in that case, I had to use a needle to pull the card wad back out, in the process putting several very small holes in it. When I got the cartridges back together and fired them, the propellant blast got through the holes in the card and lit the tissue paper wadding on fire. This became quite evident as I was shooting around twilight time and my shotgun was inexplicably firing tracers. Being that I was in an area with no humidity and lots of dead dry brush, I decided it was a good idea to stop.

----------

I used to have this field artillery piece that Baikal and EAA had the nerve to call a double shotgun. Twenty-eight point five inches of barrel with fixed M and F chokes, hammerless, double triggers, textured hard plastic buttplate with no recoil pad. I managed to light off a pair of 1oz slugs at exactly the same time. The recoil was so immense that the texture of the buttplate was imprinted in my shoulder through a cotton t-shirt deep enough to draw blood. I believe you could actually make out the mirror image of the word "Baikal" in my skin. It actually looked kinda cool, checkering in the skin, but it HURT LIKE CRAZY for the next several days.

----------

I also used to own an H&K HK770 rifle. Very nice semi .308; same roller-delayed system as their other guns, but in a two-piece billet steel receiver with a one-piece walnut stock. Three round detachable magazine. Very fancy. One time I tried bump-firing it; one in the pipe plus three in the mag, I hook my thumb through the trigger guard and into the belt loop on my jeans, pull forward on the forend, and BOOM-BOOM-CLICK. I look down to realize that this method doesn't work so well when the magazine release button is located in the front of the trigger guard.

----------

Getting the end segment of your index finger caught between the inside of the trap door and the cleaning multitool on an SKS hurts. Doing it repeatedly makes you not want to clean the gun anymore.

----------

I have this little Ithaca single-shot .22 rifle, somewhat like a Martini action but with an external, manually cocked hammer, called an M49. My first gun actually. It ejects fired cases up the breech block ramp with quite a bit of power so, if you don't roll the rifle off to the side, they will hit you in the forehead or the eye.

One thing I started doing with it one time was using it to launch fired 12 gauge shells like rifle grenades. I'd slice a slot down one side of the shell to go around the front sight and slide them over the muzzle, leaving about a one inch gap between the muzzle and the head of the shell. I fired standard ammo and the bullets would blast a hole clean through the head of the shell, but that plus the gas pressure escaping the muzzle would propel the shell a good hundred and fifty yards downrange. After a few shots, though, I realized that the shell was deflecting gas, unburnt powder, and bits of plastic back at me and sandblasting my whole body. I was wearing safety glasses of course, so that wasn't an issue, but my hands, arms, and face itched really bad for a couple days after doing that.

----------

You know how they have those non-overlapping forends for pump shotguns? I had one of those on my Remington 870. Pinching the palm of your hand between the back of the forend and the receiver leaves a very substantial blood blister that doesn't go away for a long time.

----------

Grand finale:

Again when I was 18, I was messing around with my Orion 12 gauge flare gun like a moron. Loaded it, set it down, forgot about it, came back later, didn't check the chamber, "dry-fired" the gun, and then learned how to fly. I'm very lucky that the first hit was on my cork bulletin board. Judging by the size of the crater it made, if it had hit bare drywall on the first contact, it would have done into the wall and not come out the other side, and have burned the house down. Instead, however, you know that scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where they fire off that pistol inside the tank and it bouces around several times without stopping or seeming to slow down? Yeah, that's basically what happened. Somehow it missed me entirely, but it did knock out my table lamp, and eventually came to a rest on the carpet between where my feet had been. I, in the mean time, did a back flip all the way across to the other side of my bed for cover.

Now, those things are made of the same stuff that common railroad fusees/highway emergency flares are made of; strontium nitrate, potassium perchlorate, sulfur, and sawdust. Anyone who has ever burned one of those knows that particular smell they produce, and this was the same. So, I'm lying there behind my bed while the lamp has been knocked out, but it's not dark because of the orange-red glow of the flare. As this is happening I recite to myself what's labeled on the package: "Flare burns for six seconds." Flare goes out. "Oh thank god."

"...my carpet is on fire." Again over the bed I fly and stop the carpet out. Now my room is completely full of smoke. The noise doesn't wake up my Dad immediately, but I know it stirred him enough that he would get up in 15 minutes to go to the bathroom, and with that I stuffed a towel up under the door to prevent smoke from escaping into the hallway. I opened my windows and sat there rehashing the event in my mind and freaking out for the next several hours as the smoke dissipated. After Dad left for work, I drove to Wally World and bought five bottles of Febreze and another pack of flare gun shells (put one with the flare gun and hid the rest for plausible deniability because, hey, I still had the same number of shells the gun came with, right?). They didn't find out about the burn mark until a couple years later, and I passed it off as an electrical fire having blown up a computer power supply.

----------

All of this has taught me a few things, and changed my personality quite a bit as well. For one thing, I don't scare very easily anymore. Also, I am super anal retentive about gun safety now.

And keep in mind, these are only just the stupid things I've done with guns. It is amazing I am still alive. :cryss::ded:

• Like 1
Oh good God, stupid things I have done with guns. This is going to take a while. None of this is Saiga related, seeing how I grew up in California. Alas...

----------

I have this little Mossberg M341 bolt action .22 that was given to me when I was 14. Understand now that the trigger guards on these old Mossbergs are made of plastic and are held directly to the wood stock by a pair of wood screws. When I got the rifle, I was told that there was something wrong with it and it needed some maintenance. Later that night I tried cycling live ammunition through it to determine exactly what the problem was. After four or five rounds, the bolt ceases up; I can't unlock much less open it. I flip the gun over and remove the trigger guard to see what's wrong. As it turns out, there were loose parts in the action interfering with function. Specifically, the captive E-clip on the end of the main spring guide, and one of the screws holding the trigger group to the receiver, had both come off and were rattling around inside. So now after I removed them, I'm sitting there with a loaded rifle with no trigger guard sitting upside down on my lap, and I had an ADD moment. Grabbed the bare trigger with my fist and pulled it back... and now there was a hole right through one of the support legs of my fish tank stand, through both sides of the wall, and into the back of my grandmother's dresser.

Boy did I get it for that...

A week later, Dad and I sit down to actually fix the gun; reinstall the loose parts. He goes to disassemble the gun. Remember that the E-clip from the end of the mainspring guide is off? Well it was a good thing he was wearing safety glasses because that mainspring shot out of there with enough force to put a crack in one of the lenses.

----------

When I was 18, I ran my 10/22 into the ground. I walked around the outdoor rifle range every day scrounging every piece of unfired .22 LR I could find, no matter how badly corroded, and kept them all in a tin can. I then shot about 800 rounds of that stuff through my 10/22 without cleaning. The rifle took serious issue with this and refused to function worth a damn anymore. I was having failures to cycle simply by virtue of how dirty the chamber was; blowback pressure could not overcome friction with the chamber wall. Also, a lot of failures to go fully into battery, and (due to buildup in the extractor channel) failures to extract. At one point I had a round I thought was a missfire, would not extract, refused to come out prying with a knife tip, and I didn't have a cleaning rod with me at the range to push it out. I took the gun home as-is and went to strip it down and remove the trigger group so that I could better get at the stuck casing through the magazine well. Well, to remove the standard 10/22 stock, you need to hold the safety crossbolt in the middle of it's range of movement, half-way between safe and fire. The habit I had gotten in for doing that was to dry-fire the gun and then push the safety back on (which can't be done when the hammer is decocked, so it would sit at half-way) to free up one hand.

That round wasn't a missfire; when I tried to fire it at the range, the bolt wasn't closing into battery. This time it did. I went to dry fire the gun and that "missfire" shot a nice hole in the ceiling, and ejected just fine.

----------

So, this one time, I took a friend from high school out shooting in the desert with me. We had a slightly sporterized Lee Enfield #4 Mk.1 and a few cartons of very, very old surplus ammo. This stuff was hangfiring for three or four seconds, two out of every three shots. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is, we were out in the desert, directly under the landing pattern for the local air force base. A plane flies over us at low altitude, Matt gets worried that we're the're gonna see us and send the cops out or something, so he tries to hide the gun. ...we're in the middle of the desert. The only thing to hide the gun behind is himself, which he does, with the butt against the ground, muzzle up, flat against his body, pointed directly at his chin, and the gun still has a round in the chamber. I freak out because of the massive safety breech, and grab the gun away from him by the barrel. Keep in mind that most of the forend has been cut away by the previous owner, and we just put thirty rounds of .303 down the pipe. Don't do that, it burns real bad.

----------

Another time I went shooting out in the same desert area, I had just bought a box of Winchester Universal shotshells for plinking. Only, when I got to the range, I realized I had bought a case of 20 gauge shells for my 12 gauge shotguns. Not to be outdone, and realizing I had several tools at my disposal including a 3/16" punch and that the ground was littered with fired 12 gauge hulls, I proceeded to MacGuyver up some usable ammo. I cut the star crimp on a 20g shell open, poured the shot into one container, threw the wad away, poured the powder into another container, and used the 3/16" flat punch to drive out the live primer. Deprimed a fired 12 gauge shell, cut the original crimping off, put in the live primer, poured in the powder, packed a piece of card wad (cut from a box of Actifed) over the charge, packed in some tissue paper over that, another card wad, poured in the shot, topped with one more card wad, and sealed with superglue. I did them one at a time so as not to mix powder or shot charges. Believe it or not, these things actually worked, most of the time. On some of them They weren't packed down tight enough, or I made a mess while trying to do it and lost too much of the powder charge, and got a half-hearted "fump" noise from the gun with pellets hitting the ground ten feet in front of me, or just rolling out the end of the barrel.

The scary thing, though, is that I went ADD while doing it on some of the shells and drove in the first card wad before pouring the powder charge in. in that case, I had to use a needle to pull the card wad back out, in the process putting several very small holes in it. When I got the cartridges back together and fired them, the propellant blast got through the holes in the card and lit the tissue paper wadding on fire. This became quite evident as I was shooting around twilight time and my shotgun was inexplicably firing tracers. Being that I was in an area with no humidity and lots of dead dry brush, I decided it was a good idea to stop.

----------

I used to have this field artillery piece that Baikal and EAA had the nerve to call a double shotgun. Twenty-eight point five inches of barrel with fixed M and F chokes, hammerless, double triggers, textured hard plastic buttplate with no recoil pad. I managed to light off a pair of 1oz slugs at exactly the same time. The recoil was so immense that the texture of the buttplate was imprinted in my shoulder through a cotton t-shirt deep enough to draw blood. I believe you could actually make out the mirror image of the word "Baikal" in my skin. It actually looked kinda cool, checkering in the skin, but it HURT LIKE CRAZY for the next several days.

----------

I also used to own an H&K HK770 rifle. Very nice semi .308; same roller-delayed system as their other guns, but in a two-piece billet steel receiver with a one-piece walnut stock. Three round detachable magazine. Very fancy. One time I tried bump-firing it; one in the pipe plus three in the mag, I hook my thumb through the trigger guard and into the belt loop on my jeans, pull forward on the forend, and BOOM-BOOM-CLICK. I look down to realize that this method doesn't work so well when the magazine release button is located in the front of the trigger guard.

----------

Getting the end segment of your index finger caught between the inside of the trap door and the cleaning multitool on an SKS hurts. Doing it repeatedly makes you not want to clean the gun anymore.

----------

I have this little Ithaca single-shot .22 rifle, somewhat like a Martini action but with an external, manually cocked hammer, called an M49. My first gun actually. It ejects fired cases up the breech block ramp with quite a bit of power so, if you don't roll the rifle off to the side, they will hit you in the forehead or the eye.

One thing I started doing with it one time was using it to launch fired 12 gauge shells like rifle grenades. I'd slice a slot down one side of the shell to go around the front sight and slide them over the muzzle, leaving about a one inch gap between the muzzle and the head of the shell. I fired standard ammo and the bullets would blast a hole clean through the head of the shell, but that plus the gas pressure escaping the muzzle would propel the shell a good hundred and fifty yards downrange. After a few shots, though, I realized that the shell was deflecting gas, unburnt powder, and bits of plastic back at me and sandblasting my whole body. I was wearing safety glasses of course, so that wasn't an issue, but my hands, arms, and face itched really bad for a couple days after doing that.

----------

You know how they have those non-overlapping forends for pump shotguns? I had one of those on my Remington 870. Pinching the palm of your hand between the back of the forend and the receiver leaves a very substantial blood blister that doesn't go away for a long time.

----------

Grand finale:

Again when I was 18, I was messing around with my Orion 12 gauge flare gun like a moron. Loaded it, set it down, forgot about it, came back later, didn't check the chamber, "dry-fired" the gun, and then learned how to fly. I'm very lucky that the first hit was on my cork bulletin board. Judging by the size of the crater it made, if it had hit bare drywall on the first contact, it would have done into the wall and not come out the other side, and have burned the house down. Instead, however, you know that scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where they fire off that pistol inside the tank and it bouces around several times without stopping or seeming to slow down? Yeah, that's basically what happened. Somehow it missed me entirely, but it did knock out my table lamp, and eventually came to a rest on the carpet between where my feet had been. I, in the mean time, did a back flip all the way across to the other side of my bed for cover.

Now, those things are made of the same stuff that common railroad fusees/highway emergency flares are made of; strontium nitrate, potassium perchlorate, sulfur, and sawdust. Anyone who has ever burned one of those knows that particular smell they produce, and this was the same. So, I'm lying there behind my bed while the lamp has been knocked out, but it's not dark because of the orange-red glow of the flare. As this is happening I recite to myself what's labeled on the package: "Flare burns for six seconds." Flare goes out. "Oh thank god."

"...my carpet is on fire." Again over the bed I fly and stop the carpet out. Now my room is completely full of smoke. The noise doesn't wake up my Dad immediately, but I know it stirred him enough that he would get up in 15 minutes to go to the bathroom, and with that I stuffed a towel up under the door to prevent smoke from escaping into the hallway. I opened my windows and sat there rehashing the event in my mind and freaking out for the next several hours as the smoke dissipated. After Dad left for work, I drove to Wally World and bought five bottles of Febreze and another pack of flare gun shells (put one with the flare gun and hid the rest for plausible deniability because, hey, I still had the same number of shells the gun came with, right?). They didn't find out about the burn mark until a couple years later, and I passed it off as an electrical fire having blown up a computer power supply.

----------

All of this has taught me a few things, and changed my personality quite a bit as well. For one thing, I don't scare very easily anymore. Also, I am super anal retentive about gun safety now.

And keep in mind, these are only just the stupid things I've done with guns. It is amazing I am still alive. :cryss::ded:

You sound dangerous to be around!! Could possibly write a book even! :)

What the hell man, you lost 200lbs? How'd you do it?

I started riding my bike to work. I was working overnights doing manual labor for a while (ok, i'll say it... i took up a job working at Wal-Mart working in the frozen dept.)... It was 10miles each way, and I was riding to-from work 5 days a week. Kinda surprising what 100miles/wk on a bike will do.

But my metabolism is really really slow, so I still have to watch what i eat... big pain in ass.

But back to guns!!!

I was shooting some clays at the range one day and instead of shooting at the benches first to make sure that my red dot was still zeroed, I went right to the clay launchers... I took my first shot and dusted the clay... but damn it felt like the gun kicked harder than normal... didn't think anything of it.. i was upset that I missed... took my second shot.. WHAM... the clay broke into 3 big pieces... again, the kick was unusually strong... At this point I realized that something was wrong. I pull out the mag and.. yup... I had my home-defense mag loaded. The first round was a slug, the second round was 15-pellet 00-Buck.

So in a way, I am happy that I tagged a clay with 00-Buck, and may have nicked the clay with a slug. Poor gun went through both rounds on gas setting #2, but no damage was observed. Now I clearly mark my homedefense mag with that blue painters tape so that it does not get mixed up. :)

Hey all. It's been awhile, but when I heard about this thread I had to say something, like, other than "Hi."

I've had ... two, negligent discharges. Both were with Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight 12 Guage shotguns. First time, I was very new to shooting (and young). I tried to fire it with the safety on. Obviously that didn't work. I thought something was wrong, so I sat down (keeping the muzzle pointed down range and up). I thought I was putting the safety on before I depressed the slide-lock to cycle it manually. Well, of course I was taking the safety off and in the process brushed the trigger with my finger. Goddamn that thing has a hair-trigger. At least it was pointed skyward. After that, my finger never ever touched a trigger I wasn't pulling ever again. Take two was a different gun, same model. I had it loaded to capacity, and was unloading it for the purposes of cleaning. I forgot the cartridge in the chamber. When the bolt is engaged, the barrel can't be removed. I was having trouble with removing said barrel for that very reason. Then, I remembered the bolt had to be retracted. Can't do that while it's cocked, so I pulled the tirgger and a 0.729" hole appeared in the ceiling. Well, there was noise too, but it was suprised it wasn't louder. Shouldn't have been. It was an Aguilla Mini-Shell. One and a half inch, 7/8 oz. lead Minnie Ball looking slug. I had been in the basement. The slug punched a hole through the ceiling/living room floor, entered and exited a reclining chair, penetrated the living room ceiling, and came to a stop underneath the shingles on the roof. This was from an 18" unchoked barrel. I beat myself up thoroughly for that one. Up until that point, I thought it was ok to go without checking the chamber of a gun that I'd been holding and knew the status of. I learned from this that it's possible to *forget* the status of a gun you're holding. Ever since, I check chambers regardless of who's looked at it, whether or not I've been watching it the whole time it hasn't been in my hands. Other people think I'm paranoid when I check like that. I just tell them it's a habit.

This one is a bit more funny, and stupid. I decided to try shooting dad' 45-70 trap-door springfield carbine *one-handed.* The recoil wasn't bad, apart from the gun twisting itself up out of my hand. Yes. Dad was there for this, and watching me the whole time. The stock is still broken, and the saddle-ring needs to be replaced. It hit one of the concrete shooting benches before hitting the equally hard concrete slab it was on. On the plus side, the bullet did hit where I'd intended. On the other hand... well, that gun was expensive. Dad felt stupid too. He had plenty of time to stop me, or ask me to change what I was doing. He didn't though. So he said he felt it was just as much his fault. I disagree, but it's useless arguing that stuff with him. Again, this was awhile ago. Years. Never done that again either.

As for my Saigas: I managed to put a recoil buffer in backward. It was amusing. The rear of the bolt carrier got stuck in it and held back on every shot during that range session. I also managed to launch a slip on flash hider down-range. Had it on there pretty tight. Mark 1 Eyeball showed it to be aligned with the bore. One should really use a more precise instrument for these things. The recoil was greatly reduced while it was on there. Little did I know at the time that was because the bullets were brushing against the flash-hider as they left the barrel, thus pulling the gun forward.

All of my other stupidity can be boiled down to one rule: DO NOT attempt gun repair anyplace except a work bench. Your lap is not, I repeat: NOT, an acceptable substitute. Springs, pins, screws and more all get lost easily that way.

My Saiga-12 went tumbling down, safety off, round in the chamber, to rest mud-splattered at the bottom of the ravine, barrel pointed directly at me.

of course, the million dollar question... did it discharge?

The answer to that question is why I can sit here today telling the story.

Well, I can tell you from experience that shooting a wild bee hive is not a very good idea. You would not believe how pissed off those little guys get, and I could not believe that I was able to run away that fast.

Learned the hard way that bees can fly faster than I can run.

Well, I can tell you from experience that shooting a wild bee hive is not a very good idea. You would not believe how pissed off those little guys get, and I could not believe that I was able to run away that fast.

Learned the hard way that bees can fly faster than I can run.

Oh yeah... :)

I love honeybees... they are one of my favorite animals. I would never attack their hive like that, but I have gotten too close to one once and they chased me away. They can almost reach 20mph, so you had best be a really fast runner.. :)

Good warning though... people are bound to try this at some point. Bees have no idea that you shot their hive with a gun... they just know that they were attacked and they immediately go after the first thing that they see. Try popping their hive with a paintball gun or something when a larger animal like a deer or something is nearby... not sure on the legality of an indirect take-down of a buck with a paintball gun though... :)

Firing 12ga 3" slugs with a standard AK buttstock... and no buttpad... is not recommended.

Looking into the trapdoor while attempting to extract a cleaning kit on an AK stockset and having the thing launch out and tag you right in the forehead...

Edited by zenmetsu

How's this one...

I listened to lots of posters on this forum complain about how hard it was to turn the gas adjustment plug the first time. It was hard for me too, so i figured, after trying, and reciting a few choice phrases, I'd tackle that later....

Later came & I noticed that little spring loaded retainer pin that locks the plug in place. It seems that pin must be pushed in BEFORE trying to turn the plug!

Go fuckikg figure!post-19652-1252258489.gif

AFTER pushing it in to unlock the damn plug... It actually turns quite easily. :bag:

Put this post in the wall of shame... :bag:

Missing simple shit like that is humbling.

This thread should be stickied!