Have a chance to pick up a Vepr here is a question.

I have a chance to pick up a Vepr soon. In fact two Veprs: Vepr 223 and Vepr 308. While I am aware that Vepr 223 takes AK74 mags with special mod, can Vepr 223 take Saiga 223 mags? Can Vepr 223 take AK mags in 223?

More importantly can Vepr 308 take Saiga 308 mags?

Thanx

The .308 Vepr can be mod'd to take the Saiga mag's .

if its a gud price buy first ask questions later when it comes to a vepr.

+1 On that. Remember that Robinson Armament Veprs go for more than the wood thumbholse stock ones.

Even if it doesn't take certain mags on the first go, I'd bet something or another could be modded/filed to allow high cap mags affordably. The biggest change to use AK74 mags in a .223 Vepr is the follower.

• 2 weeks later...

You can have the magwell opened up a little bit on the .223 Vepr to use the Steel German Weiger mags. Bulgy waffles work also, but they are a little tight in mine, but they will wear in and be fine.

5.45 mags can be modified to work, but it is not worth the trouble now a days,because 5.45 mags are $20 something each now not the $5 that they use to be !

Spend the few extra bucks and get the bulgy waffles !

Hope this helps ....

Promag .223 AK magazines will fit and function in the Vepr II .223 series with no modification and are less than $20 per mag. I know, Promag does not have the best reputation as far as AR-15 magazines, but they do fit the Vepr like they were made for that rifle and have a lifetime warranty. Steel Weiger, Galil and AK-74 magazine will have to be modified to fit. Oh, and RobArms has long since discontinued their AK-74 followers for the .223 Vepr rifles.

• 2 weeks later...

Robinson Arms still list the followers on their website for $5.99 ea.

Take a look under AK parts,they are still listed whether or not they have them I do not know .

I really do not recommend that advice.

Those followers arrived when there were few to no .223 AK mags available here.

Today, we have many options, most of which can be made to work in a .223 Vepr.

Sorry, but the .223 cartridge doesn't match the 5.45x39 magazine shape (no matter what followers you use)

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I have a chance to pick up a Vepr soon. In fact two Veprs: Vepr 223 and Vepr 308. While I am aware that Vepr 223 takes AK74 mags with special mod, can Vepr 223 take Saiga 223 mags? Can Vepr 223 take AK mags in 223?

More importantly can Vepr 308 take Saiga 308 mags?

Thanx

He

Hello Tigerclaw:

I have a Robinson Arms Vepr .308 that I sent to Krebs Custom for evaluation, to determine feasibility of modification to accept Saiga .308 Surefire mags. Upon examination, Marc said he was not comfortable with such a conversion, as it involved such extensive milling of the front trunnion, that it would leave it in a weakened condition.

I then inquired about the possibility of converting the mags to fit the gun, and he said he would have to remove so much of the magazine body where it fits into the action, that it would make the magazine weak, unreliable and he wouldn't trust it. He suggested modifying the gun to accept Galil .308 mags, which he said was a simple, clean, safe and reliable conversion! He said the Galil mags are very good and more obtainable than the Vepr mags. I have long searched the net for .308 Vepr mags, and have yet to find one! In one nights search, I found all the new Israeli .308 Galil mags that I could possibly want, with the only drawback being that they are $99 dollars a pop, plus shipping. I then read that the original Galil .308 mags used by the IDF, were in fact modified M14/M1A mags.

I then asked Marc how difficult that modification would be, and he said that it would be a false economy, and that the converted mags would end up being more expensive and less reliable than the Galil mags, if you had them professionally done. I bought one of the Galil mags (ouch) and sent it to Marc, and told him to go ahead with the conversion. I will just have to pick up additional mags, when they are available, and as finances allow. I just wasn't comfortable having only 2 mags for my Vepr, 1-5 round and 1-10. I hope all this helps.

• Like 1