Hollow Points From Factory FMJ?

Okay, here are some results:

1) The modified Wolf fmj (hollow points) feed well from the ten-round factory mag. They DID NOT feed reliably with Bulgarian military 30-rounders...even with the bullet guide installed.

2) The hollowpoint accuracy to 100 yards is on par with the standard Wolf fmj out of the Saiga.

3) In repeated tests, the hollowpoint bullets fired from ~20 yards penetrated three 1/2gal water-filled milk cartons taped together (that's 12 inches minimum), destroying the first two cartons in the process.

4) The only bullets recovered were tiny fragments of steel jacket and lead core from inside the third carton and scattered around on the ground.

post-5127-12528984197751_thumb.jpg

post-5127-12528985275046_thumb.jpg

Edited by m1key

I think you half what a bullet does in water to estimate what it does in flesh. If they only went 12", that's a sign to not ever use them on humans. If they all exited out the side of a carton, they were still moving and ready to do more damage!

Check out the waterbox on http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Here's the rifle one they did: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot19.htm

And this test shows hollow core bullets. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot37.htm nasty!

And in this one, he does what you did! And gave a warning:

"Just a word of caution…

Any time you are shooting a round that is "open" on both ends, there is a possibility of the lead leaving the weapon and the jacket getting stuck in the rifling.

Always be sure to check the bore for obstructions before the next shot."

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot32.htm

Edited by Twinsen

I never said they all exited out the side. Only the one pictured did. All the bullets penetrated AT LEAST 3 cartons, not "only" three.

Not sure of the relevance of your "Box o' Truth" to my tests. Did he perform the SAME test that I did, with the same modified bullets? No.

BTW, here is a profile of the Wolf .223 75gr hollow point currently on the market, open at both ends. I wonder if they know they have a potential lawsuit on their hands. Someone should inform them.

post-5127-12529388851963_thumb.jpg

Edited by m1key
  • 4 weeks later...

I never said they all exited out the side. Only the one pictured did. All the bullets penetrated AT LEAST 3 cartons, not "only" three.

Not sure of the relevance of your "Box o' Truth" to my tests. Did he perform the SAME test that I did, with the same modified bullets? No.

BTW, here is a profile of the Wolf .223 75gr hollow point currently on the market, open at both ends. I wonder if they know they have a potential lawsuit on their hands. Someone should inform them.

I doubt there's a potential lawsuit. Just check your barrel after shooting these things.

More pictures...

-3rd carton penetration

-jug was laid on end, shot through the bottom, exit through the top

True... that jug shredded a little more, but I don't think you need to cut the tip off to get basically the same effect. The round was designed that way on purpose.

Here's a couple of jugs I shot yesterday with my Saiga 5.45, using Bulgie FMJ -w- 50 gr bullets. (plain, unmodified)

post-1293-12553802140637_thumb.jpg post-1293-12553802326685_thumb.jpg

Now if you REALLY want to blow them up good...use a Saiga - 12 with slugs! :devil:

post-1293-12553802479225_thumb.jpg post-1293-12553802626667_thumb.jpg

If im not mistaken, i was told by a couple Vietnam Vets that the North Vietnamese took their 7.62x39 FMJ's and filed the points flat a little bit to do more damage on impact, and from some of the stories ive heard from Vets, the effects were utterly DEVASTATING! Of course it was a direct violation of the Geneva Convention, but its not like they cared about that...

Filing the tip off a FMJ means less effective penetration on target, and on the way to target. Cutting through foliage was a big issue in that war, and soft point ammo would have been less effective if firing through plants or if the enemy was wearing a helmet and flak vest.