Glock 21 .45acp to a Glock 20 10mm conversion

Yep, I have been doing this for years. I have a spare Glock 20 slide with barrel and recoil spring. I slap it on a change mags. I believe that Lone Wolf also makes a special barrel for this conversion that will allow you to do the change over with your factory G21 slide.

Either way you will love it, a real 10mm loading is a serious handguners dream for the auto pistol.

I heard that the slide is weighted different in the Glock 10mm than in the Glock .45 slide to help with functioning, and also factory loads should be fine but heavy hand loads may not...... thoughts?

http://glockmeister.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=325

Any thoughts on these conversion barrels? Would I need to change my extractor or would the .45 one do fine for 10mm?

Edited by THE_HUNTER
What is the best route to do this? I have a Glock 21 now but would like to convert it to 10mm. Thanks!

Convert G21 to $$$. Buy G20.

I wouldn't recommend mixing and matching parts to make a frankenstein 10mm G21 unless you're absolutely sure the slide and recoil spring are correct. By the time you've bought new mags, slide, recoil spring and barrel a la carte, you might as well have bought a whole G20.

What is the best route to do this? I have a Glock 21 now but would like to convert it to 10mm. Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend mixing and matching parts to make a frankenstein 10mm G21 unless you're absolutely sure the slide and recoil spring are correct. By the time you've bought new mags, slide, recoil spring and barrel a la carte, you might as well have bought a whole G20.

Good point. Then I can have a designated platform too.

I Have a glock29 which is the subcompact version of the G20... What i like about it is that i can use G20 mags through it with a +2 bottom plate making it 17rounds of BOOM... My new Glock 21SF will finally be converted in a few days to a 50Gi... I will post pics of it soon..Which ever way you go either with 10mm or 50Gi they both will get the job done....The only down side in converting to 50GI is price :cryss: ...It has put a huge hole in my wallet... The slide actually cost more than my brand new glock.. totaling about $1200 which sucks really bad..I think i posted a photo of it before but here is another one..

post-16872-1252207115_thumb.jpg

I Have a glock29 which is the subcompact version of the G20... What i like about it is that i can use G20 mags through it with a +2 bottom plate making it 17rounds of BOOM... My new Glock 21SF will finally be converted in a few days to a 50Gi... I will post pics of it soon..Which ever way you go either with 10mm or 50Gi they both will get the job done....The only down side in converting to 50GI is price :cryss: ...It has put a huge hole in my wallet... The slide actually cost more than my brand new glock.. totaling about $1200 which sucks really bad..I think i posted a photo of it before but here is another one..

That is awesome!!!!!! The .50GI still I don't think would have the penetration I would need like in the face of an angry brown bear, but man I would love to say I carry a .50!!! I envy you!! :super:

That is one of the problems with the Internet. You have one man that has experience with a particular subject, having done it for years.

Then you have the peanut gallery who all have an opinion, as baseless as it is, and they somehow feel that that their thoughts have equal credence.

If you are not smart enough to separate the wheat from the chaff, perhaps you are out of your depth here...

Whatever, have fun! :lol:

• Like 1

That is one of the problems with the Internet. You have one man that has experience with a particular subject, having done it for years.

Then you have the peanut gallery who all have an opinion, as baseless as it is, and they somehow feel that that their thoughts have equal credence.

If you are not smart enough to separate the wheat from the chaff, perhaps you are out of your depth here...

Whatever, have fun! :lol:

+1 Azrial

The frame of the 45 acp and the 10mm are the same. Just like the .40 and 9mm are the same. The different calibers (45 to 10mm or .40 to 9mm) are interchangable and there is not a problem with it.

+1 Azrial

The frame of the 45 acp and the 10mm are the same. Just like the .40 and 9mm are the same. The different calibers (45 to 10mm or .40 to 9mm) are interchangable and there is not a problem with it.

Yeah, I have found that when someone needs to resort to tales of the supernatural, like Frankenstein, to dismiss an idea, their opinion needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. I think Chris Columbus had the same problem!

Like I said, I have done it for years and thousands of rounds.

Azrial who would have a complete Glock 20 upper for sale? I want one :smoke:

Sorry, that I can't help you with. I found mine at a Gunshow and snapped it up for $175! I have no clue what Glock would want for one, or even if they will sell one that way.

That is why I mentioned the LoneWolf conversion barrel. But, I have never tried the LoneWolf and can not tell you how well it works! I do have a good friend that has one of the 9mm conversion barrels for his Glock 27 (40 S&W) and it works like a charm according to him. I am looking forward to testing it myself, while a spare G26 would be the idea, it would be a huge advantage to be able to just carry a conversion barrel, mag and spring!

Edited by Azrial

I tried to post last night but this POS computer would not listen to my demands (coulda been the vodka). I am well versed in lone wolfs products

( www.lonewolfdistributors.com ) They are an excellent company that offers amazing solutions, if you read about my setup in the post glock vs. steel cased ammo you will truly understand my love for them and the quality products that they put out. While your at it get a compensator, you'll be amazed by the reduction in recoil and your ability to keep a longer string of shots on target.

Oh yea whoever said get a new frame was correct. Sell that motha and start with a new gen 3 G20 frame (with rail) there frickin sweet.

If you need any help send me a PM.

Good Luck!

YARP

FWIW I used LoneWolf to convert my G35 to 9mm. Nice barrel, except for that big freaking logo they put on it :rolleyes:

It ran fine with everything but some of the cheap Brown Bear stuff, I put a softer spring in it and it has run 100% for the last 1000+ rds.

From my research, you do not have to replace the frame to goto 10mm. But I have not actually done it. I would take Azrial's word for it.

That is awesome!!!!!! The .50GI still I don't think would have the penetration I would need like in the face of an angry brown bear, but man I would love to say I carry a .50!!! I envy you!! :super:

They have a few hot loads they make for the 50gi going around 1200fps using a Deep copper hollow point bullet..And i believe reeds ammo might start loading Gold dots at around 1300fps...This is just a start to this wonderful caliber...I dont know if you are looking for something a little hotter than that..I usually carry my 10mm using doubletap ammo... www.doubletapammo.com ..I preferably use 135gr Nosler Jacketed hollow point traveling at 1600fps ...It is one bad ass round if you wanna light up an indoor gun range...

But if you are going in bear country i would suggest nothing less than 44mag ... I carry an Alaskan snubbie 454 casuall for places like that..

They have a few hot loads they make for the 50gi going around 1200fps using a Deep copper hollow point bullet..And i believe reeds ammo might start loading Gold dots at around 1300fps...This is just a start to this wonderful caliber...

THAT would make this new caliber a lot more interesting to me!

• 3 weeks later...

Before using a .50Gi for bear protection, check this and peruse the forum. There is waaay more to take into effect than just bullet diameter when a brownie is coming at you.

I'd also check out the threads on 10mm and the chrono-ing of some double tap ammo

I'm just curious... Why would you want a 10mm over a .45ACP?

I just thought that a .45 was the big boy on the block. I'm no sidearm expert, so somebody please be gentle.

So here it is by the numbers:

The 10mm Auto has a maximum case pressure of 37,500psi and .45 acp maxes out at 21,000 psi (SAAMI gives .45ACP+P rounds 23,000psi), this allows for the 10mm to achieve higher velocities. I do like .45 ACP, especially in a 1911, but I wouldn't trade my Glock 20. For some insight into why, check out the .45acp for bear protection and check out the wikipedia pages on both, the muzzle energies and velocities speak for themselves.

I hate to reference another forum for all this, but it's all been hashed out and those guys from back home are EXTREME gun nuts.

As for top dog, I'd personally consider the .500 S&W mag the big boy on the block, 3000ft-lbs at the muzzle is impressive. For semi-autos though the .460 Rowland is looking to be the big dog, it's a little funky, but it is reaching into the .44mag category in a non-desert eagle platform (which I despise because I'm a backwoods guy when I'm home in AK and reliability is a must, hence why I hike with my G20 and S12 on me :smoke: ).

I hope I didn't come off as an ass, just trying to spread the knowledge because knowledge >> fear. It's going to be the only way to show the anti-gun lobby we aren't crazy.

I hope I didn't come off as an ass, just trying to spread the knowledge because knowledge >> fear. It's going to be the only way to show the anti-gun lobby we aren't crazy.

Are you joking? That was just the type of answer I was hoping to get.

Thanks for proving to the intellegentsia anti gun lobby that we are more than capable of rational explanation and comprehension!

I'll stick with my XD9, and I'm sure the husband will stay with his 1911... I just wanted to get some new knowledge, to which I am indebted to you for.

Thanks!

Glock cut corners and rushed the .40 to market by modifying a 9mm, rather than designing a new pistol. It's a good thing the base 9mm Glock is as tough as it is. Few other manufacturers could have done the same thing with one of their 9's.

Now, going from .45 to 10mm is probably safer. You shouldn't have to worry about lack of chamber support, but the slide will be too light unless you drop in a heavier recoil spring.

Just because the parts interchange doesn't mean it's a smart idea. You can save the kool-aid for the true believers. I was one station over when I caught frags from a G29 kaboom. The shooter was lucky to only need a few stitches with no permanent damage. Now that being said, I'm perfectly confident to trust my life to a 9mm Glock. Different guns - different issues.

The 10mm is the king of the combat autopistol calibers! Rounds like the .460 Roland, generate more energy but this a hunting type round is way too powerful for social purposes. Kind of like claiming the the .460 Weatherbee is superior to the 7.62x51 NATO as a combat cartridge.

Hello

The 50gi is not considered a magnum round but from my previous test results that i posted here on this forum that you can check here http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=45045 has pretty much turned my head the other way with controlable stopping power.. It has a larger cavity wound channel than my 10mm using hot doubletap loads..also penetration using 185gr went up to 8inches at 18ft,, and the bullet expanded over an inch..another thing my 454casull nor my 10mm never did...I currently have corbon loading hotter loads at 1350fps...Which more than likely will have deeper penetration than 8inches..Either way you go if it is a 10mm or 454 or 50gi..it should get the job done if you are lurking in the backwoods..

Before using a .50Gi for bear protection, check this and peruse the forum. There is waaay more to take into effect than just bullet diameter when a brownie is coming at you.

I'd also check out the threads on 10mm and the chrono-ing of some double tap ammo

The 10mm is the king of the combat autopistol calibers! Rounds like the .460 Roland, generate more energy but this a hunting type round is way too powerful for social purposes. Kind of like claiming the the .460 Weatherbee is superior to the 7.62x51 NATO as a combat cartridge.

I can't agree more, Azrial. The .460 rowland and cartridges with greater energy are better suited for hunting or self defense against large four legged critters. I picked up a 10mm because it's welled suited for self defense and I can pack around with it in the woods, feeling confident that if I set my s12 with 10 brenneke 3" black magic magnum slugs down I still have something on me that can deter a bear.

voonman, I am impressed that they're loading a .50GI and now have no qualms with it's performance. I hadn't run across to many ballistics test of .50GI and was skeptical because of the case pressure. I too would take any of the three (10mm,.454,.50GI) for a backwoods gun.

edit: added reply to voonman

Edited by zaxon

The hunter, I know this kinda went off topic and got on the .50GI soooo, unlike what that uneducated "drink the kool aid" douche aresv says your not inter changing parts they were made to be used this way when you order from lone wolf, and yes I agree with azrial that 10mm is the best all around round your gonna get when your trying to get something that can be used in a combat situation and a hunting/survival situation.

oh yeah all these claims of guns going kaboom all the fing time is really starting to piss me off, it's like having a discussion with your 4yr old trying to get them to eat lunch, they know there losing the arguement so they throw it under the table and say oscar the grouch came and ate it.

piss off and give me proof drink the kool aid guy.

• 2 weeks later...

The hunter, I know this kinda went off topic and got on the .50GI soooo, unlike what that uneducated "drink the kool aid" douche aresv says your not inter changing parts they were made to be used this way when you order from lone wolf, and yes I agree with azrial that 10mm is the best all around round your gonna get when your trying to get something that can be used in a combat situation and a hunting/survival situation.

oh yeah all these claims of guns going kaboom all the fing time is really starting to piss me off, it's like having a discussion with your 4yr old trying to get them to eat lunch, they know there losing the arguement so they throw it under the table and say oscar the grouch came and ate it.

piss off and give me proof drink the kool aid guy.

A lot of hostility there, buddy... Aresv is not talking out of his ass. As far as I can tell, the vast majority of .40 S&W and up Glock firearms are perfectly safe to fire, and Glocks are certainly not the only firearms which fail catastrophically on an occasional basis. I own a G23 myself and have put several hundred rounds through it without issue. I feel a thousand times safer with that weapon than I would with a Hi-Point. That being said, rare failures do occur. Since you want documented examples, I found one documented example, and a website that refers to several more:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/40fed-kb.html

http://www.f-r-i.com/glock/FAQ/FAQ-kb.htm

I also own two CZ-52s and a Chinese Type 54, and regularly put various military surplus ammunition through all three, even the Bulgarian and Czech stuff people periodically panic about. The pistols eat it all, although the hard primers often require a double strike from all but the CZ with the replaced hammer spring and firing pin. The everpresent possibility of a catastrophic failure is a part of gun ownership. It is very unlikely that it will ever happen to you. Eye protection rocks.

I have read about Glocks going kaboom. I have handled and seen hundreds of Glocks, but I have never personally seen one that went Kaboom.

But if you have been in firearms long you will see a 1911 that has failed! The reason that you hear some many Glock stories is that it is something that the Glock haters like to talk about.

I like the 1911 and have several, but it is a lot more prone to failure then the Glock.

Sorry if I offended you Shandlanos, I just hate that kinda stuff. When I don't know something about the discussion at hand I usually try and find the person who does, I don't add my two cents. So heres what I can tell you about Glock Kabooms. The majority of Glock Kabooms happen when an individual places a +p round that was worked up for a TC Encore or variant of that nature. The other most common reason is an individual uses the wrong powder (slow burning) when reloading, this creates back pressure with no way for the shell to safley eject and vent therefore Kaboom.

The 10mm puts out WAY MORE CHAMBER PRESSURE than the .45ACP so as far as saying there could be a "lack of chamber support" going from ".45acp to 10mm" is ummm well BS. Also when you get a second weigh the G21 slide and the G20 slide next to each other. You will quickly see that there is if any at all no variation in weight, oh yes by the way they use the EXACT same recoil rod.

Just my two cents........